Old 08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Bill Oliver

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

In article ,
The Watcher wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:26:19 -0700, davefr wrote:

"Pump diesel into the soil"???

No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll
saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??

Ah, so you're sure that none of that diesel will go into the soil? I wouldn't
bet on that happening. Get it?
Diesel isn't one of the things I like pumping into the ground.

Your problem may be that you are drilling holes into the ground,
rather than into the stump. Try drilling into the stump. That
way you won't "pump" diesel into the ground.

billo

Old 08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
escapee wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:39:24 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
opined:

Yup....

In composting of woody material, nitrogen is needed--if not available in the
form of green clippings it can be always be added in chemical form.

Not sure about the sugar though, as in this case there is already plenty of
carbon in the stump.

Yes, but the carbon in the stump is not immediately available for it to mix with
the N and get the heat process started. It's just a temporary expeditor, or
catalyst to help the N work faster. It also feeds the microbes which will
further break down the stump and large roots.

How long would it take for a stump say, oh, 6 ft (or 1.8 meters) in diameter and
2 feet (or 0.6 meter) in height to decompose this way given a Southeast US
climate?

billo