Old 19-06-2004, 09:04 PM
John McGaw

Default When Weed Killer Doesn't

I had always thought that one weed killer was the same as another but had
always used Roundup since it was so commonly available. Well, a few weeks
back I went to my local Ace Hardware for some bolts and remembered that my
Roundup was about gone so I grabbed some spray from a prominent display.
Something called "Ortho Season Long Grass & Weed Killer". A big mistake
that, since this stuff not only doesn't kill weeds it doesn't even seem to
seriously inconvenience them. I've sprayed a wide variety of plants from
oxalis to poison ivy to brush honesuckle and dozens of unidentified others.
Most of them twice at a one-week interval. Nothing. Well, not exactly
nothing since one or two leaves on the brush honeysuckle turned black and
maybe an oxalis or two croaked (but there are so many of them it is hard to
tell).

Has anybody else experience this sort of chemical failure? Is there anything
besides Roundup which works?
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 19-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Marley1372

This product actually has glyphosate(roundup) in it, but at a much lower rate
than in roundup. You may want to look at the dillution rates and see if you
are using too much water in the mix. There are a few other factors to consider
with glyphosate: If you are using dirty water(from a pond) or if your sprayer
needs to be cleaned, this could make the treatments ineffective, since the
chemical bonds readily with soil particles. Another factor is the weather. If
you have been having cool, cloudy days in your area, this can slow down the
process since the plants arent growing as activley. The weeds you mentioned
are all perennials, and sometimes they need 2 applications to really do the
trick, especially for things like poison ivy. Glyphosate takes time to work,
sometimes it can take a week or more(longer for perennials) before you see dead
plants. I would wait and see, those three plants you mention are tough to deal
with in the first place. You might try actual roundup instead because the
concentration is alot higher. There are a ton of other products containing
glyphosate that are cheaper and work just as well, just read the label. I hope
you have better luck in the future.

Toad
Old 20-06-2004, 12:02 AM
John McGaw

"Marley1372" wrote in message
[...]

I was out a while ago on another errand and stopped by Home Depot and bought
some Roundup so my problem will probably be self-limiting. Live and learn, I
guess.

BTW, I'm one of those lazy sods who won't even bother to mix his own
chemicals (and who had an accident with a contaminated sprayer once) so I
just buy the gallon jugs with sprayer attached. I guess, given the cost
difference and the scale of the weed problems around here I really should
buy a couple of new pump sprayers and start mixing again (after I mark them
clearly!).
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 20-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:54:16 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

[...]

I keep returning to RoundUp and prefer to buy the concentrate. Mixing
it strong works best for me. It is not practical using it in the
lawn, unless you can find a way to paint it on the leaves or shield
the spray from the surrounding grass. For broadleaf in the lawn I
alternate between Weed-B-Gone and Spectricide. However, the period
for effectively treating weeds with these products is almost over as
directed on the label, as we are having high temps in the 90's.
Old 20-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Bob S.

"John McGaw" wrote in message . ..
[...]

I buy the agricultural strength Roundup in the 2.5 gal containers and
mix according to directions. A few years back Roundup had a good
product that worked great, except you had to add a soapy product
(surfactant) to it to get it to stick to the leaves. I noticed if you
mixed the two and let it set for a few days before using it, it didn't
work near as well as a fresh batch. Well, Roundup, in it's great
wisdom, decided to market the product already mixed. Just as I
already knew, premixing just didn't work near as well. So after they
received tons of complaints, they remarketed it again in a stronger
solution to make up for the previous bad decision. Of course, now it
also cost about double the price to get the same action as before they
screwed with it.
Aahhh, these new and improved products!!

Bob S.

Old 20-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Marley1372

Hey bob, Ive been using a new product int he nursery that works just as well as
roundup and costs about 80 bucks for a 2.5 gallon jug instead of about 150 for
roundup pro. Its called pronto, and it has the same dillution rates and
everything as roundup, its pretty much roundup in a different bottle. I have
used a whole jug of it and it works great, you might try it and save some money
You can get it at tractor & supply company.

Toad
Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 AM
gary davis

On 6/19/04 12:54 PM, in article ,
"John McGaw" wrote:

[...]

Yes, elbow grease.
Dig up the plants certainly before they go to seed. It can be very
effective. Good ol' elbow grease. Non polluting...that's good. And then you
find muscles you didn't know you had! Another good thing!
It is difficult at this time to know the long term effects of these
chemicals on the environment...ground water (drinking) etc. but your
grandchildren will know.
You didn't say on what you wanted to get rid of but if it is in your
lawn, just cut it more often. They are green, so no problem. A green lawn
and no chemicals that may affect...your grandchildren, that probably is a
good thing.
I may not be right but your grandchildren will know.
Use elbow grease...it may have more benefits than you know. And, you
know, weeds are not a bad thing...the bees love 'em.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

Old 23-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Romy Beeck

" The best way I found out to get rid of weeds is buy roundup that you
have to mix with water and put in your own sprayer. But I mix it stronger
than it calls for and you will get rid of your weekds very quickly.

Old 23-06-2004, 03:05 PM
John Bachman

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:49:39 -0500, "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

" The best way I found out to get rid of weeds is buy roundup that you
have to mix with water and put in your own sprayer. But I mix it stronger
than it calls for and you will get rid of your weekds very quickly.

But not all weeds can be killed with roundup. I use it regularly but
one weed (a pesky, climbing vine thing) seems to be impervious to it.

John

Old 23-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Bob S.

wrote:

" The best way I found out to get rid of weeds is buy roundup that you
have to mix with water and put in your own sprayer. But I mix it stronger
than it calls for and you will get rid of your weekds very quickly.

But not all weeds can be killed with roundup. I use it regularly but
one weed (a pesky, climbing vine thing) seems to be impervious to it.

John

Me too. It's a five leafed vine called "Virginia Creeper". Roundup
won't phase it, nor will Brush-B-Gon (2,4,d). I am also plagued with
nut grass (nutshedge) that neither one will phase. I noticed Wal Mart
started carrying a product called "Image" that is supposed to kill it,
but it costs $20/pt. Has anyone tried it yet?

Bob S.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Tyler Hopper

"gary davis" wrote in message
On 6/23/04 1:48 PM, in article

Me too. It's a five leafed vine called "Virginia Creeper". Roundup
won't phase it, nor will Brush-B-Gon (2,4,d). I am also plagued with
nut grass (nutshedge) that neither one will phase. I noticed Wal Mart
started carrying a product called "Image" that is supposed to kill it,
but it costs $20/pt. Has anyone tried it yet?

Image does work on nut sedge. It takes a long time to kill it (4 - 6 weeks
IIRC).

Tyler