Old 26-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Stu Pidasso

How about just letting the critters whose territory you moved into
stay and learn to live?

ding ding!!! I think we have a winner!

"remove munged" wrote in message
Because releasing is certain slow death, but a good solution for the
emotionally handicapped unwilling to take responsibility for their
actions. Certainly shooting the poor creature in the head would be far
more humane!

How about just letting the critters whose territory you moved into
stay and learn to live?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:25:35 -0400, "Stunk Pidasso"
wrote:

It's a woodchuck, people. Not a great white. What's wrong with letting

it
go in a non-residential area? Is it more manly to shoot it in his furry
little head? ::eyeroll::
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog....
Lori --- not a PW'd husband

"remove munged" wrote in message
.. .
Yeah there's a slug of cattle ranchers posting to this thread.....

Actually the issue seems to be a pussy whipped husband with some
delusions about not killing immediately, rather the illogical moving
and slow death is preferred to continued whipping...

On 24 Sep 2004 08:12:23 -0700, (J. Del Col)
wrote:

"Stu Pidasso" wrote in message

Guns don't kill woodchucks, idiots do....

Ask any cattle rancher or horse owner about woodchucks.

Unless you extirpate the beasts, they'll dig holes that can cripple
cattle and horses. Either shoot the woodchucks or shoot the cows or
horses after they break their legs. Your choice, ace.

J. Del Col

Old 26-09-2004, 09:02 PM
SugarChile

Once I understood that for every groundhog that was shot/relocated, a new
one would move into the vacant (and lucrative for a groundhog) territory, I
changed my strategy. I put up chicken wire fencing around the parts of the
veggie garden that contain the most enticing plants. It act as a deterrent,
but not an absolute barrier. I then bribe the hog by placing kitchen scraps
it likes, such as melon rinds or corn cobs, at the edge of the compost pile,
which lies between its main burrow and the garden. I employ negative
reinforcement by running out screaming and stamping when I see it venturing
near the garden. And I let the some of the drops from the apple tree lay on
the ground to serve as fattening-up-for-the-winter food.

This year I lost two swiss chard plants and a good section of a row of peas
to the groundhog. They are understandably hungriest early in the growing
year. I admit to being annoyed about the peas, but not to the point where I
was ready to do something elaborate like burying fencing or electrifying it.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 27-09-2004, 02:28 AM
S. M. Henning

remove munged wrote:

Because releasing is certain slow death, but a good solution for the
emotionally handicapped unwilling to take responsibility for their
actions.

Not in Pennsylvania. In fact several friends called the Game Commission
they trapped and relocated ground hogs onto State Game Lands. There
they either lived a long lire or had a very sudden death.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 27-09-2004, 07:45 PM
J. Del Col

I am surprised by how fast they are. Look like racehorses when they
head for the shed.

And woe betide anything, such as a little kid, that gets between them
and their burrow.

J. Del Col
Old 28-09-2004, 12:54 AM
hippy gardener

Heck yeah, who would want a little kid to learn anything about the
natural world his phobic parents feel compelled to shelter him/her
from!

Old 28-09-2004, 01:25 PM
hippy gardener

"Learn To Live ... Live To Learn"

Are all BS'ers scaredy cats?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:38:55 -0400, "S. M. Hamming"
wrote:

(J. Del Col) wrote:

And woe betide anything, such as a little kid, that gets between them
and their burrow.

I had one living in the fence row on the edge of my yard. One day I
caught it venturing way into my yard. I got between it and its hole and
tried to look as big and fierce and loud as I could. I screamed at it
and acted like I was going to attack it. It just sat back his rump and
showed its teeth until I got out of its way. It wasn't about to take
any guff from anyone. Now I use a gun and don't let them know where I
am.

Old 28-09-2004, 01:34 PM
J. Del Col

hippy gardener wrote in message . ..
Heck yeah, who would want a little kid to learn anything about the
natural world his phobic parents feel compelled to shelter him/her
from!

Hell yeah, what's a dozen stitches and a tetanus shot, plus a hundred
bucks for the ER visit? At least the little brat will learn to leave
woodchucks alone.

J. Del Col
Old 28-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Mrs. Fricker

hippy gardener wrote:

Heck yeah, who would want a little kid to learn anything about the
natural world his phobic parents feel compelled to shelter him/her
from!

When you sober up you need to stop hugging trees and get between a
ground hog and his hole and see if you feel safe or threatened. I can
guarantee you will feel threatened and never do it again and never
suggest that other people do it either.
Old 27-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Nottingham
Talking

hello

i just wondered if i could have a young woodchuck / groundhog if your going to kill it or relocate it. relocating an animal is quite stressful and in the long run, domesticating it would be better.

Abs xx

Old 27-02-2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Packrat®

Default Relocating a Woodchuck?

Absterama wrote in
:

hello

i just wondered if i could have a young woodchuck / groundhog if your
going to kill it or relocate it. relocating an animal is quite
stressful and in the long run, domesticating it would be better.

Abs xx

Some of my best friends are woodchucks. Trust me, they don't like
domestication. They will, however, _move_ if there's something in it for
them: like more veggies and a comfortable hammock. :-

--
jpac

"Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger,
harry, harass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate,
beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals."
San Diego Zoo / Wild Animal Park

Old 27-02-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Deputy Fife

Absterama wrote:

hello

i just wondered if i could have a young woodchuck / groundhog if your
going to kill it or relocate it. relocating an animal is quite
stressful and in the long run, domesticating it would be better.

Abs xx

A customer had one for a pet. It learned to open the refrigerator and
make a mess. When anyone cam in, it hid in the pantry.
It got out one day and a german shepherd got after it. It ran up a small
apple tree. When the dog's owner came to get his dog it ran up his legs
into his arms. The guy didn't know what was happening and slung the
critter to the ground. The dog got him. A lot of people got a kick out
of the not so little bugger.
It takes a lot of cleaning up and tolerance to keep something like
thatas a pet.

[IMG] code is On

Woodchuck defenses General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 7 15-05-2006 05:14 PM
Woodchuck hob Gardening 1 12-05-2006 11:56 AM
A woodchuck under the trailer Stormin Mormon Lawns 24 18-04-2006 05:06 AM
With Woody The Woodchuck, You Ain't Gonna Win BroJack Gardening 9 21-05-2004 05:04 PM
THE WOODCHUCK PARTY LINE Joe Zorzin alt.forestry 0 17-01-2003 09:52 AM