Old 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Horseradish harvesting/growing recommendations

I planted Horseradish last year but I read differnet info on
harvesting. I read you can harvest in fall and overwinter in a
basement for early spring planting or harvest in early spring.

I opted for early spring since I don't have a basement and didn't want
to risk killing the roots. I want to harvest it now--although it is
growing quickly. I read you should harvest it when it is less than 8
inches high.

Do you harevst a particular part? Do you replant the tip and keep the
root closest to the top, or keep younger ends and replant the crown?

I just read that roots in the ground 2+years are stringy/woody. This
confused me. What do you do to prevent that if you harvest and
replant in Spring? Or does harvesting part of it avoid the
stirnginess?

I also read you should uncover and scrpae the roots once or twice
during the growing season to improve the quality. Anyone do that?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/
Old 03-05-2005, 01:08 AM
William W. Plummer

Tuck wrote:

On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:24:53 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

I planted Horseradish last year but I read differnet info on
harvesting. I read you can harvest in fall and overwinter in a
basement for early spring planting or harvest in early spring.

Harvest it in the fall. Dig up as many plants as you need, and let
the rest over winter.

If you want some in the spring, get out and dig. The growing plants
will have a more "watery" root, but it tastes the same.

I opted for early spring since I don't have a basement and didn't want
to risk killing the roots. I want to harvest it now--although it is
growing quickly. I read you should harvest it when it is less than 8
inches high.

The bigger the plant, the woodier and hotter the root. For
horseradish sauce the bigger hotter roots are better.

For slices, you want smaller first year plants.

Do you harevst a particular part? Do you replant the tip and keep the
root closest to the top, or keep younger ends and replant the crown?

The edible part of the plant is the taproot. Cut the tops off, and
compost them.

In SE Minnesota, horseradish is a "thug" plant. It spreads fast and
is very hard to clear. Plowing and rototilling are good ways to
invigorate the patch. It's a strong perennial, and any little bit of
root will sprout another plant.

It's a perennial patch, plant it once, get the patch going, and spend
the next twenty years trying to keep it confined, and the cows out of
it.

I just read that roots in the ground 2+years are stringy/woody. This
confused me. What do you do to prevent that if you harvest and
replant in Spring? Or does harvesting part of it avoid the
stirnginess?

Since most horseradish is chopped or ground and used as part of a
sauce, woody or stringy roots are no big deal. In fact, for a hot
sauce they are better than the smaller roots.

I also read you should uncover and scrpae the roots once or twice
during the growing season to improve the quality. Anyone do that?

Horseradish spreads invasively. I tried planting it in a large, deep
bucket, but it didn't thrive.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:49 PM
DigitalVinyl

Tuck thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

The thing about scraping the root once or twice during the season was
to "improve the quality" of the root, as in taste and size. Seemed
like a bit of work. Doesn't lok like I'll bother.

Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

Why?

Barbara

Old 04-05-2005, 12:52 PM
DigitalVinyl

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Horseradish spreads invasively. I tried planting it in a large, deep
bucket, but it didn't thrive.

I have it where it would be reasonably controlled for a while. the
roots would need to travel under two feet of slate in one direction to
get to a lawn where it could sprout. Everything else is concrete brick
patio. My friend said "watch the patio brick start buckiling up when
it spreads under them".

I did want to move it out back where it would be open to spread but
I'm not sure now. Don't know if I want it out of control back there.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:52:26 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Horseradish spreads invasively. I tried planting it in a large, deep
bucket, but it didn't thrive.

I have it where it would be reasonably controlled for a while. the
roots would need to travel under two feet of slate in one direction to
get to a lawn where it could sprout. Everything else is concrete brick
patio. My friend said "watch the patio brick start buckiling up when
it spreads under them".

"Thug plant" is appropriate. Mine is in a 10"(?) nursery pot that was
sitting on a cement strip driveway. I recently moved the pot, and
discovered a root had escaped through a drain hole and is thriving in
the lawn.

Recommendations are to harvest in the fall, before frost. As easily as
it grows, any ol' chunk of root should be enough to start a new plant.
Frost doesn't kill it, but probably the root is in optimum shape at
the end of the growing season.

(Enjoyed your garden album. You've really come a long way. New album
for this season?)

Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

[...]

If I can get my butt moving. Been working two jobs and no time for
gardening. I'm also expanding this year and haven't been able to turn
the lawn into planting ground yet. And today looks like wind and rain
all day again.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

[IMG] code is On

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Cumin - growing and harvesting? Sarah Dale United Kingdom 0 13-06-2004 07:09 PM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM