Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 PM
retiredprof55

Default Recycled tire mulch

We are considering using recycled tire mulch in our walkways in our
organic garden. Although the companies claim that it is non-toxic, we
are still concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Has anyone
come across studies on this either pro or con? Thanks.

SB

Old 05-04-2005, 12:31 AM
yippie

Organic and ground up tires? No longer organic....why not use wood
chips that break down and build soil?

Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

We are considering using recycled tire mulch in our walkways in our
organic garden. Although the companies claim that it is non-toxic, we
are still concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Has anyone
come across studies on this either pro or con? Thanks.

SB

Unlike most mulches tires won't provide any nutrients. Bark chunks,
sawdust, or gravel look more natural in a "organic" garden. Tires
contain sulfur compounds which might leach into your garden--not sure
if that's a good thing.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 AM
timorous barghest

"retiredprof55" wrote:

We are considering using recycled tire mulch in our walkways in our
organic garden. Although the companies claim that it is non-toxic, we
are still concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Has anyone
come across studies on this either pro or con? Thanks.

I would not use it. Read what our own Paghat had to say about it and
I think you'll decide you do not want it:

http://www.paghat.com/rubbermulch.html

You can find plenty more both pro and con using Google, but frankly
most of the pro that I have found seems to be from people selling it.
*shrugs*

--

pull the weeds to email me:
Old 06-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Snooze

"retiredprof55" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are considering using recycled tire mulch in our walkways in our
organic garden. Although the companies claim that it is non-toxic, we
are still concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Has anyone
come across studies on this either pro or con? Thanks.

SB

One of the unique quirks of the american environmental legal regulations.
You can take a drum of toxic waste, prove that it has measurable levels of
nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium and put it in a container and call it
fertilizer or soil ammendment.

Ignore the websites that sell shredded tires, read this.

http://www.deq.state.va.us/waste/pdf/superfund/rhi.pdf

-S

Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM
paghat

In article , "Snooze"
wrote:

"retiredprof55" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are considering using recycled tire mulch in our walkways in our
organic garden. Although the companies claim that it is non-toxic, we
are still concerned about chemicals leaching into the soil. Has anyone
come across studies on this either pro or con? Thanks.

SB

One of the unique quirks of the american environmental legal regulations.
You can take a drum of toxic waste, prove that it has measurable levels of
nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium and put it in a container and call it
fertilizer or soil ammendment.

Ignore the websites that sell shredded tires, read this.

http://www.deq.state.va.us/waste/pdf/superfund/rhi.pdf

-S

Also this:
"Now you too can kill your garden with rubber mulch."
http://www.paghat.com/rubbermulch.html

Though the short version is:
1) The zinc content of rubber mulch is alone sufficient to kill plants.
2) It stinks to high heaven when warmed in summer.
3) Even if you restricted it to areas where not now or ever in the future
would you want anything to grow, this crap will migrate elsewhere.
4) It's a fire hazard.
5) You'll never be able to get it back out of the landscape once you
realize what a dumbass mistake you were talked into by deceptive sales
pitches.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he