Old 02-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Bob Stock

Default Wisteria Doesn't Flower Anymore

I live in Los Angeles. I moved into my house in 1992. There is a
wisteria that grows on the handrail in the front yard. It gets a lot
of sun. For the first several years I lived here, it flowered every
spring. For the last several years, it leaves beautifully but has
zero flowers.

What should I do so it flowers again?

Thanks.

Bob
Old 02-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Toni

"Bob Stock" wrote in message
What should I do so it flowers again?

Are you feeding?

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Bob Stock

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 04:59:00 -0500, "Toni" wrote:

"Bob Stock" wrote in message
.. .
What should I do so it flowers again?

Are you feeding?

Nope - not doing anything, actually. Looks like I should be doing
something, which is why I posted.

Bob
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Toni

"Bob Stock" wrote in message

Are you feeding?

Nope - not doing anything, actually. Looks like I should be doing
something, which is why I posted.

I would then suggest that you begin feeding. Plants need nutrients and soil
becomes depleted over time.
Organic compost is my primary choice, but even supermarket 20-20-20 would be
a start.
You may choose to use a "flowering" formula to help it along- that would be
a fertilizer with a higher middle number like 5-10-5 or some such.
If it were *me* I would use a general formula to get the plant back into tip
top shape before asking it to perform, but others may say it's fine to push
for blooming this season.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 03-04-2005, 03:05 PM

I would change that to "must". actually most failure to flower is too much shade,
flowers getting blasted by cold weather, and too much leaves (needs to be pruned
sharply). do a google search for wisteria pruning. Ingrid

"Toni" wrote:
You may choose to use a "flowering" formula to help it along- that would be
a fertilizer with a higher middle number like 5-10-5 or some such.
If it were *me* I would use a general formula to get the plant back into tip
top shape before asking it to perform, but others may say it's fine to push
for blooming this season.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Old 03-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Cereus-validus.....

That's because the gardener on Wisteria lane is too busy humping horny
housewives to any gardening.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:32 PM

skip all the above crap and just leave it alone. As for "feeding",
plants make thier own food. You should never have to fertilize
wisteria, ever. Fertilizing can make things worse, since the added
nitrogen will probably cause it to concentrate more on vegetative
growth. When you plant wisteria you have to do it with the knowledge
that these are plants that do not flower reliably.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:13:50 +0000, Bob Stock wrote:

I live in Los Angeles. I moved into my house in 1992. There is a
wisteria that grows on the handrail in the front yard. It gets a lot of
sun. For the first several years I lived here, it flowered every spring.
For the last several years, it leaves beautifully but has zero flowers.

What should I do so it flowers again?

Thanks.

Bob

Pruning pratices are VERY important to Wisterias. Prune back the long
vines until each have 5-7 nodes left. Also have you been feeding it?
If not do.

Tom

Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stock
I live in Los Angeles. I moved into my house in 1992. There is a wisteria that grows on the handrail in the front yard. It gets a lot of sun. For the first several years I lived here, it flowered every spring. For the last several years, it leaves beautifully but has
zero flowers.

What should I do so it flowers again?

Thanks.

Bob
Hi Bob,

You should find this site most helpful.
http://www.rippingale.com/~meacham/wisfaq.html

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.