Old 15-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Roy

Default Walkway trellis and climbing roses.

I am in the process of building the wife a wrought iron trellis over
the front walk so she can plant some climbing roses at it. The number
of roses is unreal in regards to Name and such. The trellis is 32" on
each side, and approx 7'3" to thr eave portion of the roof structure,
and spans 42" wide across the walk. Plan on planting one rose bush on
each side. So anyo0ne have any suggestions on what would be a good
rose to plant that is not a one time deal and continually blooms
throughout the season with the dark glossy leaves, in Red, Pink or
Yellow colors.......Would like a good fast growing type at least to
cover up some of the trellis as early as possible, but its not a sheer
necessity either. Area is a minimum of 8 hours sun, with the balance
partial shade/sun, in central Alabama. Freezing is usually not a
factor around this area. There is just so many to try and choose from
(in books anyhow) it boggles the mind, and then you can not usually
find those names when you visit a garden center..........

Just how far in front of the side panels of this trellis would you
plant a climbing rose anyhow........Would 6 to 8 inches be sufficient?
Soil is basically a sandy loam predominately sand, but will dig hole
of sufficient size so good potting or top soil can be added.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 15-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Best to visit a good local nursery or garden center (not a box store) and
see what they have in stock - generally, the roses offered at local
nurseries are those considered to be very gardenworthy and hardy for that
specific area. There are literally thousands of rose cultivars, many no
longer in commercial trade, so going by a book is less than helpful. Some
very popular and long blooming climbers you could consider are 'New Dawn'
(pink), 'Eden' or 'Don Juan' (red), 'Golden Showers' (yellow) or 'Joseph's
Coat' (multicolored - buds age from yellow to peachy-orange, pink and
finally red).

pam - gardengal

Old 15-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Richard Cline

In article ,
wrote:

I have about twenty different climbing roses. At times different ones
are the most attractive. Certainly one of my favorites is climbing
Peace. It puts out the long canes that would be suitable for a trellis.
It is yellow-tending to pink-with very large, showy blooms and blooms
repeatedly throughout the year.

Aother of my favorites is Sally Holmes. It also would be good on a
trellis. It has one long and extremely showy blooming season. Right
now mine has about 100 stem ends in bloom with a dozen blooms on each
stem end. The blooms are nearly white. It is highly disease resistant.

Blaze is a traditional red that does well in all conditions. Dortmond
is another red that is showy and reliable.

Dick

[...]

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com

Old 15-05-2004, 04:08 PM
David Ross

Is there a botanical garden or rose garden near you? If so, visit
it and see if they have an arbor with climbing roses.

You probably won't get good coverage until the third or even fourth
year. Also, remember that climbers bloom from vertical shoots; to
maximize flowers, you need the main canes to be horizontal in order
to get many vertical side shoots.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 16-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Sunflower

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I hate to disagree, but I absolutely MUST. Nurseries stock whatever will

sell, whether or not it's suited to the climate. THe general public doesn't
have enough rose knowledge to be able to ask for specific disease resistant
or floriferous cultivars, so you're left with the overmarketed and hyped new
roses from the major growers and the oldies but not so goodies that have
name recognition from novices. The majority of nursery owners are also
clueless about roses, except the fact that most modern ones need to be
sprayed.

Eden in the South does not repeat and usually does not have leaves unless
sprayed. Don Juan is OK if sprayed, but sprayed he must be. Golden Showers
lasts less than a day, and is one of the most BS prone of all the climbers
I've ever had.. Joseph's Coat is more of a tall floribunda than a real
climber, and those incredibly thorny canes are hard to train. Plus, in the
heat of summer, he's entirely red, with none of that gradual color change
that is so charming in April or October. And, he has to be sprayed as well.

There are a lot of easy care roses suitable for particular climates, but
often those recommendations rarely overlap. New Dawn is one that is
universally given high marks all across the country in all but the coldest
climate. It is HUGE though. 20-30 feet.

My recommendation would be to use the roses that are suited to Southern
climates and do not need spraying. Noisettes, the only class of rose to
originate on American shores (in Charleston) would be the type of rose that
would be most charming on a arbor. Madam Alfred Carriere, Duchesse d'
Aerstadt, Jaune Desprez, Crepescule, Reve d'Or, Lamarque, and Aimee Vibert
would all work very well. The climbing teas (NOT hybrid teas) would also be
suitable. Cl. Lady Hillingdon, Sombreuil, Adam, Cl. Maman Cochet, E. Veyrat
Hermanos, Devoniensis, and Triomph des Noisette would also work. I grow
all of these roses here in Mississippi, and while they can be subject to
some disease, it does not completely defoliate them or affect their vigor.
They all also have the bonus of strong fragrance. If you've never grown
ownroot roses before, you may be surprised at the difference in size between
them and the grafted ones you usually see at the nursery. They take a
little longer to get going too. But, in the end, they are the MUCH better
choice, both for appearance and longevity. You can research these and
additional choices at http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php You can
also view pictures of the suggestions. HMF also can give you sources for
purchase. Ashdown Roses, Roses Unlimited, Vintage Gardens, and Antique Rose
Emporium are time tested and I highly recommend them.

You won't be able to find any of these at a local nursery. It's a little
late to get your order in this year, and fall planting of small ownroots
isn't recommended in the transitional zones of 6-9. You don't have enough
time to get them established before the heat stress of summer begins even if
you were able to find some now. Planning which ones to choose and then
ordering them for spring delivery next year would give you the best chance
at success. Plant some annual vines like cardinal creeper or hyacinth vine
this year and plan the more permanant installations for later. Of course,
you'll need clematis as the roses companions, and Chalk Hill Clematis will
be your best source for those.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 16-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Bill R

Roy wrote:
[...]

Roy,

I did the same thing about eight years ago. I checked with
several local rose growers who suggested several climbers
that they have grown for many years. Some of their
suggestions we Red - either Don Juan or Blaze, Pink -
Climbing Peace or Queen Elizabeth, Yellow - Golden Showers.
I decided to go with a red climber and I choose Blaze.

I planted one bush on each side of the trellis (about 6
inches from the trellis) and in the second year I got a good
amount of blooms and many more blooms every years since
then. On my website, I have a picture of how the trellis
looked last year (the bushes were seven years old)
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/page4L.htm

As you can see, they did quite well last year and this year
they look like they will be just as beautiful.

I would talk to some rose growers in your area and see what
climbers have done well for them. I have some neighbors who
have said that some of their climbers are over forty years
old and except for losing a few bushes during some very cold
winters (-20 degrees) most of them do quite well.

Good luck and here is a link to some pictures of my other
roses from my website: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/page6.htm
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850