Old 18-07-2004, 03:02 PM
fred

Default jasmine tree: how hardy

my wife saw a jasmine tree at a local supermarket. I have been trying to
tell her that it wasn't a good idea, since we live in St Louis
(zone = 6b I believe).
However, she keeps seeing the tree (which presumably should tell her that
it is not a good idea, since it doesn't seem to sell) and bringing up
the subject.

I did some research and couldn't find much data. How large does it
grow ? How hardy exactly-that is, which temperature would kill it?
Would it work to put it in a pot so we can put it in the house
during winter ? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Old 18-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Pam - gardengal

"fred" wrote in message
om...
my wife saw a jasmine tree at a local supermarket. I have been trying to
tell her that it wasn't a good idea, since we live in St Louis
(zone = 6b I believe).
However, she keeps seeing the tree (which presumably should tell her that
it is not a good idea, since it doesn't seem to sell) and bringing up
the subject.

I did some research and couldn't find much data. How large does it
grow ? How hardy exactly-that is, which temperature would kill it?
Would it work to put it in a pot so we can put it in the house
during winter ? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

There are a number of plants that pass under the common name of jasmine, but
most tend to be vining rather than tree form, although they typically are
supported in their pots by some sort of canes and could look somewhat
tree-like. With the exception of winter jasmine, Jasminum nudicale, none
will be hardy in zone 6 and very few are hardy below zone 8.

You can certainly grow it outdoors in a container for the summer and move it
into the house for winter protection. Most types of jasmine like rich soil,
regular watering (evenly moist soil - not allowed to dry out) and in a
container, would benefit from a monthly application of dilute liquid
fertilizer during the growing season. They will need bright light, but
direct sunlight may be too intense. In winter, place where they will receive
bright, indirect light and water very sparingly but don't allow to dry
completely.

More specific information would depend on exactly what type of jasmine this
is - any way for you to find out?

pam - gardengal

Old 18-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Iris Cohen

my wife saw a jasmine tree at a local supermarket. I have been trying to
tell her that it wasn't a good idea, since we live in St Louis
(zone = 6b I believe).

You will have to find out which jasmine species it is, if it is a true jasmine
at all. Jasmines are generally vines. Some jasmines are tropicals. Jasminum
nudiflorum is hardy where you are, but it is a vine, not a tree.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-07-2004, 03:16 AM
Marley1372

The tree she is seeing is actually Trachelospermum jasminoides, which is
usually called star jasmine, but isnt a jasmine at all. They are semi tropical
and wont survive outdoors in st louis, but they make a great fragrant house
plant.

toad