Old 04-05-2005, 07:19 PM
nanner

Default How much growth from new roses? (and my Trellis)

I planted 2 New Dawn climbing rose plants, the cheap kind from Home Depot
(5.99 each, I think there is worse out there)

I built a nice trellis and put it up on the side of my shed and planted the
roses in front. They are growing, it looks like about 2-3" have come out in
a few spots.

It's been 2 weeks since I planted them, is this a normal rate of growth to
expect? about 1-1.5" a week or is it more random than that?

The info I read on New Dawn says they will get to be 8-10 feet so I am
wondering if I can expect that in a season...honestly I have no idea what to
expect!! This is my first attempt at roses and I am new to gardening in
general!

Any info will be helpful - I just can't seem to find the answers I want
through google.

Wanna see the trellis I built? As you can see in the picture I have shade
there part of the day.
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/Trellis.jpg

the picture was right after i built it but before i centered it and attached
it. each plant is centered in front of the 2 ladder-type sections. It's 8' x
6' I think I will put something decorative in the top middle section

thanks all!

Old 04-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Phisherman

There are so many factors to consider when determining rate of growth.
Your roses will grow fast in ideal conditions. My Don Juan roses have
16-foot canes and growing quickly. I want to trim them back but they
are now loaded with buds. I've been feeding them fish emulsion and
composted cow manure. I thin out the canes to keep good air
circulation to help prevent black spot fungus. To grow well, roses
need lots of maintenance. Nice trellis. My trellis is now 70%
covered.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
nanner

Did your trellis get 70% covered over a few seasons or in 1 season?
I'm sure I am not offering these roses "ideal conditions" but I am doing the
best I can and learnign as I go. Do you cut it all off in the fall or leave
it on the trellis year after year?

What is the fish emulsion you feed them, I'll google it I guess - unless it
is your own concoction.

I don't mind putting in the work, I look forward to it really but right now
it seems like there is nothing to do but wait.

I would like to plant someother plants around the bottom but don't know if i
should wait untill the roses grow more and become established or just go
ahead and plant now.

Live and learn I suppose )

news

Old 04-05-2005, 08:35 PM
nanner

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Nice trellis!

Thanks - it was fun and quick to make )

snipped

Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Phisherman

My roses are over 10 years old. They surprised me and grew fast the
first year. Trimming in the fall is not recommended because that
encourages new growth before winter. I look for dead canes and cut
these off at any time. I use a fish emulsion concentrate purchased
from a garden center--not cheap at $25 a gallon, but it lasts 2 or 3
years.

I planted garlic in front of my roses. Garlic is supposedly the
"companion plant" of roses. It likes the same conditions as roses and
wards off aphids and has a good appearance. I planted the garlic toes
purchased from the grocery. They come up every year, then die to the
ground in heat-intense July.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:26 PM
clc

Well, I'd say more like 7-8' this season. I have 2 New Dawns climbing up a
pergola that is (I'm guessing) 9' tall and the first season they nearly
reached the top. This is the third season and they're about 4' across the
top of the pergola.

Cheryl

Old 04-05-2005, 09:35 PM
nanner

"clc" wrote in message
Well, I'd say more like 7-8' this season. I have 2 New Dawns climbing up
pergola that is (I'm guessing) 9' tall and the first season they nearly
reached the top. This is the third season and they're about 4' across the
top of the pergola.

Cheryl

Thanks - I can't wait to see what happens!

Old 04-05-2005, 09:37 PM
nanner

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My roses are over 10 years old. They surprised me and grew fast the
first year. Trimming in the fall is not recommended because that
encourages new growth before winter. I look for dead canes and cut
these off at any time. I use a fish emulsion concentrate purchased
from a garden center--not cheap at $25 a gallon, but it lasts 2 or 3
years.

thanks for the info

I planted garlic in front of my roses. Garlic is supposedly the
"companion plant" of roses. It likes the same conditions as roses and
wards off aphids and has a good appearance. I planted the garlic toes
purchased from the grocery. They come up every year, then die to the
ground in heat-intense July.

I am planning to plant garlic and maybe something more decorative - I read
of a few that are supposed to be companions to roses.

You are missing out big-time though if you aren't at least using SOME of the
garlic greens to cook with! They make for a wicked frittata!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Doug Kanter

What kind of wood, paint? How much does it weigh? What's it held together
with? What's in the trunk of your car that you keep forgetting to bring into
the house? :-)

news

Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
nanner

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
What kind of wood, paint? How much does it weigh? What's it held together
with? What's in the trunk of your car that you keep forgetting to bring
into the house? :-)

I used TufBoard 1x2's - I googled it but didn't find anything on it to share
and I already chucked the fact-sheet I brought home from Home Depot. It's a
PVC wood composite that won't absorb water and won't rot, warp, split or
crack. You can drill it, cut it and paint it like wood (easier really) It
came in white so I left it alone but I may go out and paint the cut edges
which reveal a light wood color.

I used exterior screws that won't rust and I only had to do a few screws on
the front when I assembled it. Almost all of it was done from the back.

It was very light, I assebled it in my living room in less than an hour then
carried it out the door on it's side. I am 5'3" and the trellis is 8'x6' so
you can imagine it was a funny sight.

I used doubled-up cut-off pieces of 1x2 as spacers to attach it to the shed.
Hope that's enough space.

If what the fact-sheet says about the tufboard is true I won't have to
replace the thing for a long time.

As for the trunk - I know it's a disaster but I can't quite remember what it
was I wanted to bring in...hmmm P~~~

The lattice under the shed is the vinyl stuff - it was so simple to work
with.

news

Old 05-05-2005, 07:15 PM
David Ross

David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Gardening pages at URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/
Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 PM
David Ross

nanner wrote:

[...]

First of all, don't expect much the first year your roses are in
the ground. Their roots must get established before they can
supply moisture and nutrients to top growth. I have a climbing
'Peace' that extends along a low wall some 30 feet. It barely
reached the top of the wall (about 2.5 feet high) the first year.

This leads to the second important point. DO NOT FEED your roses
in the first year. Fertlizer will encourage top growth before the
roots can sustain it. If you then get a sudden heat wave, the
plants might wilt.

Be patient.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Wysong *~

"nanner" wrote in message
Wanna see the trellis I built? As you can see in the picture I have shade
there part of the day.
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/Trellis.jpg

That spot looks shady. Roses need a lot of sun to do well.

Wysong
~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~{@

Old 06-05-2005, 01:47 PM
nanner

"Wysong *~" invalid@invalid wrote in message

"nanner" wrote in message
Wanna see the trellis I built? As you can see in the picture I have shade
there part of the day.
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/Trellis.jpg

That spot looks shady. Roses need a lot of sun to do well.

Wysong

I have shade part of the day - it faces east and has full sun half the day.
What I read about New Dawn is that they can tolerate shade. Do you know if
that is true?