Old 29-08-2004, 10:08 PM
how

Default Bees --help

Hi,
situation: Bees have moved into a 35 gal. overturned black plastic nursery
pot. Observed entering and leaving the drainage holes, seems to be a hundred
or more. Appear to be honey bees.
Question: How can this be moved about five feet without hurting the bees?
Any suggestions on harvesting honey at some point? Zone 10.
TIA -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 29-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Gary and Karen Manning

Honey bees do not fly at night. Gently move the pot about six inches each
night until you get it to where you want it. If you move it too far at
night the bees will not find the hive when they come back from there first
flight in the morning.
Harvesting the honey will be more difficult. Beekeepers make the bees put
the honey on factory made combs so it can be removed easily. In your
situation the combs must be cut out with a knife which makes the bees very
angry''. I would contact the local beekeepers club and ask for assistance
removing honey.

Gary

Ex beekeeper

Old 29-08-2004, 10:49 PM
zxcvbob

how wrote:
Hi,
situation: Bees have moved into a 35 gal. overturned black plastic nursery
pot. Observed entering and leaving the drainage holes, seems to be a hundred
or more. Appear to be honey bees.
Question: How can this be moved about five feet without hurting the bees?
Any suggestions on harvesting honey at some point? Zone 10.
TIA -_- how
no NEWS is good

Contact a local beekeeper. You won't be able to harvest honey from a 35
gallon pot, but I think a beekeeper might can coax the bees into a
commercial bee hive, and the bees will transfer the honey and brood to
their new home.

I wouldn't attempt it this time of year in most climates because the
bees will use up their store of honey to make new comb; then they'll be
in trouble for winter. In zone 10, you're probably OK.

All this is assuming they are honeybees.

Bob
Old 30-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Lar

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:08:20 -0400, "how"
wrote:

Hi,
situation: Bees have moved into a 35 gal. overturned black plastic nursery
pot. Observed entering and leaving the drainage holes, seems to be a hundred
or more. Appear to be honey bees.
Question: How can this be moved about five feet without hurting the bees?
Any suggestions on harvesting honey at some point? Zone 10.
TIA -_- how
no NEWS is good

Make sure they are honeybees...just about all calls I get this time of
year for honeybees turns out to be yellow jackets. If they are honey
bees, as earlier suggested contact local bee keepers to aid you.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 30-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Beecrofter

"how" wrote in message . ..
Hi,
situation: Bees have moved into a 35 gal. overturned black plastic nursery
pot. Observed entering and leaving the drainage holes, seems to be a hundred
or more. Appear to be honey bees.
Question: How can this be moved about five feet without hurting the bees?
Any suggestions on harvesting honey at some point? Zone 10.
TIA -_- how
no NEWS is good

First make sure you have honey bees.
Bees will be fuzzy and carrying loads of pollen on their rear legs as
they enter the hive. Wasps will be smooth and not carrying anything on
their rear legs.
If you move them at night or during the rain you will have less
trouble but I would blow a puff or two of smoke at the hole they enter
and wait 2 minutes first. 5' should not be a problem providing it is
in direct sight of the original loaction but for a few days you will
have bees circling the original spot and then moving to the new one.
Better would be 2 moves of 2-3' but not absolutely required.
(What bees these mortals fool)
What you have is essentially a bee skep and that is how bees were kept
for centuries. In most cases bees were killed to harvest the wax and
honey.
Skeps are not lawful in most places because the hive cannot be
inspected for disease. Tell that to the feral colonies!

Old 30-08-2004, 08:26 PM
how

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
snips
First make sure you have honey bees.

Hi,
Thanks guys for the info. I'm sure they are honey bees, they are fuzzy and
have stuff on their hind legs. Going to move them gradually and only because
my wife fears attack, I know they are basically harmless. Any harm with just
leaving them in the new location and not harvesting?
Thanks again, -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 31-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Doug Kanter

Stop talking about killer bees. I just moved into a new house with a huge
butterfly bush right near the door. It's covered with butterflies, and (thus
far) very happy looking bees. I have enough to think about, what with 819
U-Haul boxes all over the floor. :-)

"J. Davidson" wrote in message
Are the "killer bees" in your area yet? I suggest you get a bee keeper to
do this for you.
J. Davidson
.. .

Old 31-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Beecrofter

"how" wrote in message ...
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
snips
First make sure you have honey bees.

Hi,
Thanks guys for the info. I'm sure they are honey bees, they are fuzzy and
have stuff on their hind legs. Going to move them gradually and only because
my wife fears attack, I know they are basically harmless. Any harm with just
leaving them in the new location and not harvesting?
Thanks again, -_- how
no NEWS is good

No harm at all, if they overwinter and are prosperous expect them to
throw off a swarm in May or June.
A strong colony may be a bit more defensive also and you have no real
control over the bloodlines so you may get a batch of bees that are a
bit testy.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:11 PM
how

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
snip

No harm at all, if they overwinter and are prosperous expect them to
throw off a swarm in May or June.
A strong colony may be a bit more defensive also and you have no real
control over the bloodlines so you may get a batch of bees that are a
bit testy.

Hi,
Thanks again, so far they seem very friendly and industrious.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good