Old 26-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Jenny

Default Questions about Lime for Lawn

I got my soil tested by some local Master Gardeners and they told me how
many pounds per 100 sq feet the lawn needs to correct the pH.

But I'm mystified as to what to do next.

A couple questions:

1. What is the difference between pelletized lime and the cheaper stuff?

2. Do I use my Scott's rotary spreader to apply the lime, and if so, how do
I figure out the setting needed?

3. My lawn needs a huge amount of lime. I assume I do a bit each year, not
all at once. Is this so?

4. I've planted new grass and overseeded this month. When is it safe to
apply the lime?

Zone 5 here, with a 1 year old lawn for a new house.
-- Jenny

Old 27-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:21:07 -0400, "Jenny"
wrote:

I got my soil tested by some local Master Gardeners and they told me how
many pounds per 100 sq feet the lawn needs to correct the pH.

But I'm mystified as to what to do next.

A couple questions:

1. What is the difference between pelletized lime and the cheaper stuff?

Pelletized lime is distributed as pellets. Agricultural lime produces
large white clouds and is very messy. If it contains traces of
magnesium all the better.

2. Do I use my Scott's rotary spreader to apply the lime, and if so, how do
I figure out the setting needed?

Yes. Read the suggestions on the package. I have a Scotts rotary
spreader and set it to "9" for pelletized lime. You can always go
back again until it is gone.

3. My lawn needs a huge amount of lime. I assume I do a bit each year, not
all at once. Is this so?

For a half acre apply 800 pounds. Do another pH test in 6 months and
reapply lime if needed. Lime works slowly. Purchase a pH test
kit--they are inexpensive.

4. I've planted new grass and overseeded this month. When is it safe to
apply the lime?

You can apply lime at any time without harm to the grass.

Old 27-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Alan Sung

"Jenny" wrote in message
2. Do I use my Scott's rotary spreader to apply the lime, and if so, how

do
I figure out the setting needed?

Do NOT use a rotary spreader for powdered lime. You will get huge clouds of
the stuff that will just waft away in the wind and you yourself will look
like a white ghost when you're done. A drop spreader is best for powdered
lime. You can use a rotary spreader for pelletized lime which I would
recommend for ease of use.

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)