Old 09-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Abe M.

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message ...
No chemical will desstroy the stump except maybe fuming sulfuric acid
which would turn it into charcoal. The chemicals put in stumps are
just nutrients to speed growth of decay organisms--primarily any
nitrate.

You are technically right, but in combination with rain and the
elements, the stump will decompose. I used a 1" spade bit, drilled a
lot of holes and poured composting chemical into the holes. It
literally took years for the stump to wear away. A new tree sits in
its place.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
The Watcher

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:25:56 -0000, (Bill Oliver) wrote:

In article ,
The Watcher wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:01:37 -0000,
(Bill Oliver) wrote:

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few
of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you
would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into
the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If
they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

There is a difference between "pumping diesel into the ground" and saying
that there *might* be some diesel that is incompletely burned that escapes
into the ground.

Yes, since it's a safe bet that if you pump some diesel into a stump, some WILL
get into the ground around that stump.

So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter
stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you
actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?

Unknown, but I'd be willing to bet that SOME would. Since one of the reasons I
moved into the country was to live out here, I'd prefer not to pump any diesel
into the ground if I have a choice in the matter. If that means a little more
work with a pick and pry bar, I'll do the extra work.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:09 PM
The Watcher

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:11:19 -0700, davefr wrote:

I bet there would be less fuel that manages to saturate/permeate
completly thru the stump and finds it's way into the soil and remains
unburnt than the fuel you spill filling up your lawnmower tank!!

I'd take that bet if you'd want to come watch me fill my lawnmower tank. I fill
my tank very carefully, and usually don't spill ANY gas on the deck, much less
on the ground, so I'd say it's a safe bet that I'd put less fuel into the ground
than somebody who deliberately pumped some into a buried tree stump.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
The Watcher wrote:

So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter
stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you
actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?

Unknown, but I'd be willing to bet that SOME would. Since one of the reasons I
moved into the country was to live out here, I'd prefer not to pump any diesel
into the ground if I have a choice in the matter. If that means a little more
work with a pick and pry bar, I'll do the extra work.

On what grounds would you bet that some would? My experience has been that
diesel, when exposed to high heat and flame, burns pretty well.

billo