Old 19-10-2004, 08:45 PM
laura

Default skunks

Thanks to the person who posted the suggestion to use light to
discourage skunks from making a home under a porch. I had one(?) who
had been wintering under my porch inspite of my efforts to keep
lattice in place. It's tricky because I didn't want to seal it up
tightly if he was in there asleep and then have a dead skunk under the
porch. I followed the posted suggestion and secured a shop light to a
long stick with duct tape so I could push it all the way back under
the porch. Then I left the 75 watt bulb burning for a few days.
Apparently the skunk came "home" one morning, saw the light and moved
out. After 3 days with no evidence of disturbance to the lattice, I
removed the light and secured the area more tightly. The varmints
haven't been back since and I didn't have to put up with any smelly
repellent sprays.
Thanx again.
Old 20-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Doug Kanter

"laura" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Another magical solution for some situations: Buy a roll of fence wire - the
kind with the rectangular openings and wire thick enough to poke your eye
out. Grab your wire cutters and cut every 2nd or 3rd rectangle, bending the
cut wires toward one side. Mount in the appropriate place. I think only a
porcupine would find it comforting. But, it worked nicely to keep someone
away from my son's strawberries. We suspect a raccoon. Whomever it was, they
were stealing not just the berries, but the little stalk that contains 3-4
berries. Cleanly bitten off.

[IMG] code is On

Fun With Skunks JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] Gardening 12 28-08-2010 05:55 PM
Skunks Frank Lawns 4 30-07-2007 08:29 PM
Do skunks fish? Reel Mckoi Ponds 0 17-10-2005 08:29 AM
Q: Do skunks fish? CanadianCowboy Ponds 0 17-10-2005 01:43 AM
Racoons/Skunks Ben Tuinman Gardening 2 31-03-2003 05:08 PM