Old 23-05-2004, 07:08 AM
MOLLOYRO

Default Would this work?

I have a 10 round area where a pine tree was removed. The
'grass' that is in the area is full of creeping charlie and everything
that shouldn't be there; If I spray Round Up on this area,
wait a week or more and then lay down newspaper, cover
the newspaper with topsoil and then sow grass seed, would
this work? I need to find a way to make this a grassy area
without tilling as a result of a spinal injury. Thanks. Rosie
Old 23-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Vox Humana

"MOLLOYRO" wrote in message
I have a 10 round area where a pine tree was removed. The
'grass' that is in the area is full of creeping charlie and everything
that shouldn't be there; If I spray Round Up on this area,
wait a week or more and then lay down newspaper, cover
the newspaper with topsoil and then sow grass seed, would
this work? I need to find a way to make this a grassy area
without tilling as a result of a spinal injury. Thanks. Rosie

I would skip the Round-up and just put down a thick layer of newspaper.
Water the newspaper and cover with some mulch. Let that sit all summer. In
the fall, remove the covering, and seed the area. New lawns do best in most
areas when planted in the fall anyway.

Old 23-05-2004, 05:03 PM
David Ross

MOLLOYRO wrote:

I have a 10 round area where a pine tree was removed. The
'grass' that is in the area is full of creeping charlie and everything
that shouldn't be there; If I spray Round Up on this area,
wait a week or more and then lay down newspaper, cover
the newspaper with topsoil and then sow grass seed, would
this work? I need to find a way to make this a grassy area
without tilling as a result of a spinal injury. Thanks. Rosie

Wait three weeks. You only have to wait two weeks for the Roundup
that is in the soil to decompose safely. But I would wait an extra
week to see that everything is really dead and that you don't have
to spray Roundup again.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 24-05-2004, 05:03 PM
David Ross

What I meant was that you don't have to bother with newspaper. You
can sow your grass seed directly on the existing soil, or you can
add a little topsoil if you wish.

Old 25-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 23 May 2004 08:43:59 -0700, David Ross
wrote:

MOLLOYRO wrote:

I have a 10 round area where a pine tree was removed. The
'grass' that is in the area is full of creeping charlie and everything
that shouldn't be there; If I spray Round Up on this area,
wait a week or more and then lay down newspaper, cover
the newspaper with topsoil and then sow grass seed, would
this work? I need to find a way to make this a grassy area
without tilling as a result of a spinal injury. Thanks. Rosie

Wait three weeks. You only have to wait two weeks for the Roundup
that is in the soil to decompose safely. But I would wait an extra
week to see that everything is really dead and that you don't have
to spray Roundup again.

Glysophate (RoundUp) has virtually no effect on seeds, and you can
theoretically spray the weeds and put down grass seed on the same day.
3-4 days should be a more than sufficient wait time. The OP's
original idea seems sound, with the wait time mostly to let the weeds
die completely. Topping with newspaper should prevent the emergence of
new weeds. By the time it decays, the grass will have a good start. Be
sure to use the RoundUp on a calm day, as it *will* kill growing
grass.

[IMG] code is On

Plants you would f*** if you knew no1 would find out tuliplover69 Garden Photos 3 26-12-2008 07:17 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 14 16-08-2004 04:36 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 0 15-08-2004 11:22 AM
Pump to bottom drain - would this work? RichToyBox Ponds 3 08-05-2003 03:32 PM