Old 02-08-2004, 03:55 AM
Pen

Default Help with moving perennials

Coreopsis is easy to divide and so is snow-in-the-summer. The others
are easiest to propagate from seeds or simply take the entire clump of
plant with you. If you have several clumps of galliardia (for
example) then just take a few. Most lupins are very hard to move,
your best bet there is to start over with seeds.

You might want to take some plants as soon as possible so if some die,
you can always go back and get more. As others have mentioned, heat
and drought stress is your major worry. The plants on your list are
pretty hardy, they only need to be watered frequently until
established.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:05 PM
FayeC

I rent and when we got here the garden simply didn't exist.
I planted all of them myself so I think I am entitled to take some (not all)
of them with me).
I am just splitting the existing plants and leaving them in the garden here.
It's just not fair that I spent so much of my time beautifying the house and
not be allowed to take some to plant on my next house.
The landlady loves what I have done and I don't think she would be upset if
I took some babies with me....
When we got here the "garden" consisted of 3 hostas and 1 mums......
Now shehas all the plants I mentioned......and I am not taking anything of
the pre-existing plants as I don't think it's fair being that I didn't plant
those.....
As for moving the plants would late August be better?

FayeC

"William Brown" wrote in message
When my mother sold her house to move to a smaller one, she got the
permission of the buyer to come back and remove some of her favorite
plants at the appropriate season. I think transplanting in the heat of
August is a risky proposition.

I don't know if you are selling or renting, but if I were buying a
property with a nice garden, I would not be happy at closing time, or
later, to find that the garden had been removed. On the other hand, I
wish the people who owned our house before us had taken their @#$
raspberry thicket with them.

FayeC wrote:
Hi,

I am moving on August 15th (have access to the plants until September

1st)
and after having invested a lot of time, energy and TLC on my garden I

am
not about to leave all my perennial behind.....
I planted most of the perennials from seed and only had one flowering

season
after 3 summers from most of them. That's why I am thinking of taking

some
mature plants with me so I can enjoy their flowers next year instead of
growing them from seed all over again.
The thing is.....I never transplanted any perennial before. At least not

my
own I mean so I have no clue of what to do to ensure both the root ball

that
is staying and the one that is going live through it.
I would appreciate your help in learning the right way to transplant

these
plants and also if this is the best time for them or not. Some are in

full
bloom right now.....
The plants I am talking about a
Coreopsis (pink), Galliardia, Agastache, Cupid's Dart, Lupin, Blue Flax,
Clove, Evening Primrose and Snow in the summer. There are a couple more

but
I don't remember their names as I got the seeds from a friend and she

didn't
mark the packages.
I would like to leave some of the plants behind if possible as the

garden is
very pretty as it is and I would like to leave some of it to grow next
summer. On the other hand if splitting the root system will cause the

plant
to die then I rather take it all instead.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate any tip,
link, personal experience you can send me.

FayeC

there.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:08 PM
FayeC

I can actally move them straight to thier final home as we will have 2 weeks
to move out of here.
So I will have time to create a new bed for them at the new house and only
dig them up when everything is ready for them to be planted there.

Thanks,

FayeC

"William Wagner" wrote in message

I'd just add that if you have a place to plant your plants or at least
hill them in as soon as possible it is a good thing. Lose is related
to time spent in unfavorable environment. I like the idea of doing
transplant on a small scale which may not be possible.

Also this is a good time to wonder if some of your mistakes should
make the move.

Good Luck!

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )

Old 02-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Bungadora

I suspect from your service provider that you are in Canada, and many of the
people I know with that ISP are in western Canada. The issue in transplanting
in late summer might not be heat stress so much, but rather whether or not the
plant will have time to re-establish a root system and store up any resources
before it goes to sleep in the fall. We only have until mid-September/October
until the big freeze (only 2 months left, yeeks!), with frost likely any time
after late August, possibly earlier. Your survival rate over the winter might
not be so good because you are really stressing them moving this late in the
season. However, you have nothing to lose. Watch the weather forecast. Just
pick the coolest day you can and move them asap. Water well. Put a good mulch
down in the fall.
Dora (not D'oro)

Old 02-08-2004, 04:34 PM
William Brown

I live in Ohio and the prevailing wisdom here is that Fall and Spring is
the best time to transplant. If you live somewhere with a shorter
Summer, the end of August might be good. If you are tied to a date that
is not in the best season, I would go ahead and use that date. I am
considering replacing my privet hedge with boxwood, and the reputable
catalogue nurseries won't ship boxwood to me until Fall. I went to a
local nursery and they have boxwood that they will sell right now, with
a one-year warranty. From this, I conclude that Fall is better than
now, but that now can work.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Layne

She probably could put something over the bed (plastic sheeting) to
prolong the season a bit and give the plants some more time to
establish themselves.

Layne

Old 04-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Bungadora

True. Or she could put them in peat pots right away and just plant the pot.

IMHO a lot depends on the health of the plants at this point in the summer, how
depleted they from blooming, and how well the plants are adapted to the zone.
As well as where she lives, of course. Different areas within the same zone
have differing amounts of snow cover, and that makes a great deal of difference
in perennial survival.

I've read before about planting perennials in the fall. The article supported
the practise mostly because the author believed that doing so allowed the plant
to regenerate its root structure over the course of the winter. (Plus
everything is on sale.) Of course, everything I've read elsewhere indicates
differently, and in practise have planted in the spring.
Incurable top poster,
Dora