Old 11-12-2004, 07:21 AM

Default The Perfect Tree

I live in Seattle and have been trying to hunt down the perfect tree to
act as a privacy screen from some neighbors. About 12 - 15 ft. tall and
10 or so feet wide would be about right. Nothing has struck me as the
perfect size. Ideally I would like to be able to trim and shape it a
bit so it didn't take over the yard and something pretty would be nice.
A tree that could sit at the back of a mixed border and be prominent
but not take over the whole border. Deciduous would actually be okay if
it added structure to the garden in the winter. Any ideas?

Old 11-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Pam - gardengal

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Seattle and have been trying to hunt down the perfect tree to
act as a privacy screen from some neighbors. About 12 - 15 ft. tall and
10 or so feet wide would be about right. Nothing has struck me as the
perfect size. Ideally I would like to be able to trim and shape it a
bit so it didn't take over the yard and something pretty would be nice.
A tree that could sit at the back of a mixed border and be prominent
but not take over the whole border. Deciduous would actually be okay if
it added structure to the garden in the winter. Any ideas?

A mature size of 12-15' is a VERY small tree - some dwarf flowering crabs,
small magnolias or selected Japanese maples may do the trick. Otherwise you
are most likely looking for some more tree-like shrubs - smokebush, dwarf
lilacs, flowering currants, tree-form peegee hydrangea, all sorts of choices
in the broadleaf evergreens (laurels, escallonia, garrya, ceanothus, compact
strawberry tree, nandina). And there is always the standard screening
selections - arborvitae, Irish yews, clumping bamboo, other columar
conifers.

Visit a local nursery and ask what they suggest. Planting at this time of
year will limit selection, obviously, but they will be bringing in new plant
material soon after the first of the year and selection will increase
significantly during late winter and early spring (February and March).
Drive out to Emery's Garden in Lynnwood and ask for me - I'd be happy to
show you what choice are available.

pam - gardengal