Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
FayeC

Default Help with moving perennials

Hi,

I am moving on August 15th (have access to the plants until September 1st)
and after having invested a lot of time, energy and TLC on my garden I am
not about to leave all my perennial behind.....
I planted most of the perennials from seed and only had one flowering season
after 3 summers from most of them. That's why I am thinking of taking some
mature plants with me so I can enjoy their flowers next year instead of
growing them from seed all over again.
The thing is.....I never transplanted any perennial before. At least not my
own I mean so I have no clue of what to do to ensure both the root ball that
is staying and the one that is going live through it.
I would appreciate your help in learning the right way to transplant these
plants and also if this is the best time for them or not. Some are in full
bloom right now.....
The plants I am talking about a
Coreopsis (pink), Galliardia, Agastache, Cupid's Dart, Lupin, Blue Flax,
Clove, Evening Primrose and Snow in the summer. There are a couple more but
I don't remember their names as I got the seeds from a friend and she didn't
mark the packages.
I would like to leave some of the plants behind if possible as the garden is
very pretty as it is and I would like to leave some of it to grow next
summer. On the other hand if splitting the root system will cause the plant
to die then I rather take it all instead.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate any tip,
link, personal experience you can send me.

FayeC

Old 01-08-2004, 02:25 PM
David J Bockman

Hi Faye,

I'll presume you're in a cooler clime than mine, nevertheless it's a pretty
poor time of the year to transplant. I understand the necessity, so if it
were me, I would go out immediately and spade around the perennials I was
going to lift, but leave them in place. Observe them over the next couple of
weeks for signs of wilting and water accordingly. I would wait until the
last possible moment to lift and replant them.

Dave

Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 PM
William Brown

When my mother sold her house to move to a smaller one, she got the
permission of the buyer to come back and remove some of her favorite
plants at the appropriate season. I think transplanting in the heat of
August is a risky proposition.

I don't know if you are selling or renting, but if I were buying a
property with a nice garden, I would not be happy at closing time, or
later, to find that the garden had been removed. On the other hand, I
wish the people who owned our house before us had taken their @#$
raspberry thicket with them.

FayeC wrote:
[...]

there.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Layne

Hi Faye,

Make sure to dig up all or most of the root ball and place in a
plastic bag and tie it up so it doesn't lose any moisture. Leaving the
plants in the plastic bags is okay for a day or two as long as the
roots don't dry out. If you can't plant right away and notice the
roots drying out spritz them. If you can't plant them for a while it
might be a good idea to poke holes in the bags and water accordingly.

My father who lives in Hawaii (where it's pratically summer long year
long) moves specimen trees for his bonsai this way. The important
thing is to keep the root ball moist and not let it dry out during the
move.

Hope this helps,

Layne

snip

Old 01-08-2004, 05:11 PM
William Wagner

I'd just add that if you have a place to plant your plants or at least
hill them in as soon as possible it is a good thing. Lose is related
to time spent in unfavorable environment. I like the idea of doing
transplant on a small scale which may not be possible.

Also this is a good time to wonder if some of your mistakes should
make the move.

Good Luck!

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )

Old 01-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Warren

William Brown wrote:
I don't know if you are selling or renting, but if I were buying a
property with a nice garden, I would not be happy at closing time, or
later, to find that the garden had been removed.

Plants in the ground are considered part of the real estate. Unless it
was part of the deal that plants would be dug-up, and taken away, the
buyer has every right to the plants that were there, in the ground, when
their accepted offer was made.

The new owners could sue for either: The value of the plants taken; The
cost of replacing the plants taken; The change in value of the property
with the plants removed.

If the house was a rental property, and you're moving out, as long as
the property is returned to the condition that it was in when you moved
in, everything is fine. Any enhancement may not be viewed by the owner
as an enhancement. (It may be harder to rent the place if the new renter
has to take care of a nice garden, for example.)

Either way, it's not just a question of how to do it, but it's also a
question of if you're allowed to do it.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html

Old 02-08-2004, 01:03 AM
gregpresley

I agree with the person who said that you probably ought to get the
permission of the new buyers/owners to remove some plants. But if getting
that permission makes you nervous, the other option would be to divide and
replant - i.e., put a spade down the middle of the clump producing
perennials, then dig around the entire plant, take one half of the clump and
replant the other half in the same spot. (So that the new owners are still
getting the same garden that existed when they bought). If you have access
to the plants until Sept 1, I'd do all of this on August 31st. or August
30th. The later you do this, the closer you are to cooler weather and the
less stress the plants will suffer during transplanting. Have your new beds
prepared with the soil ready, and the garden hose ready to water them in
immediately.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:36 AM
madgardener

"FayeC" wrote in message
[...]

The plants I am talking about are Coreopsis (pink), Galliardia, Agastache,
Cupid's Dart, Lupin, Blue Flax, Clove, Evening Primrose and Snow in the
summer. There are a couple more but I don't remember their names as I got
the seeds from a friend and she didn't mark the packages.

I would like to leave some of the plants behind if possible as the garden is
very pretty as it is and I would like to leave some of it to grow next
summer. On the other hand if splitting the root system will cause the plant
to die then I rather take it all instead.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate any tip,
link, personal experience you can send me.

FayeC

--

Well, Faye, I've said it before, and to respond in kind to you..........I
lived in Nashville, Tennessee. I had some mature perennials. (zone 6a at

I dug up HUNDREDS of perennials. I even dug up the area I was sure was the
bleeding hearts but they'd died down and I kept a 5 gallon bucket of soil
until they emerged the next spring reassuring me that's what they
were.....watering before I dug them well helped a lot.

I understand the attachments to these plants grown from seed. They've
acclimated to your enviroment and yard. Lupines in the late summer?? Wow.
I'd say try that, and let us know your success rates. You'll do fine.
madgardener
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." Chief Seattle

Old 02-08-2004, 03:55 AM
Pen

Coreopsis is easy to divide and so is snow-in-the-summer. The others
are easiest to propagate from seeds or simply take the entire clump of
plant with you. If you have several clumps of galliardia (for
example) then just take a few. Most lupins are very hard to move,
your best bet there is to start over with seeds.

You might want to take some plants as soon as possible so if some die,
you can always go back and get more. As others have mentioned, heat
and drought stress is your major worry. The plants on your list are
pretty hardy, they only need to be watered frequently until
established.