Old 18-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Anna

Default Garden planting question

I am new to gardening and would like to know if I can plant zucchini and
cucumbers in the same raised bed. The bed is about 15 feet long.
I am also planting musk melons. I have several raised beds that are about 2
feet apart.
I have heard that planting these things close will cause cross pollination
and affect the taste of the produce.
Thanks
Anna

Old 19-05-2004, 05:03 PM
David Ross

Anna wrote:

I am new to gardening and would like to know if I can plant zucchini and
cucumbers in the same raised bed. The bed is about 15 feet long.
I am also planting musk melons. I have several raised beds that are about 2
feet apart.
I have heard that planting these things close will cause cross pollination
and affect the taste of the produce.
Thanks
Anna

Cross-pollination would only affect what happens when you plant the
resulting seeds. The fruit containing those seeds, however, will
reflect only the plant on which it is growing. Since you harvest
and eat zucchini and cucumbers before the seeds mature (before the
fruit ripens), you will not notice any difference. Since you don't
eat the melon seeds, you won't notice any difference there either.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 20-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Sed5555

I am new to gardening and would like to know if I can plant zucchini and
cucumbers in the same raised bed. The bed is about 15 feet long.
I am also planting musk melons. I have several raised beds that are about 2
feet apart.
I have heard that planting these things close will cause cross pollination
and affect the taste of the produce.

This is a myth. Please see this article:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...t/mythseed.htm
sed5555

Old 20-05-2004, 08:05 AM
MisNomer

I don't think its the cross pollination that would affect them, its that they
are both not "roots", ie, you might be better off planting the zucchini with
onions , or the cucumber with radishes. YMMV

wondering what a zuccumber would taste like or how big you could get a cucumber.
My zuchinis are always over a foot long.

take care
Liz

Old 21-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Amy D

MisNomer wrote:

I don't think its the cross pollination that would affect them, its that they
are both not "roots", ie, you might be better off planting the zucchini with
onions , or the cucumber with radishes. YMMV

wondering what a zuccumber would taste like or how big you could get a cucumber.
My zuchinis are always over a foot long.

take care
Liz

Hmm...both not roots? My grandma ALWAYS taught me to mix carrot and
radish seeds and plant. The radishes would come out first and it would
naturally thin the carrots. But maybe there was no "cross-taste"
because they ripened at different times.

amy

Old 23-05-2004, 07:05 AM
MisNomer

Well now you tell me! lol... excellent idea!

I think what I was referring to was "companion gardening" - popular? a few years
ago.

take care
Liz

Old 26-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Anna

Thanks for all of the information. I don't plan on saving any seeds this
year.

Anna