Old 15-08-2004, 11:22 AM
BC DEX

Default WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND?

Has any one here made a pond out of live stock watering tanks?
I know they have those rubber made ones that are very large and I don't
think you would even need a liner.
You could bury it or even set it on the ground and build around it.
Just a thought.....What do you think?

Dex

Old 15-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Dex,

I have three Rubbermaid watering troughs incorporated
into my above ground set up for my ponds. The work great.

Tom L.L.
------------------------

Old 15-08-2004, 03:57 PM

I would imagine the plastic ones will be around for the next millennium. one word.
do check to make sure there is no leak on the plug on the bottom before you bury it.

I personally like cedar decks around my ponds. ... you can also have it partially
out of the ground, part in and put decking around the exposed part. particularly
good for sitting next to it, and for keeping unwanted water out of it. do build a
netting system into the design, and if you get real winter some kind of plastic
greenhouse over it as well. Ingrid

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:22:50 -0500, (BC DEX) wrote:
Has any one here made a pond out of live stock watering tanks?
I know they have those rubber made ones that are very large and I don't
think you would even need a liner.
You could bury it or even set it on the ground and build around it.
Just a thought.....What do you think?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 16-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Gary

(BC DEX) wrote in message ...
Has any one here made a pond out of live stock watering tanks?
I know they have those rubber made ones that are very large and I don't
think you would even need a liner.
You could bury it or even set it on the ground and build around it.
Just a thought.....What do you think?

Dex

Dex-
I have a 300-gal. Rubbermaid stock tank that I've used as a fish pond
for about 10 years with absolutely no problems at all. I dug out a
semi-circular place in the hillside in my back yard, put the pond in,
then rocked up around the front. Has a waterfall that flows down into
it. Looks great.

Ingrid is right that you need to be sure that the drain plug in the
bottom is well sealed so it wont leak if you don't intend to use it to
drain the tank. I had trouble with that - and is seemed that nothing
worked, not even rubber silicone sealant. Everything I tried would
leak under the pressure (weight) of the water when I filled the tank.
Luckily, my neighbor, who works for a company that builds large
aquariums (like you see at Sea World, the Boston Aquarium, etc.), gave
me some stuff they use professionally that worked great. I don't
remember what it was, but it was made by DOW Chemical and came in a
tube for use in a calking gun. Maybe someone else knows what works.
Good luck with your pond.
Gary

Old 16-08-2004, 01:45 AM
RichToyBox

One of our ex-members MAD had one in southwest Texas and it worked well for
her. Doc Johnson has some info on his web site at
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles
about them needing some time to final cure if not already fully cured.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 16-08-2004, 04:36 AM
~ Windsong ~

"BC DEX" wrote in message
Has any one here made a pond out of live stock watering tanks?
I know they have those rubber made ones that are very large and I don't
think you would even need a liner.
You could bury it or even set it on the ground and build around it.
Just a thought.....What do you think?

Dex

=======================
They work. A friend of mine had one for her livestock and put a few
goldfish in it to keep the mosquitoes down. When she got rid of the
livestock (health reasons) she added a few pond plants and a cheap filter.
The fish thrived. I don't know what happened as they moved away....
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

Old 16-08-2004, 04:36 AM
~ Windsong ~

"BC DEX" wrote in message
[...]

Plants you would f*** if you knew no1 would find out tuliplover69 Garden Photos 3 26-12-2008 07:17 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 0 15-08-2004 11:22 AM
Would this work? MOLLOYRO Gardening 4 25-05-2004 12:04 PM
Pump to bottom drain - would this work? RichToyBox Ponds 3 08-05-2003 03:32 PM