Old 05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Popcorn Lover

Default Vinegar and weeds?

My neighbor was telling me that you can spray vinegar on weeds to kill them.
Is that true?

My biggest concern is the soil. If it stays in the soil, will grass be able
to grow there after that?

--
- Popcorn Lover
If you love popcorn too, there are no popcorn groups on usenet but
Old 05-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 13:16:07 -0600, Popcorn Lover
wrote:

My neighbor was telling me that you can spray vinegar on weeds to kill them.
Is that true?

My biggest concern is the soil. If it stays in the soil, will grass be able
to grow there after that?

Yes. The vinegar will deteriorate after the next rainfall. I have
tried vinegar with limited success, but you may have better luck with
it. I pull weeds after a rainfall to limit use of a herbicide. Let us
know.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Warren

Popcorn Lover wrote:
My neighbor was telling me that you can spray vinegar on weeds to kill
them.
Is that true?

You're not going to have much luck with the vinegar you get at the
grocery store. Those are only between 2-5% acid. They're already too
watered down to have much of an effect on weeds. The 20% mix you can get
for hoticulural use is what you'd have to start with.

My biggest concern is the soil. If it stays in the soil, will grass be
able
to grow there after that?

If you paint the weeds, or lightly spray them, you aren't likely to
change the ph of the soil enough to cause later problems. Each rainfall
will wash more away, too. Just don't drench the weeds or the soil.

But even with the stronger vinegar, this isn't some magic cure for a
weed problem. It's probably best around acid loving plants like azaleas,
and for patches of weeds that are too thick to hand pull without
bringing up all the soil. It's not something that's well suited for
weeds in the middle of the lawn.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
April 15 is coming fast. Compare Tax Prep Softwa
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html

Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 AM
S Orth

Last I heard about vinegar for weed control was that to be effective, it had
to be a stronger concentration, more like 24%, than what is available at
the grocery store, usually 5%. Also, it can change the pH of the soil and
doesn't do a good job of killing nasty weeds such as thistles at the root.
Here's some interesting info from Purdue:
http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/weednews/vinegar.htm .

Hope this helps!
Suzy O
Milwaukee, WI
. 142...

Old 09-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Salty Thumb

Popcorn Lover wrote in
. 142:

My neighbor was telling me that you can spray vinegar on weeds to kill
them. Is that true?

My biggest concern is the soil. If it stays in the soil, will grass be
able to grow there after that?

You can, depends on the weed. Works best when the plant's root system is
limited (e.g. confined to a sidewalk crack), soil moisture low, and
application is on a bright day. Regular 5% grocery store vinegar is fine
under those circumstances. Other applications may require higher
concentrations or alternative removal methods.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:24 AM
dps

Do it early in the year when the root system isn't developed fully.

Doesn't work well on grassy weeds.

Salty Thumb wrote:
Popcorn Lover wrote in
. 142:

My neighbor was telling me that you can spray vinegar on weeds to kill
them. Is that true?

My biggest concern is the soil. If it stays in the soil, will grass be
able to grow there after that?

You can, depends on the weed. Works best when the plant's root system is
limited (e.g. confined to a sidewalk crack), soil moisture low, and
application is on a bright day. Regular 5% grocery store vinegar is fine
under those circumstances. Other applications may require higher
concentrations or alternative removal methods.

[IMG] code is On

Henbit and vinegar ZoysiaSod Lawns 0 01-12-2011 12:25 AM
vinegar for weeds? 0tterbot Australia 16 07-01-2010 04:42 AM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Vinegar for killing weeds -- follow up Chelsea Christenson Gardening 6 24-07-2003 01:02 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM