Old 07-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Suzie-Q

Default How tallest is your rose bush?

The Guiness record for the tallest rose bush is somewhere
around 11 feet. This is supposedly with the help of some
sort of commercial rose food. I forget the brand.

I have a rose bush (that was present when I bought my house
11 years ago) that grows each year to about eight or nine
feet with nothing but watering. Each March I prune it down
to about four feet.

I'm just wondering how tall your rosebushes get.

I'm in central Texas.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Old 07-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Warren

Suzie-Q wrote:
The Guiness record for the tallest rose bush is somewhere
around 11 feet. This is supposedly with the help of some
sort of commercial rose food. I forget the brand.

I have a rose bush (that was present when I bought my house
11 years ago) that grows each year to about eight or nine
feet with nothing but watering. Each March I prune it down
to about four feet.

I'm just wondering how tall your rosebushes get.

When I bought the house almost 4 years ago, there were around 30 various
rose bushes flanking both sides of the driveway. There are various
hybrid teas and floribundas, most of which have no sign of a tag.. One
side of the driveway also had a butterfly bush that was keeping some of
the rose bushes in the shade. A little over a year ago, an ice storm
damaged the butterfly bush so badly that it died.

Two of the rose bushes that had been in the shade of the butterfly bush,
and had been fairly sickly looking took off last summer. I'm 5'10", and
I could barely reach the top of one, and I couldn't reach the top of the
other. That would put it over 8'.

The only thing I was doing last year was spraying compost tea on the
foliage and soil around the roses starting in June. We had a moist
spring last year, and I had some black spot that I was treating.

BTW.... 11'1" probably won't be the record for long:

And this year, the rose went wild again. Villalobos said it hit 12 feet
8 inches tall, a mark she has submitted to Guinness to establish a new
record.

But for how long?

According to published accounts, a family in Peoria, Ill., grew one that
was measured in late September at 13 feet, 7.5 inches.

Source:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...c2records.html

Some how I suspect that 11' hybrid teas aren't all that amazing. I think
people just haven't bothered submitting their tall roses to Guinness.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Clean-up your yard this spring with Black and Decker tools:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 07-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Phisherman

Mine are well over 12 feet tall. They are Don Juan and "trained" to a
trellis. Two years ago I bent the long canes over and tied them and
lots of side shoots grew out the bent canes. I have to keep trimming
them back. Must be all that cow manure I throw at them. I only have
three bushes, but that's enough work for me.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Suzanne D.

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
The Guiness record for the tallest rose bush is somewhere
around 11 feet. This is supposedly with the help of some
sort of commercial rose food. I forget the brand.

I used to have one that would routinely get to be about ten feet tall, but
when I forgot to prune it one spring it grew taller than that. It had
hundreds of flowers as well. I used no fertilizers, and I barely even
watered it. This was in Salt Lake City.
--S.