Old 20-05-2004, 05:11 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Any insurance agents here? A question

I got a question.
Most auto insurers will waive the deductable and pay for chip repair on a
windshield rather than pay for a windshield replacement minus the deductable.
Well, I have a willow tree that's dying. $950 to have it taken day, and that
doesn't include the stump. Another $275 for this.
I can't afford to have this done. There are a few big limbs that hang out over
my neighbors fence and inground swimming pool. Do you think the insurance
company who writes my homeowner's policy might pay to have the tree
taken down or at least the dead limbs removed rather than eventually pay not
only for cleaning up fallen limbs, but also paying for any damage done to
neighbor's property?

Old 20-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill Spohn

Do you think the insurance
company who writes my homeowner's policy might pay to have the tree
taken down or at least the dead limbs removed rather than eventually pay not
only for cleaning up fallen limbs, but also paying for any damage done to
neighbor's property?

Nice try.

They not only will not pay - they won't likely pay out a claim if it does fall
down (or will collect it back from you after having to pay your neighbour)
because you had a pre-existing dangerous condition that you knew about but did
nothing to correct.

Your tree=your problem. Try throwing rocks at your own windshield and see if
they pay for the repair work ;-)

You can't just sit on your hands if you have a problem that may affect other
people and say "Oh my - I guess someone esle will pay" - although far too many
people do seem to adopt your approach.
Old 20-05-2004, 06:03 PM
chaz

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
I got a question.
Most auto insurers will waive the deductable and pay for chip repair on a
windshield rather than pay for a windshield replacement minus the

deductable.
Well, I have a willow tree that's dying. $950 to have it taken day, and

that
doesn't include the stump. Another $275 for this.
I can't afford to have this done. There are a few big limbs that hang out

over
my neighbors fence and inground swimming pool. Do you think the insurance
company who writes my homeowner's policy might pay to have the tree
taken down or at least the dead limbs removed rather than eventually pay

not
only for cleaning up fallen limbs, but also paying for any damage done to
neighbor's property?

car insurance with FULL glass, they dont do it for nothing............and
they arent likely to pay out for something that "might" happen.

thats why its called insurance

Old 20-05-2004, 06:03 PM
TOM KAN PA

and they arent likely to pay out for something that "might" happen.
____Reply Separator_____
Then why do health insurance carries pay for mamograms, colon screenings, etc.?

Old 20-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Vox Humana

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
and they arent likely to pay out for something that "might" happen.
____Reply Separator_____
Then why do health insurance carries pay for mamograms, colon screenings,

etc.?

Because the procedures are a stated part of the coverage. Health
"insurance" differs from other types of insurance, like fire insurance.
There is a component to healthcare called prevention or wellness.
Homeowner's insurance is designed to spread the risk of catastrophic loss
over a large base of policy holders. It isn't generally designed to prevent
loss by paying for maintenance. However, an insurance company may decline
to write a policy if they inspect you home and find dangerous conditions.

If you applied the concept of prevention to homeowner's insurance, you could
rightfully expect the insurance company to fix your broken porch railing,
replace heaved sidewalks, have your chimney cleaned, and so on. If that
were the standard for policies, you would never be able to afford the
premiums.

As someone mentioned, if you know that the tree poses a likely danger and
you don't address the problem, you might be willfully negligent.

Old 20-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Retiredff

happen. ____Reply Separator_____
Then why do health insurance carries pay for mamograms, colon
screenings, etc.?

Because the procedures are a stated part of the coverage.

And some testing is required, by law, to be covered.

Old 20-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Mike LaMana

I agree with the others - it's the owners responsibility to take care of the
property. If you knew your electrical panel was sparking would you fix it or
wait for the house to catch fire so Allstate could call the electrician for
you?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC