Old 19-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Maine Blueberries

Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?
--
Jane Lumley
Old 19-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Jane Lumley" wrote in message
Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?
--
Jane Lumley

The wild Maine blueberry is Vaccinium angustifolium. It is available from
select growers here in the US, but requires a more specifc cultural
condition than do the more commonly grown Vaccinium corymbosum cultivars and
hybrids. Have no idea how widespread its availability may be in the UK, but
you could look for a midsized highbush 'Northblue' which produces small
berries with similar appearance and taste to "wild" blueberries.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ann

Jane Lumley expounded:

Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

If you live in a pine barren G

Wehave a whole yard of Maine wild blueberries at our house in Maine.
The conditions are thin, acid soil with jack pines creating natural
mulch. The terrain is very flat. Funny thing is, they grow both in
full sun and in full shade, and the berries onthe full shade plants
are plumper, sweeter, the ones on the full sun plants are smaller and
more concentrated with flavor.

Pam has given you good info, good luck in your search!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 20-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Cindy

"Ann" wrote in message
Jane Lumley expounded:

Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

If you live in a pine barren G

Did you read the book "It" by Stephen King?

I would, especially if you plan to plant Blueberries in the Pine Barren!

Cindy

Old 21-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ann

"Cindy" expounded:

Did you read the book "It" by Stephen King?

I would, especially if you plan to plant Blueberries in the Pine Barren!

I don't need to plant them, they're there by nature. And Stephen King
is a Mainer, after all.......
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 21-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Christopher Green

Jane Lumley wrote in message ...
Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

Tons of information on Maine blueberries from the University of Maine
Extension at http://www.wildblueberries.maine.edu/

Blueberries in general, and the typical wild Maine blueberry,
Vaccinium angustifolium, do well in pretty much the same conditions as
azaleas and rhododendrons (to which they are related). If you have (or
can make) acid soil (pH 6 or better yet 5.5 or lower) in a sunny,
sheltered spot, they are at least a good risk.

V. angustifolium is also grown in Sweden, where there are hybridizers
working with it, but I don't know of any UK sources.

--
Chris Green
Old 22-07-2004, 04:02 AM
simy1

Jane Lumley wrote in message ...
Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

even if you have acid soil (possible the UK is just as wet as out
atlantic coast), my guess is that it is too warm in England for Maine
blueberries. You are what we call zone 8, right? The coldest night of
the year goes to -6C (21F), no colder.
Old 22-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Jane Lumley

In article , simy1
writes
Jane Lumley wrote in message news:u7uEEGE1y1+AFwdW
Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

even if you have acid soil (possible the UK is just as wet as out
atlantic coast), my guess is that it is too warm in England for Maine
blueberries. You are what we call zone 8, right? The coldest night of
the year goes to -6C (21F), no colder.

Yes, that's right. And this may explain why there are no UK Maine
blueberry suppliers.

--
Jane Lumley

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Cindy

Jane Lumley expounded:

Old 28-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , simy1
writes
Jane Lumley wrote in message news:u7uEEGE1y1+AFwdW
Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine
blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

even if you have acid soil (possible the UK is just as wet as out
atlantic coast), my guess is that it is too warm in England for Maine
blueberries. You are what we call zone 8, right? The coldest night of
the year goes to -6C (21F), no colder.

Yes, that's right. And this may explain why there are no UK Maine
blueberry suppliers.

--
Jane Lumley

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Larch in Maine Mike Waterhouse Bonsai 2 31-08-2004 02:59 PM
anacharis substitute? (it's illegal in Maine) Brian Ponds 17 01-08-2003 09:42 AM
Maine Wild Blueberries Ann Gardening 10 18-07-2003 02:52 AM
Grass Seed For Maine Bill LaFleur Lawns 0 23-04-2003 05:20 PM
Grass Seed For Maine Bill LaFleur Edible Gardening 4 23-04-2003 05:20 PM