Old 24-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Linda

Default Mulch

Hi--Merry Christmas!!

What name of mulch do you use for your flowers? Everyone says to
mulch--roses, perennials, annuals, etc. But please give me the name of the
one you use and like the best! Thanks

Linda

Old 24-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:31:43 GMT, "Linda"
wrote:

Hi--Merry Christmas!!

What name of mulch do you use for your flowers? Everyone says to
mulch--roses, perennials, annuals, etc. But please give me the name of the
one you use and like the best! Thanks

Linda

I use different things. I have a chipper/shredder so that makes a
lot of wood chips and ground up leaves (I have about 200 trees). For
the rose garden, I use composted cow manure ("Black Kow" in a yellow
bag.) For my azalea garden, I use pine needles collected from the
pine woods. I use home-made compost for annuals, clematis,
hydrangeas, and peonies. All mulches I use decompose.
Old 25-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Someone

Linda wrote:
Hi--Merry Christmas!!

What name of mulch do you use for your flowers? Everyone says to
mulch--roses, perennials, annuals, etc. But please give me the name of the
one you use and like the best! Thanks

Linda

not knowing alot myself, i was told to choose according to the type of
soil, zone, and exactly what kind of flowers will be planted. good luck.
Old 26-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Travis

escape wrote:
If you want to get technical, fungal based mulch is best for trees
and shrubs and bacterial based mulch is best for perennials.

What the hell is fungal based mulch?
What the hell is bacterial based mulch?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 27-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Travis" wrote in message
escape wrote:
If you want to get technical, fungal based mulch is best for trees
and shrubs and bacterial based mulch is best for perennials.

What the hell is fungal based mulch?
What the hell is bacterial based mulch?

These terms are typically used in reference to compost specifically but can
be extrapolated to include other organic mulches as well. Compost that is
high in greens or animal manures tend to be more highly populated with
beneficial bacterial organisms than those with higher woody content, which
tend to be more fungal populated in nature. Therefore, finished compost or
composted manures tend to be better for perennials, annuals and vegetable
crops and woody mulches (bark, pine straw, wood chips) tend to be better for
trees and shrubs.

pam - gardengal

Old 27-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Travis

escape wrote:
If you want to get technical, fungal based mulch is best for trees
and shrubs and bacterial based mulch is best for perennials.

What the hell is fungal based mulch?
What the hell is bacterial based mulch?

These terms are typically used in reference to compost specifically
but can be extrapolated to include other organic mulches as well.
Compost that is high in greens or animal manures tend to be more
highly populated with beneficial bacterial organisms than those
with higher woody content, which tend to be more fungal populated
in nature. Therefore, finished compost or composted manures tend to
be better for perennials, annuals and vegetable crops and woody
mulches (bark, pine straw, wood chips) tend to be better for trees
and shrubs.

pam - gardengal

Thanks Pam. I always learn something from you.

I just mulched most of my backyard with free wood chips from a tree
service. First I killed the grass (not lawn) with RoundUp and then
applied the chips. My intent is to have the water (rain and
supplemental) go mostly to my bamboo's, trees and shrubs and not the
grass. For the most part the chips are 3 inches deep. I hope for more
chips so I can cover the whole yard.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 28-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Travis

escape wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:54:57 GMT, "Travis"
opined:

escape wrote:
[...]

Actually, you learned it from me, but didn't look it up and Pam
told you what it was. Roundup can kill trees and shrubs. I hope
you didn't get any on them.

I Googled "fungal mulch" and didn't see anything.

I know how to use RoundUp.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 30-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:22:15 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

I Googled "fungal mulch" and didn't see anything.

I know how to use RoundUp.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

So you don't the difference between mulch and compost?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Retiredff

Travis wrote:
I just mulched most of my backyard with free wood chips from a tree
service. For the most part the chips are 3 inches deep. I hope
for more chips so I can cover the whole yard.

Travis-
If those are hardwood chips. and a wild guess would say at least part of
them are, then I wish you the best.

Take a look at some of these search results for artillery fungus, also
known as shotgun fungus.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...fungus&spell=1

You may decide to re-think your yard.

The last time I dug deep into this, maybe a year ago, there was still
nothing that would clean the spores from your house, your car, your lawn
furniture, etc.

[IMG] code is On

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 06:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 10:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 01:15 AM