Old 13-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jutta Haas

Default A few questions

First of all I need some info on clematis. A friend told me that I can
propagate clematis by taking a branch and sticking it in water, and from the
nodes little roots will come. Well, after 5 months of sitting in a vase,
nothing has happened. I think that maybe this method doesn't work. Does
someone know if it's true or if there is another method to propagate
clematis.

Next, I've had several perennials that have made no attempt at blooming.
Last year I had the most gorgeous lupins, showstoppers for sure. This year
absolutely nothing. Then there are the coreopsis which just produce nice
leaves but make no attempt to flower. Both plants get about 5-6 hrs of sun.
What gives?

Lastly, am I correct in stating that there is a catnip plant and a catmint
plant, both different plants?

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

Old 13-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
First of all I need some info on clematis. A friend told me that I can
propagate clematis by taking a branch and sticking it in water, and from

the
nodes little roots will come. Well, after 5 months of sitting in a vase,
nothing has happened. I think that maybe this method doesn't work. Does
someone know if it's true or if there is another method to propagate
clematis.

I've never tried to propogate clematis, but if I did, I'd use rooting
hormone powder (Rootone is one brand), and place them in a sterile potting
mix, either indoors or in deep shade, in a spot where they don't get
drenched with rain.

Lastly, am I correct in stating that there is a catnip plant and a catmint
plant, both different plants?

Same plant, different names.

Old 13-07-2004, 03:02 PM
SAS567

Next, I've had several perennials that have made no attempt at blooming.
Last year I had the most gorgeous lupins, showstoppers for sure. This year
absolutely nothing. Then there are the coreopsis which just produce nice
leaves but make no attempt to flower. Both plants get about 5-6 hrs of sun.
What gives?

I have the same problem with my Lupine, but all my other perennials are doing
fine.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 13-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
First of all I need some info on clematis. A friend told me that I can
propagate clematis by taking a branch and sticking it in water, and from

the
nodes little roots will come. Well, after 5 months of sitting in a vase,
nothing has happened. I think that maybe this method doesn't work. Does
someone know if it's true or if there is another method to propagate
clematis.

Clematis can be propagted by seed, cuttings and layering, but layering will
provide the quickest results. Layering involves taking a low growing stem
of the vine and pinning a section of it that includes a leaf node to the
ground (remove the leaves at the node first). Pile soil over this portion of
the stem, leaving the end of the vine free. After 6-8 weeks, roots should
have grown from the node. Cut this stem away from the mother plant and
carefully dig up the rooted portion with the remaining vine attached. This
is your new clematis plant. Treat it the same as if it was a newly purchased
vine.

Lastly, am I correct in stating that there is a catnip plant and a catmint
plant, both different plants?

Yes. Catnip is the common name of Nepeta cataria, which is specifically
attracting to felines and is the dried stuff found in pet stores.. 'Catmint'
is generally applied to the entire genus Nepeta, however it specifically
refers to the commonly grown hybrids of N. x faassenii.

Sorry, I don't have a good answer for you about your perennials.

pam - gardengal

Old 13-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Jacqueline

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Jutta Haas" wrote in message
.rogers.com...

[Message snipped for brevity]
Lastly, am I correct in stating that there is a catnip plant and a

catmint
plant, both different plants?

Same plant, different names.

My cats, in accordance with the neighborhood strays, respectfully disagree.
They are closely related, but any feline knows that catnip is a recreational
drug, whereas catmint is merely a pretty plant.

Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA

Old 13-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Jim Carlock

I don't know nothing about nothing, but someone did mention
to me that I talked to a few weeks ago, that apple juice made
some kind of flowers bloom that never bloomed before. I
don't remember the source of that information but he seemed
genuinely sincere. Oh, no... it was in the Garden department
at Walmart... and now... if I could remember the name of the
flowering plant...

Anyways... unless someone indicates in the negative... wait a
couple days to see if they do... it might be worth a try.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.911forthetruth.com/

Old 14-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Charles

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:32:32 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

I don't know nothing about nothing, but someone did mention
to me that I talked to a few weeks ago, that apple juice made
some kind of flowers bloom that never bloomed before. I
don't remember the source of that information but he seemed
genuinely sincere. Oh, no... it was in the Garden department
at Walmart... and now... if I could remember the name of the
flowering plant...

Anyways... unless someone indicates in the negative... wait a
couple days to see if they do... it might be worth a try.

Could it have been a bromeliad? Usually I read to wrap them up with
an apple, never heard of using the juice.

--

- Charles
-

[IMG] code is On

"Green Waste" and fence panels - long and a few questions Warwick United Kingdom 0 20-04-2003 01:44 AM
a few questions Nic Bonsai 1 31-03-2003 03:32 PM
[IBC] a few questions kevin bailey Bonsai 0 31-03-2003 09:32 AM