Old 05-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Dave Balderstone

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

In article , escapee
wrote:

Actually, I had a stump ground out about 6 years ago in Dallas and it cost us
about 45 dollars for someone to come do it.

That sounds about right. I asked a tree service about grinding (I'm in
western Canada) and for the three stumps it worked out to about $200
CAD. This service charged by inch of diameter.

djb
Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 PM
indago

040604 2008 - escapee posted:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:20:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone
opined:

In article , BroJack
wrote:

Can't rent a grinder because I have no truck to transport it back and
forth.

Home Depot will rent you the truck when you rent the grinder.

Actually, I had a stump ground out about 6 years ago in Dallas and it cost us
about 45 dollars for someone to come do it.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

I was watching a program on the building of the Erie Canal a few years back
and one striking accomplishment I noticed was the method used for removing
tree stumps. They had two huge wheels, looked like about 4 horses high from
the drawing, with an axle between the two. The axle was placed over the
tree stump and a chain was fastened around the axle and then around the tree
stump. Chains were then placed around the wheels and then to a team of
horses and the wheels were pulled forward. The leverage was such that the
stump would easily be removed. It was said that this method was quite
effective for its time.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:05 PM
davefr

"Pump diesel into the soil"???

No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll
saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:41:30 GMT, (The Watcher)
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:31:06 -0700, davefr wrote:

$1.00 worth of diesel or $75 rental fee + 2 round trips to the rental
yard.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!

Of course, some people don't care much for the idea of pumping diesel down into
their soil either.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:02 PM
BroJack

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:52:57 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , escapee
wrote:

Actually, I had a stump ground out about 6 years ago in Dallas and it cost us
about 45 dollars for someone to come do it.

That sounds about right. I asked a tree service about grinding (I'm in
western Canada) and for the three stumps it worked out to about $200
CAD. This service charged by inch of diameter.

djb

Hell, I'd be happy at that price. Internet says $300-400 per tree
average. Estimate scheduled for today. Let you guys know.

Jack

Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 PM
TOM KAN PA

Put Carnation Powdered Milk in the holes. It will rot/disolve the stump.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Amy D

TOM KAN PA wrote:
Put Carnation Powdered Milk in the holes. It will rot/disolve the stump.

Actually, this is probably a good idea. Milk is pretty corrosive. My
husband is a truckdriver and we were in the truck with him for a few
months and my 4 year old spilled a gallon of milk on the floor, which
ran out onto the stainless steel fuel tanks and it ate the finish off
the tanks!

Milk is technically considered a hazardous material.

amy

Old 05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Dan Hartung

indago wrote:
I was watching a program on the building of the Erie Canal a few years back
and one striking accomplishment I noticed was the method used for removing
tree stumps. They had two huge wheels, looked like about 4 horses high from
the drawing, with an axle between the two. The axle was placed over the
tree stump and a chain was fastened around the axle and then around the tree
stump. Chains were then placed around the wheels and then to a team of
horses and the wheels were pulled forward. The leverage was such that the
stump would easily be removed. It was said that this method was quite
effective for its time.

Mechanical advantage is the bomb.

But who can store a wheelset four horses high?

Old 06-06-2004, 03:02 AM
The Watcher

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:26:19 -0700, davefr wrote:

"Pump diesel into the soil"???

No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll
saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??

Ah, so you're sure that none of that diesel will go into the soil? I wouldn't
bet on that happening. Get it?
Diesel isn't one of the things I like pumping into the ground.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:03 AM
The Watcher

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:07:00 -0500, Dan Hartung
wrote:

indago wrote:
I was watching a program on the building of the Erie Canal a few years back
and one striking accomplishment I noticed was the method used for removing
tree stumps. They had two huge wheels, looked like about 4 horses high from
the drawing, with an axle between the two. The axle was placed over the
tree stump and a chain was fastened around the axle and then around the tree
stump. Chains were then placed around the wheels and then to a team of
horses and the wheels were pulled forward. The leverage was such that the
stump would easily be removed. It was said that this method was quite
effective for its time.

Mechanical advantage is the bomb.

But who can store a wheelset four horses high?

There's another device I've seen for pulling stumps. It's a homemade gadget made
from a metal tire rim and a piece of I-beam and a couple of pieces of chain.
It's basically a big lever to pry the stump out of the ground with the tire rim
acting as the fulcrum.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
The Watcher wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:26:19 -0700, davefr wrote:

"Pump diesel into the soil"???

No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll
saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??

Ah, so you're sure that none of that diesel will go into the soil? I wouldn't
bet on that happening. Get it?
Diesel isn't one of the things I like pumping into the ground.

Your problem may be that you are drilling holes into the ground,
rather than into the stump. Try drilling into the stump. That
way you won't "pump" diesel into the ground.

billo

Old 08-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
escapee wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:39:24 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
opined:

Yup....

In composting of woody material, nitrogen is needed--if not available in the
form of green clippings it can be always be added in chemical form.

Not sure about the sugar though, as in this case there is already plenty of
carbon in the stump.

Yes, but the carbon in the stump is not immediately available for it to mix with
the N and get the heat process started. It's just a temporary expeditor, or
catalyst to help the N work faster. It also feeds the microbes which will
further break down the stump and large roots.

How long would it take for a stump say, oh, 6 ft (or 1.8 meters) in diameter and
2 feet (or 0.6 meter) in height to decompose this way given a Southeast US
climate?

billo