Old 17-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Dave Smith

Default indoor plant for stand

I'm really showing off my innocence in regards to plants with this
question. I'm looking for a plant to sit on my phone stand. It is one of
those metal stands, about 5ft tall, slim, with three shelves. So this
plant could sit on the 2nd (middle) shelf. I'm assuming that some type
of fern would do well inside? Ok, I'll stop talking about things I don't
know about and wait for suggestions. So this shelf is no more than 8" so
I couldn't go too huge. Thanks for any advice.

Dave
Old 17-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:43:28 -0800, Dave Smith
wrote:

I'm really showing off my innocence in regards to plants with this
question. I'm looking for a plant to sit on my phone stand. It is one of
those metal stands, about 5ft tall, slim, with three shelves. So this
plant could sit on the 2nd (middle) shelf. I'm assuming that some type
of fern would do well inside? Ok, I'll stop talking about things I don't
know about and wait for suggestions. So this shelf is no more than 8" so
I couldn't go too huge. Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Some ferns can grow large (I have a fern stand with a 8 year old
Boston fern that is huge). Also, I have a button fern.

I need to ask...

1. How much light/sun does the shelves get?
2. How much space is above the second shelf?
3. Are you looking for am easy-to-care houseplant?
4. Are you looking for something vining? flowers? colors?
5. Plants, even the easy ones, need some care. Are you willing/able
to give some care? (If not, get an "air fern"--it requires no water,
is dead but looks good.)
Old 18-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Dave Smith

I need to ask...

1. How much light/sun does the shelves get?

it is next to a window but probably does not get direct sunlight.

2. How much space is above the second shelf?

about 18 inches

3. Are you looking for am easy-to-care houseplant?

that sounds good for a beginner

4. Are you looking for something vining? flowers? colors?

i'm open to anything.

5. Plants, even the easy ones, need some care. Are you willing/able
to give some care? (If not, get an "air fern"--it requires no water,
is dead but looks good.)

heh, i'm willing to do some watering. I have a 4yr old that I think
would enjoy it.

thanks for any advice,

Dave
Old 19-02-2005, 04:01 AM
Phisherman

These are good in medium/low light: arrowhead, aglemedia (sp?) Silver
Queen, staphilia, philodendron, grape ivy, devils ivy, spider plant,
sanseveria, peperomia. If this gets a little morning sun, try African
violet. If there is no sunlight at all you might try "Lucky bamboo"
which grows in pebbles and water. Most people water their plants too
much--once a week should be enough perhaps twice a week during the
summer months. Get a good large waterproof saucer.

Old 20-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Dave Smith

Went to fred meyers tonight and picked an ivy. It didn't say what type
on the tag but it did say "hardy, needs watering weekly" which seemed
about right for me. :-)

Dave

Old 20-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisherman

wrote:

I need to ask...

1. How much light/sun does the shelves get?

it is next to a window but probably does not get direct sunlight.

2. How much space is above the second shelf?

about 18 inches

3. Are you looking for am easy-to-care houseplant?

that sounds good for a beginner

4. Are you looking for something vining? flowers? colors?

i'm open to anything.

5. Plants, even the easy ones, need some care. Are you willing/able
to give some care? (If not, get an "air fern"--it requires no water,
is dead but looks good.)

heh, i'm willing to do some watering. I have a 4yr old that I think
would enjoy it.

thanks for any advice,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Some great suggestions for plants. I don't think the space is tall enough for the aglaomena and there are two different types of sansevieria. One is tall and thin - Mother in laws tongue and one is short and compact - Birds nest type. You might also find these sites helpful to id the suggestions and care for them.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...leryindex.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...dexcommon.html
http://www.ourgardengang.com/houseplants.htm

Enjoy,
Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 20-02-2005, 11:16 AM
BillandJeny

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:45:26 -0800, Dave Smith
wrote:

Went to fred meyers tonight and picked an ivy. It didn't say what type
on the tag but it did say "hardy, needs watering weekly" which seemed
about right for me. :-)

Dave

Give it a good shower with a spray bottle of water a couple times a
week to discourage spider mites.

zhan
Old 20-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

Went to fred meyers tonight and picked an ivy. It didn't say what type
on the tag but it did say "hardy, needs watering weekly" which seemed
about right for me. :-)

Dave

The word "hardy" generally means that plant is not a tropical plant
and can be planted outdoors without any freezing concern. Like
another post stated, take it to the shower a couple times a month to
ward off spider mite and to keep the plant clean.
Old 28-02-2005, 05:13 AM
Dave Smith

Those are great links, I've bookmarked them. Thanks!

Dave

In article ,
Newt wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4wqlg
http://tinyurl.com/6p5dz
http://tinyurl.com/6hsmq

Old 28-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith
Those are great links, I've bookmarked them. Thanks!

Dave

In article ,
Newt
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4wqlg
http://tinyurl.com/6p5dz
http://tinyurl.com/6hsmq

Dave, you are very welcome! Enjoy your new plant.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

fluorescent plant stand solaara United Kingdom 7 19-09-2006 10:36 AM
Plant stand help Ang United Kingdom 2 12-03-2005 04:15 PM
Plant trees/stand? Raymond G. Waldo Gardening 2 20-06-2004 03:03 AM
How to prepare a 'plant stand' for outdoor life Tracey Gardening 2 17-04-2003 08:56 PM
Which plant can stand aphid and can grow on a balcony? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 4 22-10-2002 04:15 PM