Old 16-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Phil Jones

Default tulips

hey all,

I've got a tulip question... my first year with them. i bought them from a
store rather than grow from a bulb. I know its lame, but i'm learning.

i have a question hopefully you can help out with.... when the season is
done, do i snip of the flower head, trim it right down, or do i just let the
flower die by itself and it will take care of itself next season...?

thanks a lot in advance,
phil

Old 16-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Amy D

Phil Jones wrote:

hey all,

I've got a tulip question... my first year with them. i bought them from a
store rather than grow from a bulb. I know its lame, but i'm learning.

i have a question hopefully you can help out with.... when the season is
done, do i snip of the flower head, trim it right down, or do i just let the
flower die by itself and it will take care of itself next season...?

thanks a lot in advance,
phil

I have a question similar. I bought them from the store ready to bloom,
too. I put them in a pot. What should I do with them now?

amy

Old 16-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Brian

"Phil Jones" wrote in message
.. .
hey all,

I've got a tulip question... my first year with them. i bought them from a
store rather than grow from a bulb. I know its lame, but i'm learning.

i have a question hopefully you can help out with.... when the season is
done, do i snip of the flower head, trim it right down, or do i just let

the
flower die by itself and it will take care of itself next season...?

thanks a lot in advance,
phil

Snip off the dead flower and care for them till the leaves start to
yellow. At that time you can lift them for replanting or leave them in
position for next year.
Tulips are notorious for not flowering well in following years. The bulbs
are sold when able to flower the next spring but from then on it's a matter
of luck. Daffodils are the most reliable repeaters.
Best Wishes. Brian.

Old 17-05-2004, 03:04 AM
JewelOfTheGnarf

I have tulips that I planted in the fall of 2000 and they still bloom every
spring for me. I cut off the flower at the top of the stem after the bloom has
waned, and just let the leaves die off naturally.
Last fall I dug up the bulbs and split them (they grow new bulbs that remind me
of cloves of garlic) and the smaller bulbs will need another winter before they
produce a flower.
If your bulbs are in a pot, you can cut the flower off, let the leaves die off,
then in the fall plant them in a sunny spot, and plant them as deep as their
length (a one inch bulb should be at least one inch in the ground) and plant
them pointy end up!
If you want to keep them in the pot, you can, just keep the pot in a cool spot
in the winter.

Old 17-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Amy D

JewelOfTheGnarf wrote:

I have tulips that I planted in the fall of 2000 and they still bloom every
spring for me. I cut off the flower at the top of the stem after the bloom has
waned, and just let the leaves die off naturally.
Last fall I dug up the bulbs and split them (they grow new bulbs that remind me
of cloves of garlic) and the smaller bulbs will need another winter before they
produce a flower.
If your bulbs are in a pot, you can cut the flower off, let the leaves die off,
then in the fall plant them in a sunny spot, and plant them as deep as their
length (a one inch bulb should be at least one inch in the ground) and plant
them pointy end up!
If you want to keep them in the pot, you can, just keep the pot in a cool spot
in the winter.

As long as they are cool in the winter they will be alright? in the
pot I have no cool place until winter unless I bring them in the house...

amy

Old 18-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Michelle

trim off the flower and let the greens go they recharge the bulb for
next year and that is important for the ones at the store because they
are usually forced and that depleats the bulb so let the greens go
till they die.
good luck

Old 18-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Michelle

put them in the ground
if they hav not died back yet but them in the ground now they will be
fine and need to get cold in the winter to bloom properly

Old 18-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Amy D

Thanks. I've find a spot to stick them in the ground.

amy

JewelOfTheGnarf wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
tulips question seeking Gardening 1 20-04-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips Dave&Dana Gaunky Gardening 4 12-03-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM