Old 09-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Judy Cosler

Default hydrangeas???

My oakleaf hydrangea, which had numerous huge blooms last year, has
only a couple of puny blossoms this year. what fertilizer should i
use? zone 7

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Old 09-06-2004, 05:10 AM
madgardener

cow manure put into the middle of the bush. I go cow pie picking every year
in the pasture next door and pick the ones that are dried up and easily
lifted with a garden fork, so in your case, composted cow manure, something
like Black Kow they sell at Lowes or Depot. Fresh might burn it. If you
have access to real finished compost, top dress it with that. My oak leaf
blooms every year and I think it's because it's fed regularly, but where
they're a wild shrub in Georgia, they happily live in woods, so leaf litter
and composted leaves and humus is another must for them.
madgardener East Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 who has planted two young
Oakleaf hydrangea's butt to butt for a fuller shrub.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 09:45:32 -0400, Judy Cosler
wrote:

My oakleaf hydrangea, which had numerous huge blooms last year, has
only a couple of puny blossoms this year. what fertilizer should i
use? zone 7

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((

Hi Judy, My hydrangea bloomed for the first time this year! I'm in
zone 7. I fertilized mine with Miracle Grow, fish emulsion, and
compost. It took it 5 years before it finally bloomed and the
clusters are over 8" across! Last year it put out a lot of leaves (no
blooms). A praying mantis was frequently seen standing tall on the
topmost leaf. I buried the hydrangea in leaves to keep it from dying
back as in previous years--maybe that's what did the trick.

[IMG] code is On

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM