Old 27-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Rick

Default Get the pond ready for winter

I am a first year ponder and live in central Mo. My pond is about 1200 Gal.
although I have had my bout with algae and string weed something I have
learned that every ponder must go thru. I have had nothing but joy with my
new found hobby . Winter is coming and I have a couple of questions. I
think, I have the problem of keeping the pond from completely freezing over
solved , keep my 3 Koi and 6 Goldfish alive, with a bubbler and if need be a
stock tank heater. My question is about my plants. I have a Water Iris,
Imperial Taro, Red Star Tulhub, Black Tiger, White Pickerel, Water lettuce
and some Lilies. I really don't know if the names of the plants are correct.
who ever wrote the name on those little plant markers must have been a
part-time doctor, I could not make out his writing. I will put the lilies
into the deepest part of the pond but don't know with the others. Can I
just bring them in to the house in a container and change the water ones a
week, what do I feed them , is the light from a window enough. I would
really like to save all my plants , including my Water Lettuce.

Old 29-09-2004, 04:16 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I am a first year ponder and live in central Mo. My pond is about 1200 Gal.
snip
stock tank heater. My question is about my plants. I have a Water Iris,
Imperial Taro, Red Star Tulhub, Black Tiger, White Pickerel, Water lettuce
and some Lilies. I really don't know if the names of the plants are correct.
snip
week, what do I feed them , is the light from a window enough. I would
really like to save all my plants , including my Water Lettuce.

Taro will have to come in, it is an easy keeper, needs light from a window,
it will be fine. De-bug it before you bring it in and clip off all but one
new leaf. Watch for spider mites mid-winter. Everything else can stay out,
except I've never heard of or seen Red Star Tulhub or Black Tiger. Could
you take a picture/website? Or google for a picture perhaps? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Rick

Jan
Do I keep the Taro in water or like a normal house plant. I'll just bring
the Red Star Tulhub and Black Tigerin also. I've been looking for a picture
of them so I can check on the names so fare no dice. Any ideas on the Water
Lettuce? Thanx

Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 00:39:31 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

Jan
Do I keep the Taro in water or like a normal house plant.

Keep in water.

I'll just bring the Red Star Tulhub and Black Tigerin also. I've been looking for a picture
of them so I can check on the names so fare no dice. Any ideas on the Water
Lettuce? Thanx

You won't like my advice on WL.... compost it, too buggy, brings in aphids
eggs that hatch about February and just about the time you think you've got
them to survive thru winter they croak. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

DIY frenzy to get the pond ready for winter... Theo van Daele Ponds 9 22-09-2005 03:32 PM
OT Get ready America Tax Man Gardening 6 10-03-2005 08:37 PM
Get lawn and garden ready for spring! (LandSteward Article) Earl Gardening 0 24-02-2005 05:25 PM
Get the pond ready for winter Rick Ponds 0 27-09-2004 01:08 AM
Getting ready for my fisrt winter with a pond Nathan A. Smith Ponds 77 17-09-2004 05:37 PM