Old 29-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Joseph A. Zupko

Default Does lime repel insects

At the community garden some gardeners use lime on the veggie leaves. Does
this deter insects?
Will this affect the taste? Also will it do any harm to the plant?
Thank you

Old 29-06-2004, 03:02 PM
redclay

Joseph A. Zupko wrote in message
gy.com...
At the community garden some gardeners use lime on the veggie leaves. Does
this deter insects?
Will this affect the taste? Also will it do any harm to the plant?
Thank you

Yes it will harm the plant especially burnt lime, CaO.

Old 29-06-2004, 10:11 PM
George Orwell

Joseph A. Zupko wrote in message
At the community garden some gardeners use lime on the veggie leaves. Does
this deter insects?
Will this affect the taste? Also will it do any harm to the plant?
Thank you

I have heard of hydrated lime (or more commonly baking soda) being used
as a control for fungus. I can't say that I have ever heard of it as a
control for insects. I would not recommend using lime for either purpose
as it can burn the leaves. The best control for many types of insects is
to give the plants a good spaying with the water hose daily. You can
also try spraying with a mixture of capsicum pepper extract and garlic
(see previous posting) which are known to repel insects.

Old 29-06-2004, 11:07 PM
how

"George Orwell" wrote in message
I have heard of hydrated lime (or more commonly baking soda) being used
as a control for fungus. I can't say that I have ever heard of it as a
control for insects. I would not recommend using lime for either purpose
as it can burn the leaves.
snips

Hi,
As a chemist you're a better writer ;0) and I hope you're not into baking.
baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide Ca (OH)
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 29-06-2004, 11:09 PM
George Orwell

I have heard of hydrated lime (or more commonly baking soda) being used
as a control for fungus. I can't say that I have ever heard of it as a
control for insects. I would not recommend using lime for either purpose
as it can burn the leaves.
snips

Hi,
As a chemist you're a better writer ;0) and I hope you're not into baking.
baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide Ca (OH)

You are correct. I should have been more clear. What I meant was that
hydrated lime dissolved in water has been used as a control for fungus.
Baking soda is more often used for this same purpose because it is less
alkaline and hence not as phytotoxic. BTW, I gave up baking years ago

Old 30-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Lee

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message igy.com...
At the community garden some gardeners use lime on the veggie leaves. Does
this deter insects?
Will this affect the taste? Also will it do any harm to the plant?
Thank you

I wouldn't put lime on a plant, however i find that if there is an
invasion of ants that if i draw a fine line of lime around the area i
want to protect, the ants will not cross it.
lee h
Old 30-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Cereus-validus

Oh yeah?

Scab ants will cross the line with impunity. The *******s.

om...

Old 30-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Cereus-validus

No but its great in a gin and tonic!!!!

Most gardeners are sour on lemons too!

Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Lee

Oh well, some probably will, but if i ketch them crossing with some of
that danged impunity, i'll treat them just like any other scab and
scrape them off the face of the earth!g