Old 09-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Lilly

Default Japanese Maple Advice?

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone might have some wisdom for me regarding a
poor lone Japanese Maple in a pot? I inherited it when I moved into
this house as the previous tenants have left it behind. Poor thing has
one rickety "stem," about 8 leaves, and just looks awful. What can I
do for it? I was thinking of planting it in the ground, although I've
never planted one before. Any ideas or special recommendations for me
before I launch into a google research expedition?
Thanks!

~Lilly

"I am not afraid. As a matter of fact, this is one of the
more pleasant evenings I have spent in the catacombs."
-Jeanne St. Remy de Valois-
Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Pen

Choose a site with sun, add some compost to your soil and plant. Try
not to move it once established.

Here's some info:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modop/00000018.html
http://www.japanesemaples.com/information/care.shtml
Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 AM

it depends on your zone. here in zone 5 my palmatum dissectum maple is thriving in a
pot altho the roots are down thru the bottom and into the soil I am sure. it is on
the north side of a little sitting area where it is protected from strong winds and
strong sun. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/sit/sit.htm shows a picture (Late
May 2004 - the Virginia creeper is taking over) is the label on the pic. .. just to
the right of my little dog. That maple really has a hissy fit if not watered
properly. the ends get crispy. Ingrid

Lilly wrote:

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone might have some wisdom for me regarding a
poor lone Japanese Maple in a pot? I inherited it when I moved into
this house as the previous tenants have left it behind. Poor thing has
one rickety "stem," about 8 leaves, and just looks awful. What can I
do for it? I was thinking of planting it in the ground, although I've
never planted one before. Any ideas or special recommendations for me
before I launch into a google research expedition?
Thanks!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Layne

I'm not an expert, but I'd think the plant is so stressed that maybe
you should wait a while and try to nurse it back to health in the pot
first before planting or repotting as doing such puts stress on the
already stressed plant.

Layne

Old 12-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Lilly

On 9 Jun 2004 20:44:57 -0700, (Pen) wrote:

Choose a site with sun, add some compost to your soil and plant. Try
not to move it once established.

Here's some info:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modop/00000018.html
http://www.japanesemaples.com/information/care.shtml

Thanks, appreciated!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Lilly

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:02:11 GMT, wrote:

it depends on your zone. here in zone 5 my palmatum dissectum maple is thriving in a
pot altho the roots are down thru the bottom and into the soil I am sure. it is on
the north side of a little sitting area where it is protected from strong winds and
strong sun.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/sit/sit.htm shows a picture (Late
May 2004 - the Virginia creeper is taking over) is the label on the pic. .. just to
the right of my little dog. That maple really has a hissy fit if not watered
properly. the ends get crispy. Ingrid

Hi Ingrid!
Sorry, should have said zone 8, pacific northwest. This one just looks
bad, maybe it's the pot, the pot size, or the soil, I dunno. I've
never had one before, so I have no experience or "feel" for this tree
yet, happy to have it though. Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Lilly

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:39:41 -0700, Layne wrote:

I'm not an expert, but I'd think the plant is so stressed that maybe
you should wait a while and try to nurse it back to health in the pot
first before planting or repotting as doing such puts stress on the
already stressed plant.

Good point. Maybe I'll do whatever I need to do once it goes dormant,
whenever that is, lol. Ack.

Old 13-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Layne

Hi Lilly,

The following links might help:

These are very good forums for maples only.
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...daysprune=&f=9

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/jgard/

Some info on Japanese maple ca

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg217.html

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...catid=cat 382

http://www.treehelp.com/trees/maple/maple-iandd.asp

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...nosemaple.html

http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_C.../articles.html

Good luck,

Layne

Old 15-06-2004, 04:02 PM

actually, I did get a second lime green Japanese maple and it started going black at
the tips, looked like fireblight. I was terrified it would infect the one I had
already so i took it back and got my money back. Ingrid

Lilly wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 16-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Jim Lewis

"Lilly" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:39:41 -0700, Layne wrote:

I'm not an expert, but I'd think the plant is so stressed that

maybe
you should wait a while and try to nurse it back to health in

the pot
first before planting or repotting as doing such puts stress

on the
already stressed plant.

Good point. Maybe I'll do whatever I need to do once it goes

dormant,
whenever that is, lol. Ack.
~Lilly

OTOH, you live in the part of the country where Acer palmatum
does best.

I'd guess that the soil in the pot is compacted and water doesn't
get to the roots, but flows down the side of the pot.

I think I would dig a large (diameter - 3X the diameter of the
pot) shallow (1/2 the depth of the pot) hole, fill it with water
and let it soak in, then lift the plant from the pot (you may
have to break the pot!) and break the soil ball without doing too
much damage to the roots. Maybe you could soak the rootball in
water for an hour. Then plant in the hole, filling with GOOD
soil -- rotted cow manure compost, maybe. Water well, then keep
it well watered but not soggy.

If it lives, you're ahead of the game. If it dies, well YOU
didn't pay anything for it and I'd bet it would die soon in the
pot anyway.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!