Old 09-10-2004, 06:48 AM
rosemarie face

Default Storing Cannas ...

Hi everyone !
This year for the first time I had a bed of Cannas in my garden . How do
I store them for winter ?? I have read up on it a little and it said to
store them in peat moss . My dilemma is that I can't find any in any
stores around here . Are there other alternatives ? I want to store
them in my basement . Please help !
Thanks ! Rosie z5

Old 09-10-2004, 05:22 PM
FITO

"rosemarie face" wrote in message
Hi everyone !
This year for the first time I had a bed of Cannas in my garden . How do
I store them for winter ?? I have read up on it a little and it said to
store them in peat moss . My dilemma is that I can't find any in any
stores around here . Are there other alternatives ? I want to store
them in my basement . Please help !
Thanks ! Rosie z5

I use its own soil, newspaper, and sawdust to store them. Works good.

Fito

Old 09-10-2004, 06:35 PM
StanB

"FITO" wrote in message

"rosemarie face" wrote in message

Hi everyone !
This year for the first time I had a bed of Cannas in my garden . How do
I store them for winter ?? I have read up on it a little and it said to
store them in peat moss . My dilemma is that I can't find any in any
stores around here . Are there other alternatives ? I want to store
them in my basement . Please help !
Thanks ! Rosie z5

I use its own soil, newspaper, and sawdust to store them. Works good.

I use crumbled newspaper, their own soil, and a dash of water and keep them
in a plastic supermarket bag in my basement. They're hard to kill. Just
don't let them dry out.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:20 AM
madgardener

Lowes has Peat moss in 6 cubic foot cubes for $8. Since that's pretty
cheap, you can even get an OPEN bag for HALF PRICE!! That's enough to store
all your tubers in and make your own potting soil as well!!
madgardener

--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:59 AM
escapee

That price is correct, but I believe those bales are 3.8 cubic feet.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:20:57 -0400, "madgardener" opined:

Old 10-10-2004, 05:08 AM
starlord

canna are rhizomes and that peat moss will dry them out and kill it. Just
dig them up, do NOT wash them, dump them into either a box or paper bags and
store in a cool dark place, a place that's abover 35F but below 45F.

good this to do is mid winter check for mold and maybe spray a tiny bit of
water onthem IF needed.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
http://starlords.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"madgardener" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 10-10-2004, 01:02 PM
SugarChile

I think it all depends on your circumstances. I don't have a basement, or a
place that stays between 35-45F. I've got a closet that stays about 60F. I
heat with coal, and even with added humidification the air in the house
tends to be dry. I store my main crop of cannas in plastic tubs, with the
lids askew for ventilation, in slightly moist peat moss. The extras I
store in bags or boxes without peat moss. They all make it though alive,
but the ones stored in peat are plumper and healthier and start up faster in
the spring.

Either way, after digging I let them sit under cover and dry out for a few
days before storing, to prevent rot, as our soil tends to be wet and heavy.
This also allows any cut surfaces to scab over.

If you are new to storing cannas, you might want to try several different
approaches, and see what works best.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
starlord

I live in the High Mojave Desert of Calif. and don't have to dig them up for
winter.

http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna

--

"starlord" wrote in message
canna are rhizomes and that peat moss will dry them out and kill it.

Just
dig them up, do NOT wash them, dump them into either a box or paper bags
and
store in a cool dark place, a place that's abover 35F but below 45F.

good this to do is mid winter check for mold and maybe spray a tiny bit

of
water onthem IF needed.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 11-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"rosemarie face" wrote in message
Hi everyone !
This year for the first time I had a bed of Cannas in my garden . How do
I store them for winter ?? I have read up on it a little and it said to
store them in peat moss . My dilemma is that I can't find any in any
stores around here . Are there other alternatives ? I want to store
them in my basement . Please help !
Thanks ! Rosie z5

Just what you need - another answer! I dig them up and hose off all the
soil. Because I don't want soft tissue that can rot (and has for me, in the
past), I clip back the fine roots to about 2". Dry the tubers on screens for
a day. Pick up a container of sulfur powder at a garden store. While you're
there, pick up some vermiculite - enough to completely cover all the tubers
in their storage container. Put an appropriate amount of sulfur in a plastic
bag, drop in the bulbs, and shake to dust them as if you were dusting
chicken with flour. Remove the roots and shake off the excess sulfur. Bury
the tubers in vermiculite.

