Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 AM
Vox Humana

Default Stella Dora Plants

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
I know what a daylily is. What I am referring to is the smaller
version of the same type of plant. It is supposed to bloom all
summer. It looks very much like the larger daylily. I know the
larger one only blooms for a couple of weeks and dies off. Actually
any version of this plant is very easy to transplant. Very hardy.

If you are talking about this plant, it IS a daylily:
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2653/

It is a re-blooming variety. The hype says that it blooms all summer. I
suppose it does is some yard somewhere. It is used by the tens of thousands
in landscapes here in SW Ohio. It blooms heavily for about three week with
a few flower before and following the primary bloom. That extend the three
weeks to four or five. It rests for about three weeks and then you will see
sporadic flowers for the rest of the summer. If you deadhead, the
re-blooming will be a little heavier. Daylilies tend to decline after they
bloom and this one in no exception. You simply can't believe everything
printed on nursery labels. I saw a tag on Oenothera fruticosa today that
said it boomed all summer - and it doesn't.

You can see a small sample of the ones that I have in the link below.
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=471
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=422
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=425

Old 01-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Cereus-validus

The correct name is "Stella D'Oro", you wing nut.

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
I am not speaking of day lilies. I know that they have a short bloom
period. The ones I mean are in bloom all summer and a smaller plant.
They are referred to as Stella Dora. They have yellow flowers and
almost look like a smaller version of the common daylily.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:43:39 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
om...
There are no daylilies with that name.

Yes, I know.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:53 AM
Cereus-validus

The correct name is "Stella D'Oro", you wing nut, and it is very much a
Hemerocallis hybrid.

Do your homework, then get back to us when you know what you are talking
about.

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
The stella dora is not a daylily. It looks like a smaller version of
the daylily and is supposed to bloom all summer.

Annette

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:21:49 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

There are no daylilies with that name.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
I have stella dora plants that have quit blooming, turning
brown and drooping. What should I do or what could be attacking

them?

I have been treating other plants with a slug and snail killer.

If you are referring to the daylily of that name, what you are

experiencing
is normal. They emerge in early spring and then bloom heavily for

about a
month in late spring to early summer. After the first bloom they tend

set seeds and decline. I try to remove the seeds as they develop. I

put
some fertilizer on them in the early spring and again after they bloom.
Mine have started to boom again. The subsequent bloom is significantly

more
sparse than the initial bloom. The foliage starts to decline also. By
fall, much of the foliage has turned brown. I have about thirty large
clumps of them that line a walkway. They need to be divided but the

job
seem daunting and I would have to find new locations for the divisions.
Maybe next year!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Bill Smith

Thanks for the information and websites which were very helpful. I
feel better now about my plants. Many of my replies were sarcastic,
so I happy to receive your useful infor. Thanks again.

Annette

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 02:30:19 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

. com...

Old 02-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Wil

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
I know what a daylily is. What I am referring to is the smaller
version of the same type of plant. It is supposed to bloom all
summer. It looks very much like the larger daylily. I know the
larger one only blooms for a couple of weeks and dies off. Actually
any version of this plant is very easy to transplant. Very hardy.

Annette

There are daylilies that are very short with small flowers. They are not
all tall like the ditch lily. I could not find any other perennial with the
name Stella Dora. You have a daylily, Stella De Oro.

The reason your Stella De Oro is not blooming properly is because the garden
centers sell tissue cultured plants marked as Stella De Oro. Tissue
cultured plants are not always an exact clone of its famous parent and it
does not perform well. Also there are a lot of Stella De Oro look alikes
that are not the true Stella De Oro, not even tissue cultured from the true
Stella. If I were you I would take the plant back to the garden center
where you got it and demand my money back. They are charging too much for
that plant as it is. I sell daylilies. The most frequent question I get is
asking why their Stella De Oro does not bloom like others they have seen.
The problem seems to be getting worse. Probably because there are so many of
the so called Stella De Oro in the garden centers.

Also even the true Stella De Oro does not bloom all summer. It reblooms a
little, some zones more than others. When it gets to be a huge clump there
are so many scapes and flowers it takes a long time for the first bloom to
bloom out.

Also the Stella owner should realize they need to remove those seed pods
that form. The seed pods are the round pumpkin like things that form on the
end of the scapes after the bloom is finished. Any plant that goes to seed
will stop blooming. So after the first bloom is finished, remove the scapes
and seed pods right away. Keep your Stella De Oro watered well, and it
should bloom better for you if you do not have one of the fake Stella's.

Wil

Old 02-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Wil

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
om...
You are probably correct with the spelling but I need to know what to
do for the problem.

Annette

Another thing, don't use Miracle Grow on daylilies. It is too high in
Nitrogen [the first number on the formula]. Use a fertilizer with a low
first number such as 6-10-10, or 5-12-10. If you use a high nitrogen
fertilizer on daylilies you will get all green foliage and few bloom.

Wil

Old 02-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Bill Smith

I bought the original plants two years ago, divided them in the Fall
and perhaps that is what is also part of my problem. I have trimmed
them back, fertilized them and will wait to see what happens. Thanks
so much for the information.

Annette

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:38:40 -0400, "Wil"
wrote:

. com...