Old 13-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Pat Jordan

Default Easter egg plant

My daughter in law gave me one of the yellow "eggs" from her Easter egg
plant. I need to know when to havest the seeds from this pod. I plan to
plant them next Spring (I live in southeast TN), but don't want to open the
pod too soon and ruin what's in there. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Old 13-09-2004, 09:20 PM
SVTKate

Hi There from Southwest TN
What is an Easter Egg plant? I've never heard of them before.

Kate

Old 13-09-2004, 09:27 PM
paghat

In article , "Pat Jordan"
wrote:

My daughter in law gave me one of the yellow "eggs" from her Easter egg
plant. I need to know when to havest the seeds from this pod. I plan to
plant them next Spring (I live in southeast TN), but don't want to open the
pod too soon and ruin what's in there. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

The "egg" of Solanum ovigerum is not a pod, it's a small variety of
annual ornamental eggplant. To collect the seeds, wait until the fruit is
overly ripe (they will be yellow when ripe) then cut it in half, remove
the seeds from the heart of the fruit, & dry them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 13-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Salty Thumb

The answer you get depends on whom you ask. People who teach things
about plants at a nursery school will give you such and such an answer,
but most people know the real answer comes from nursery rhyme school and
that's that Easter Egg plants are where Easter Bunnies come from. Easter
Bunnies are not real bunnies, otherwise there'd be a lot more of them
(them knowing all about sex in the garden, but also breakfast, lunch and
dinner, but that's beside the point).

Since, it's the wrong time of the year to be talking about Easter
Bunnies, wouldn't you rather want to know something about about orange
squashes or giant pumpkins?

P.S. Don't open the pod too early (the right time being around Easter) or
the yolk will be on you.

"SVTKate" wrote in
k.net:

Old 13-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Pat Jordan

Thanks so much for the info!!! The egg she gave me is already yellow, so
what I'll do is wait a few weeks and harvest the seeds. Should I put them
in the refrigerator to winter over, or can I plant them in indoor pots now
and move them outside next spring?

Pat

Old 14-09-2004, 02:19 AM
escapee

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:49:00 -0400, "Pat Jordan" opined:

My daughter in law gave me one of the yellow "eggs" from her Easter egg
plant. I need to know when to havest the seeds from this pod. I plan to
plant them next Spring (I live in southeast TN), but don't want to open the
pod too soon and ruin what's in there. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

There is a gourd called 'Nest Egg' and I have grown it, and have decorated them
as if they were Pysanki eggs? I may have the "Pysanki" word wrong. It's a
craft my MIL does by using layers of dyes and wax resist to create layers of
color in varying degrees of colors, light to dark.

If you do have gourds, wait till the thing is completely dry. Do not make any
holes in it before it is completely dry, and this can take up to six months, if
what you have are these gourds, the shape of eggs, but somewhat larger...about 5
to 10 cm in diameter, I'd say.

See these he

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcata...urdnestegg.htm

Old 14-09-2004, 08:11 PM
FarmerDill

Thanks so much for the info!!! The egg she gave me is already yellow, so
what I'll do is wait a few weeks and harvest the seeds. Should I put them
in the refrigerator to winter over, or can I plant them in indoor pots now
and move them outside next spring?

Pat

assuming that this is a fruit from the eggplant, and that it is mature, Then
after yo remove and dry the seeds just keep them in a cool dty place. Start the
plants indoor be about 5 weeks before you last frost date next spring. Unless
you have a green house they won't do anything in the winter time.

Old 18-09-2004, 07:46 PM
SVTKate

FOFLMAO!
Ok... you got me!

Kate

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
| The answer you get depends on whom you ask. People who teach things
| about plants at a nursery school will give you such and such an answer,
| but most people know the real answer comes from nursery rhyme school and
| that's that Easter Egg plants are where Easter Bunnies come from. Easter
| Bunnies are not real bunnies, otherwise there'd be a lot more of them
| (them knowing all about sex in the garden, but also breakfast, lunch and
| dinner, but that's beside the point).
|
| Since, it's the wrong time of the year to be talking about Easter
| Bunnies, wouldn't you rather want to know something about about orange
| squashes or giant pumpkins?
|
| P.S. Don't open the pod too early (the right time being around Easter) or
| the yolk will be on you.
|

| "SVTKate" wrote in
| k.net:
|
| Hi There from Southwest TN
| What is an Easter Egg plant? I've never heard of them before.
|
| Kate
|
| "Pat Jordan" wrote in message
| | My daughter in law gave me one of the yellow "eggs" from her Easter
| | egg plant. I need to know when to havest the seeds from this pod. I
| | plan to plant them next Spring (I live in southeast TN), but don't
| | want to open the pod too soon and ruin what's in there. Any help
| | will be greatly appreciated.
| |
| |

Old 19-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Salty Thumb

Hal wrote in news:vf4pk0p0qdh5fslvbb8b57r3cfbq09i69o@
4ax.com:

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:46:36 GMT, "SVTKate"
wrote:

| Hi There from Southwest TN
| What is an Easter Egg plant? I've never heard of them before.
|
| Kate

AKA Ornamental egg plant!
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/53946.html

Not to be confused with the ornament plant (used by S. Claus when the elves
go on strike). Ornament plants are extremely hard to grow and require a
large capital expenditure, many factory workers and maybe even a mechanical
engineer.

But it's still to early for that. The Great Pumpkin gets no respect. May
Linus whip you with a wet blanket.