Old 23-05-2004, 07:03 PM
JNY

Default Oak Trees

I've been growing some Oak trees in pots for about 3 years now. They
are doing rather well, but the time has come (I believe) for me to
transplant them to a more permanent home. I'm not the greatest
gardener in the world, so I don't have a great deal of experience in
this matter. I don't want them to die due to my mishandling, as it
has taken some effort to get them to the stage they are at presently.

Is this the right time of year?

Is there anything I should know before proceeding?

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Are they old enough / too old?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
JNY
Old 24-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Emil

"JNY" wrote in message
I've been growing some Oak trees in pots for about 3 years now. They
are doing rather well, but the time has come (I believe) for me to
transplant them to a more permanent home. I'm not the greatest
gardener in the world, so I don't have a great deal of experience in
this matter. I don't want them to die due to my mishandling, as it
has taken some effort to get them to the stage they are at presently.

Is this the right time of year?

Is there anything I should know before proceeding?

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Are they old enough / too old?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
JNY

Not to go off topic to much, but in your area do they allow people to remove
oak trees? Here in Southern, CA we can only trim oak trees. You need a
special permit to remove one. Is it like that anywhere else?

Emil

Old 24-05-2004, 04:02 PM
JNY

"Emil" wrote in message ...
"JNY" wrote in message
[...]

I live in the UK, and I've grown these trees from seek in pots, so
there shouldn'y be a problem!
Old 24-05-2004, 05:02 PM
figaro

I have read that most nursery people cut the taproot from oaks when planting
to encourage a more fibrous root system. I don't know if I agree with this
or not but I would assume the taproot is only important in areas with low
rainfall or very windy areas?

I have also read that planting in the fall is best, especially in my neck of
the woods because summer drought and heat can be stressful on a newly
planted tree. In the fall, the tree would have time to put out new roots
and settle in before cold weather and would have a head start for spring.
However, I have also read that plants in pots can be planted at any time; I
guess it just depends on your climate. Since you have more than one, maybe
you could experiment. Good luck.

Old 24-05-2004, 05:05 PM
David Ross

JNY wrote:

I've been growing some Oak trees in pots for about 3 years now. They
are doing rather well, but the time has come (I believe) for me to
transplant them to a more permanent home. I'm not the greatest
gardener in the world, so I don't have a great deal of experience in
this matter. I don't want them to die due to my mishandling, as it
has taken some effort to get them to the stage they are at presently.

Is this the right time of year?

Plant them in the early fall, while the soil is still somewhat warm
but the air is cool. This will encourage new root growth without
prompting foliage growth. If you plant now, you might get more
foliage than the roots can supply with moisture.

Is there anything I should know before proceeding?

If the acorns were from trees growing naturally in your area, just
plant them. If they are non-native oaks, you might have to do some
special soil preparation.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html

Are they old enough / too old?

If you have a problem with rabbits or deer in your area, they are
not old enough. Wait until they are saplings with trunks about an
inch in diameter. Otherwise, you can plant them this year.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 24-05-2004, 05:05 PM
David Ross

figaro wrote:

I have read that most nursery people cut the taproot from oaks when planting
to encourage a more fibrous root system. I don't know if I agree with this
or not but I would assume the taproot is only important in areas with low
rainfall or very windy areas?

Pruning the taproot of an oak is necessary only if you are planting
a species native to dry-summer climates in a garden that will
receive water all summer long, either in a climate with summer
rains or in a garden that is regularly irrigated.

I have also read that planting in the fall is best, especially in my neck of
the woods because summer drought and heat can be stressful on a newly
planted tree. In the fall, the tree would have time to put out new roots
and settle in before cold weather and would have a head start for spring.
However, I have also read that plants in pots can be planted at any time; I
guess it just depends on your climate. Since you have more than one, maybe
you could experiment. Good luck.

This is true except in areas with the most severe winter freezing.
The prime time to plant any tree or shrub is when the soil is still
warm but the air is cool. In my area, that is late October and
early November.

Old 24-05-2004, 08:02 PM
The Watcher

On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:43:34 -0700, David Ross wrote:

(snip)
If you have a problem with rabbits or deer in your area, they are
not old enough. Wait until they are saplings with trunks about an
inch in diameter. Otherwise, you can plant them this year.

I've done that with oaks, but if you wait until they are that big the taproot
will be pretty deep and will involve some extra digging. Here in the Ozarks
digging is extra hard, involving more rock moving than soil work.
I haven't had any rabbits eat any of my small oak seedlings yet, but I do put
wire baskets over them anyway, just in case. I've already lost enough small
trees to the rabbits.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Babberney

On 23 May 2004 10:38:34 -0700, (JNY) wrote:

I've been growing some Oak trees in pots for about 3 years now. They
are doing rather well, but the time has come (I believe) for me to
transplant them to a more permanent home.

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.asp

Make sure you do not plant too deeply. The first major root flares
should be visible at soil level. Better to plant to high than too
low.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

TRees have trunk flares not root flares.
see www.treedictionary.com
The flares are trucnk tissues and should not be burried. Some pot grown
plants are real bad for being planted in the pots to deep. Pot put is bad.

Better to plant to high than too
low.

Better to plant at the depth the roots are coming off the trunk.
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com