Old 18-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Dawn

Default Gilbert H. Wild and Sons mailorder ??

Howdy,

Has anyone dealt with this company recently that wants to give me a few
words on them? I see in the archives that they were recommended 10 years
ago. However, I have recently been to the web site and had some
problems, and have not had answers to my emails all week, so I thought I
would check and see if they were still worth buying from.

Dawn
dduperault (at) aol

Old 19-07-2004, 08:02 PM
John McGaw

"Dawn" wrote in message
Howdy,

Has anyone dealt with this company recently that wants to give me a few
words on them? I see in the archives that they were recommended 10 years
ago. However, I have recently been to the web site and had some
problems, and have not had answers to my emails all week, so I thought I
would check and see if they were still worth buying from.

Dawn
dduperault (at) aol

The year before last I ordered a big batch of mixed "noname" hostas from
them. The plants showed up relatively quickly, in good condition, and all of
them grew. Can't say anything more but when the time comes to naturalize
hostas in a big shady area I'll probably go back to the same company.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 PM

A better website to look through is
www.backyard-lifestyle.com

I hope this helps,
Norman

Old 10-08-2004, 09:58 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

A better website to look through is
www.backyard-lifestyle.com

Except that at least twice, today alone, you have recommended a bogus
product at your website, so even a company called
www.thieving-scoundrels.com would be higher on anyone's list of reliable
sods.

-paggers

wrote:

Howdy,

Has anyone dealt with this company recently that wants to give me a few
words on them? I see in the archives that they were recommended 10 years
ago. However, I have recently been to the web site and had some
problems, and have not had answers to my emails all week, so I thought I
would check and see if they were still worth buying from.

Dawn
dduperault (at) aol

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 10-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Frank

wrote in message
A better website to look through is
www.backyard-lifestyle.com

I hope this helps,
Norman

It just took me one look at that website, wow, why so expensive???

Frank

Old 10-08-2004, 11:28 PM
paghat

In article VTaSc.281090$Oq2.70646@attbi_s52, "Frank" Frank
wrote:

wrote in message
A better website to look through is
www.backyard-lifestyle.com

I hope this helps,
Norman

It just took me one look at that website, wow, why so expensive???

Frank

Cuz a company that is only looking for suckers is not hoping to give
anyone they manage to haul in anything resembling an even break!

The Ultraviolet sterilizer gadget they are selling for $194.24 retails
elsewhere for as little as $160, but it is certainly possible to pay even
more on the web. The Aqua Ultraviolet company at its own website
intentionally leaves off any clue as to the price of their products
because they are wholesalers only, & want to leave retailers with the
option of pretending the "recommended price" is anywhere from $200 to $400
(& Aqua Ultraviolet will never contradict them). So
backyard-lifestyle.com is not the highest rip-off price you can pay, but
it is a whopping $40 higher than you'd pay at, say, aquaticwarehouse.com,
who furthermore haven't offensively spammed usenet.

And it turns out, of course, the entire backyard-lifestyle catalog is like
that, apart from the fact that they also mix in bogus products that have
no value.

The Bradley Smoker BBQ product this company calls one of its bestsellers,
& for which they ask a measily $399.95 -- oh, what the heck, let's call it
a nickle shy of $400 -- but even backyard-lifestyle asks less for it when
they put "buy it now" ads on e-bay, so clearly they know it is over priced
& discount it lest they get no eBay action. Again, while you certainly
COULD pay even more elsewhere, fact is, you can get it for a much better
price at barbecue-store.com, so no reason to pay top dollar from the one
who has shown itself to be crooked enough to post stealth spam generally
revealing the company to be capable of dubious shinanigans. I sure
wouldn't trust 'em with MY credit card numbers even if the prices were
properly lowered!

There seems to be a tendency for backyard-lifestyle to select pricier
items of lesser merit & charge slightly more than the best price available
for already pricy items that may or may not be high-end brands but have
high-end prices. Take the Bradley Smoker example. It's a good smoker with
reasonably positive reviews, but it requires that you go back to the
company to buy their (expensive) smoke buiscuits, & this hamstrings the
user & limits the scope of smoking possibilities -- ultimatley it makes it
the poorest choice of smoker both for being overpriced & for being
restricted in usability. A smoker that did not require a single kind of
wood buiscuit, but permitted the user to obtain their own choices of oak
or apple or mesquite or hickory or alder from any source they preferred,
including from their own woods, would be a hundred times better. And turns
out you CAN get that better product for much cheaper -- for as little as
$100 from, say, gogrill.com, or make one out of a barrel for no more than
time spent, & it will do exactly as good a job while being far more
versatile.

But for me the main thing is I wouldn't buy squat from spammers who
aggressively post stealth spams promoting worthless stuff like that
ultrasonic piece of shit at the top of their first page. They obviously
got a deal on THAT garbage, as it's foremost in their mind to post spams
about.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[IMG] code is On

Milky Spore by Mailorder Dave Lawns 11 02-07-2004 12:06 AM
greetings and mailorder question Emery Davis United Kingdom 0 21-02-2004 09:21 PM
MailOrder Plants spider Gardening 3 13-07-2003 01:32 AM
Ancistrus mailorder source Chris Spierings Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
Ancistrus mailorder source Chris Spierings Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 04-04-2003 02:56 AM