Old 15-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Dave

Default Storing leftover seeds question.`

Every time I plant a garden I always buy more seeds than I need. I heard
that if you put your leftover seeds in a jar and put the jar in the deep
freezer they will be good to use for the next Springs planting. I have
leftover green beans, cucumber, and peas.
Is this a true way of keeping seeds good? What about tomato seeds too?
Thanks for your opinions.

Old 16-08-2004, 04:40 AM
rod

dave,
to answer your question,you can save seed for about a year in just
an airtight jar.the key is no moisture.any longer than a year you
would need to freeze.i have heard of people saving seed for several
years in the freezer and the seeds be fine,tomatoes included.hope this
helps.

Old 16-08-2004, 06:59 PM
simy1

"Dave" wrote in message news:70QTc.130244$8_6.65077@attbi_s04...
Every time I plant a garden I always buy more seeds than I need. I heard
that if you put your leftover seeds in a jar and put the jar in the deep
freezer they will be good to use for the next Springs planting. I have
leftover green beans, cucumber, and peas.
Is this a true way of keeping seeds good? What about tomato seeds too?
Thanks for your opinions.

A ziploc or jar in the freezer is all you need. At my place, two
shelves on the freezers door are just for ziploc bags full of seeds. I
typically use seeds for 4-5 years out of a packet, and tomatoes last
longer. You are talking about large seeds only, and they will last
even longer than tomatoes. Basically forever.
Old 18-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Dave" in news:70QTc.130244$8_6.65077@attbi_s04:

Every time I plant a garden I always buy more seeds than I need. I
heard that if you put your leftover seeds in a jar and put the jar in
the deep freezer they will be good to use for the next Springs
planting. I have leftover green beans, cucumber, and peas.
Is this a true way of keeping seeds good? What about tomato seeds
too? Thanks for your opinions.

my impression is that beans, peas, and tomato seeds take years to
deteriorate stored indoors.

you could search for info... borrowing a dessicant pack from vitamin
bottle might be good for your freezer storage plan.