Old 29-07-2005, 07:47 PM
drumbago

Default Help! Squirrel Problem

I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've pillaged
through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive tree, leaving a
trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This is a daily remninder
that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a way to get rid of them?

I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe yet, I
want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen. HELP!!

Old 29-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Doug Kanter

"drumbago" wrote in message
I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've pillaged
through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive tree, leaving a
trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This is a daily remninder
that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a way to get rid of them?

I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe yet, I
want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen. HELP!!

Trap them in a Havahart trap (using peanut butter on crackers as bait). Take
them far away and release them. Other squirrels will move into the area, but
maybe this will buy you enough time for the nuts to mature.

I'd suggest wrapping the tree in pest netting, but that might be quite a
chore for nothing. The stuff does a nice job keeping birds away from fruit,
but squirrels are more determined, and might chew a hole in the netting.

Old 29-07-2005, 08:13 PM

drumbago wrote:
I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've pillaged
through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive tree, leaving a
trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This is a daily remninder
that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a way to get rid of them?

I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe yet, I
want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen. HELP!!

1) Offer them an alternate and better food source -- a feeder full of
peanuts/corn.

2) Try to trap them.

3) Chainsaw your trees.

4) Buy a 12-gauge shotgun.

Patrick

Old 29-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Perry Templeton

Feed them red dye hummingbird nectar.
That'll do it.
Perry
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 29-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Doug Kanter

Bullshit. Then you'll have flying squirrels. Where do you get these
ridiculous ideas?

:-)

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
. ..
Feed them red dye hummingbird nectar.
That'll do it.
Perry
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 29-07-2005, 11:39 PM
CHEX

If you're not squeamish fill a bucket with water, throw a handful of
sunflower seeds in (they float), lean a board up against the bucket. They
will walk the plank, try to eat the sunflower seeds and that's the last
thing they will do

Old 30-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Bert Byfield

I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've
pillaged through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive
tree, leaving a trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This
is a daily remninder that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a
way to get rid of them?

I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe
yet, I want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen.
HELP!!

1) Offer them an alternate and better food source -- a feeder full of
peanuts/corn.
2) Try to trap them.
3) Chainsaw your trees.
4) Buy a 12-gauge shotgun.
Patrick

Get a cat(s) and give them a way to stalk invisibly into the squirrel
zone.

Old 30-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Doug Kanter

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
7...
I have a pair of squirrels living nearby in a large tree. They've
pillaged through my Avocado trees, Macadamia Nut Tree, and my Olive
tree, leaving a trail of broken nut shells all over the place. This
is a daily remninder that I am not in control of my yard. Is there a
way to get rid of them?

I have only 10 more macadamia nuts left and they're not even ripe
yet, I want to be able to try at least just one when they ripen.
HELP!!

1) Offer them an alternate and better food source -- a feeder full of
peanuts/corn.
2) Try to trap them.
3) Chainsaw your trees.
4) Buy a 12-gauge shotgun.
Patrick

Get a cat(s) and give them a way to stalk invisibly into the squirrel
zone.

If a cat tangles with a squirrel once, it usually won't do it again.

Old 30-07-2005, 04:52 AM
G Henslee

Squirrely Doug Kanter wrote:

If a cat tangles with a squirrel once, it usually won't do it again.

Not many cats hangin' around your place eh?
Old 30-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Laura

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

[...]

LOL. Do you have wimpy cats or *really* mean squirrels?

When I was growing up, every outdoors cat we ever owned hunted squirrels
regularly - and caught them from time to time. Some they'd eat, some they'd
leave just outside the side door as "presents" for Mom. :-)

It was really funny when a squirrel would get away - it would cling to the
side of a tree, just out of reach, and lash its tail and chatter at the
cat - just like it was taunting the cat. It seemed to work, too, since the
kitty involved always looked mad enough to spit nails afterwards. Ever
since, I've always imagined that cats feel particularly satisfied whenever
they kill a squirrel.

Old 30-07-2005, 04:32 PM
glenon

Just give them a moose, then both the moose and squirrel will go looking for
Boris and Natasha! No more squirrel problem!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 30-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Doug Kanter

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Hey...maybe I'm wrong! But, I had 2-3 nasty-ass cats around my property for
a few years. One would take on large dogs, raccoons, cats twice its size,
and always emerge unscathed. But, it went a few rounds with a squirrel once,
and came out bloodied. My own cat would tangle with almost anyone (or
anything), and SHE got swiped once by a squirrel. Those lawn rats have a lot
of claws.

Old 30-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Leon Trollski

WALK THE PLANK, YA LITTLE ****ER HAHAHAHA

Old 31-07-2005, 03:45 AM
B & J

"G Henslee" wrote in message

If a cat tangles with a squirrel once, it usually won't do it again.

Our neighbors have two four pound Yorkshire Terriers that consider any
squirrel coming into their fenced back yard an invaders. The other day I was
outside and heard a ruckus in their yard, including a bit of barking. When I
walked over, the Yorkies were playing tug of war with a squirrel. Finally
the stronger of the two pulled it away from the weaker and went trotting up
to the back door, dropped the squirrel, and started barking. You wouldn't
believe the ecstacy they went into when they received some praise from their
owner. ;-0

JPS

Old 31-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Laura

[...]