Old 23-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Anonny Moose

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
New house, new yard, new neighborhood, soon to be a massive garden. In my
last 'hood, there were quite a few dog owners to deal with and I went
directly from calm to ballistic with no in between. It worked, but twice,
the police were at my house, ready with handcuffs, until they calmed down
and realized that it's legal tell a dog owner that you'll murder their

trash
if they don't control it.

This time, I thought it might be better to begin more quietly.Ineedto
word a sign perfectly. The target audience is so-called "good dog owners",
the ones who clean up after their trash animals. They're the ones who try
and convince you that even though it's your property, it's OK for them to
stop there. And, I believe that even when the owner picks the stuff up,

the
scent is still of interest to other dogs. My initial thought (for small,
tasteful signs) was simply "No Dogs for ANY Reason. Period."

Sounds boring, though, so I'm open to suggestions. The message I really

want
to convey is that the guy at this house may or may not be stable. I hope

I'm
not, but so far, I am.

A friend suggested this: "All Dogs Will Be Collected and Eaten"

Anyway, the best suggestion wins 27 virtual cold beers. :-)

Put up a fence for god's sake.
Karen

Old 23-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Doug Kanter

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, Karen, but zoning laws in virtually all cities prevent the
construction of a fence where the lawn meets the street.

Old 23-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Pam - gardengal

Put up a fence for god's sake.
Karen

Finally, someone with a reasonable solution to an extremely petty problem.

Sorry, Karen, but zoning laws in virtually all cities prevent the
construction of a fence where the lawn meets the street.

And might that be because where the lawn meets the street is actually an
easement controlled by the city? Try moving the fence back onto your
property and don't tell me that fences in front yards in "virtually all
cities" are prohibited by zoning laws, cuz it's just not true. And even if
your city does have such a law, why not consider planting a dog-unfriendly
hedge of some sort, like barberries or rugosa roses? Certainly a lot easier
than doing battle with your neighbors to the point where the cops are called
or posting signs which beg to be ignored or more likely, willfully
disregarded.

Old 23-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Doug Kanter

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

[...]

Pam, I like barberries, but not 75 of them, which is about what it would
take to line my property's edge. Then, I have to trim them, as well as deal
with them as I mow. If that happens, the dog owners have stolen TIME from
me, something I have little enough of to begin with.

As far as a "petty issue", when you have to spend 15 minutes cleaning your
shoes, and perhaps the better part of a day shampooing your carpet, that's
not petty. That's a crime.

Old 23-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Anonny Moose

[...]

Next suggestion... get help with your anger issue. You can get meds to help
with this obsession over a minor (yes, petty) problem. If you are daily,
weekly, or even monthly spending a whole 15 minutes cleaning your shoes and
a few hours cleaning the carpet then the time spent trimming a hedge would
be minimal in comparison.
Karen

Old 23-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

You could get help, ma'am. How can you not see that it's pure, delicious fun
to mess with dog owners? For that matter, *any* segment of the population
that's brainwashed is fun to mess with.

Old 23-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Doug Kanter

A question just occurred to me: Has a medical professional ever suggested
that you might be afflicted with coprophilia, even just a bit?

Old 26-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Pam - gardengal" in

why not consider planting a dog-unfriendly
hedge of some sort, like barberries or rugosa roses?

until the neighbor sues, cuz their kid crashed thier bike into the
rose/briar patch.

Certainly a lot
easier than doing battle with your neighbors to the point where the
cops are called or posting signs which beg to be ignored or more
likely, willfully disregarded.

sort of true. but the sign might encourage dog walker to let the poop go
on another neighbor's front yard :-)