I use large plastic storage boxes because they're more manageable than
plastic bags. And, they won't get holes in them, which would cause
vermiculite to leak all over the place. And, you'll want to check the
condition of the tubers and moisture level in the box from time to time.
Opening a lid is easier than dealing with a bag in the corner of a dark
basement.

The vermiculite can be used year after year. By the way, you should work
OUTDOORS with vermiculite. If I recall, the dust is something you shouldn't
breathe.

This technique came from a hotel gardener I knew in Long Island 25 years
ago. His reasoning was as follows:

1) The soil contains microorganisms which make compost. He didn't want to
take any chances with the little buggers making compost out of his canna
roots.

2) The sulfur raises the acidity level of the tubers' "skin", which he felt
would lessen the chances of rotting.

3) The vermiculite is sterile, at least in theory.

Considering that this guy grew ten foot tall cannas, and the tubers were
enormous, I was inclined to take his advice. And, it works.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:24 AM
HA HA Budys Here

From: "Doug Kanter"

[...]

Thanks for another method that works.

Now... WHEN to dig up the cannas? Some of mine are still flowering, and others
are turning yellow, along with the dedicious trees.

Can I yank them out and hack them down while in full bloom?
TIA
Old 12-10-2004, 02:43 AM
SugarChile

The standard advice is to wait until after they are hit by heavy frost. I
don't like to do so, because the foliage gets slimy and unpleasant to deal
with. It's also not much fun to be mucking about in the dirt when it's
frosty outside. So I take mine down and out on a nice sunny day while they
are still green. Indian summer is the perfect weather for it.

If this is your first time digging them up, you will be amazed at how much
the rhizomes have multiplied! Have fun,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 12-10-2004, 05:02 PM
TheCouchCruncher

How much of the old stem should you leave on the tuber?

My experience so far. I planted this plant for the first time last
year. The lady that gave them to me said just dig them up shake off
most of the dirt and put them in plastic shopping bags and hang in the
garage. I did and a good amount of my tubers turned to mush. I think I
put too many in each bag and I should have dried them out a day or two
out side in the sun to get rid of the extra moisture. I guess it is a
fine line. They are a live plant that can't dry out but you can't have
too much moisture either.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Doug Kanter

"TheCouchCruncher" wrote in message
m...
How much of the old stem should you leave on the tuber?

Hardly any stem. Maybe 1/2". Make a nice clean cut with a sharp kitchen
knife. Make sure a little of the sulfur powder clings to the open cut after
you shake off the excess powder. The stem is soft tissue, unlike the outside
of the tubers, which are sorta kinda "sealed" by a skin. So, the open cut is
more likely to rot.

My experience so far. I planted this plant for the first time last
year. The lady that gave them to me said just dig them up shake off
most of the dirt and put them in plastic shopping bags and hang in the
garage. I did and a good amount of my tubers turned to mush. I think I
put too many in each bag and I should have dried them out a day or two
out side in the sun to get rid of the extra moisture. I guess it is a
fine line. They are a live plant that can't dry out but you can't have
too much moisture either.

They're better off in the basement, unless your basement is quite warm. I
used to have a root cellar that stayed between 35 and 45 degrees all winter,
and that worked fine. If your garage gets below freezing, the roots won't be
happy - they're sometimes better off in the ground under a lot of mulch, as
opposed to hanging in the garage. It all depends on your weather. One of my
dahlias was accidentally left in the ground one winter and it survived. It
was up against the East wall of the house, which got lots of sun. I put a
foot of straw on top of it after I realized my mistake, and the plant came
back healthy.

Indoors, the goal isn't much different than storing potatoes. You don't want
to let them get dry & shriveled, but you don't want them too wet. Too warm
and they'll start growing. Too cold and they'll freeze and become soup. So,
you have to keep a thermometer nearby, and fondle the tubers from time to
time. The best way to add water is with a misting bottle.