Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Brigitte

Default moving/transporting house plants

I apologize if this is not the group to ask this question. If there's a
better group, please let me know.

I'll be moving from Nebraska to California (3 days and nights on the road)
temporarily (9 months), and would like to take my house plants with me, but
not sure this is feasible with such a long trip.

I'm driving a minivan and pulling a small cargo trailer, and will be
traveling with 4 dogs and 2 cats, my computer and my clothes, and hopefully
my "indoor garden".

It's hard enough that I have to leave my "outdoor garden", with
strawberries, tomatoes, numerous annuals and perennials, so I'm hoping I can
somehow manage the indoor plants for the move.

Has anyone had any success at moving houseplants a long distance? If so,
how did you do it?

I have approximately 20 plants and their pots. The pots range in sizes of 4
inches, up to 12 inches. Only 2 of the big pots, and the plants in them are
no taller than 3 ft.

Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you,
Brigitte

Old 04-05-2005, 09:41 PM
BearDrummer

I do not know how TO do it, but I do know a few DON'Ts...

The plants will not survive in the trailer unless the trailer is air
conditioned or open to air movement - when live plants are transported
by road, they are either on flatbeds or in reefers (trucker talk for
"refridgerated unit") The heat from the sun beating down on an
enclosed space will heat them untill they are almost cooked.

Provide the cats with their own litter setup that they have previously
identified as the proper place to go, otherwise your plants will become
fair game...

I suggest a little research to make sure the plants are not toxic to
either cats or dogs... they will be stressed by being cooped up, and
will want something to bat at or chew.... there are enough houseplants
that are bad for kitties and puppies that this will be a
consideration...

Another concern that has nothing to do with the plants... you may want
to consider a kitty carrier - cats are more territorial than not, and
if you have them loose in the vehicle, there is a rather high
likelihood that they will try to (and succeed in) escape when you open
the door, in an attempt to get back to known territory... I learned
this the hard way

good luck moving

Tony

Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Toni

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
Another concern that has nothing to do with the plants... you may want
to consider a kitty carrier - cats are more territorial than not, and
if you have them loose in the vehicle, there is a rather high
likelihood that they will try to (and succeed in) escape when you open
the door, in an attempt to get back to known territory... I learned
this the hard way

Yes- please crate the animals.
A loose cat/dog underfoot is the last thing you need while driving, and a
crate precludes any opportunities for escape even in the case of an
accident. It is the only way to ensure their safety- I could tell you story
after story where a crate saved an animals life on a cross country trip.
If there is not room- make room. It is that important. The thought of six
animals loose in a car for that distance is frightening.

The plants will be fine. I moved a U-Haul full of 'em from Kentucky to
Florida over several days and they didn't even blink.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 05-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Brigitte

"Toni" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I've traveled with the animals many times and
wouldn't consider transporting them without crates. I plan to put the 2
cats in the largest crate I have, which is 48 inches long. I'll put a small
litter tray in there with them. And the dogs will be behind the seats,
where I have put one of those pet guard things. It's like a fence that goes
from the floor to the ceiling, and all the way across. That will give the
dogs plenty of room to move around.

I think I'll put my clothes, computer and plants in my Saturn, and just tow
it behind my van. It's small enough and lite enough that I can easily tow
it, and my plants will get the light and air they need.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Tennessee Tony

Brigitte wrote:
I think I'll put my clothes, computer and plants in my Saturn, and just tow
it behind my van. It's small enough and lite enough that I can easily tow
it, and my plants will get the light and air they need.

Just warning you that what is *just* a little car being towed, can
easily cause a deadly situation in an emergency stop.

Please check your minivan's towing capacity, and if it is up to specs,
please go slow. If it's not, don't use it to tow the car. I've seen
people die from what seems like an easy task.

Tony

Old 06-05-2005, 04:33 AM
Brigitte

"Tennessee Tony" wrote in message
Brigitte wrote:
I think I'll put my clothes, computer and plants in my Saturn, and just

tow
it behind my van. It's small enough and lite enough that I can easily

tow
it, and my plants will get the light and air they need.

Just warning you that what is *just* a little car being towed, can
easily cause a deadly situation in an emergency stop.

Yes, I've towed the car, as well as other vehicles and trailers many times.
Any fast moving vehicle can be put in deadly situations when the operator
doesn't know what they're doing.

Please check your minivan's towing capacity, and if it is up to specs,
please go slow. If it's not, don't use it to tow the car. I've seen
people die from what seems like an easy task.

I wouldn't pull a vehicle with a vehicle not up to the task.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 06-05-2005, 12:23 PM
quince

On Wed, 04 May 2005 15:25:25 +0000, Brigitte wrote:

I'll be moving from Nebraska to California (3 days and nights on the road)
temporarily (9 months), and would like to take my house plants with me, but
not sure this is feasible with such a long trip.

I'm driving a minivan and pulling a small cargo trailer, and will be
traveling with 4 dogs and 2 cats, my computer and my clothes, and hopefully
my "indoor garden".

It's hard enough that I have to leave my "outdoor garden", with
strawberries, tomatoes, numerous annuals and perennials, so I'm hoping I can
somehow manage the indoor plants for the move.

Has anyone had any success at moving houseplants a long distance? If so,
how did you do it?

They really do stop you at the border and make you surrender your plants
if they show any signs of stress, which they will if you have them cooped
up:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

Old 06-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Brigitte

"quince" wrote in message
news
[...]

The website says that they will confiscate them if they appear diseased. I
think "stressed" would be expected, after such a long trip.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 06-05-2005, 02:23 PM
BearDrummer

IT might be different for non-truck people, but the point is that they
are EXTREMELY paranoid about such things... and it would depend on the
knowledge (not likely in that area) and personal mood of individual
who checks your stuff out... do what you can to keep them as fresh
looking as you can

Old 22-05-2005, 06:43 AM
BearDrummer

Did they make it past the inspection gate ok?

Old 22-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Brigitte

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did they make it past the inspection gate ok?

I'll let you know! I'm leaving Wednesday, and hope to arrive at my
destination by Saturday or Sunday.

With all the plants and animals on this trip, I'm not sure what to expect
along the way.

Brigitte

Old 06-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Brigitte

"Brigitte" wrote in message

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did they make it past the inspection gate ok?

I'll let you know! I'm leaving Wednesday, and hope to arrive at my
destination by Saturday or Sunday.

With all the plants and animals on this trip, I'm not sure what to expect
along the way.

Brigitte

At the last minute I decided not to bring my plants. After loading them all
in my tow vehicle, it turned out they caused me to be overweight for the
axles on the vehicle.

A friend of mine will be watering them (hopefully) on a regular basis.
She's been known to murder plants in the past, but maybe she's
rehabilitated.

I'll be back home in August for one month, and my load won't be so heavy.
If they survive until August, I'll bring them back to California with me,
where I'll be staying for the following nine months.

Brigitte

BTW, there was no sort of inspection along the way. There were signs for
commercial growers to stop and be inspected, but nothing for people like
myself.

Brigitte

[IMG] code is On

Transporting Plants for 10 hours in enclosed box ? James Lawns 4 20-06-2009 06:43 PM
Transporting house plants in hot car tenplay Gardening 9 27-08-2007 12:15 AM
Laws regarding transporting house plants across state lines? (US) Tono Gardening 2 15-06-2004 12:02 AM
Transporting goldfish JGW Ponds 2 05-08-2003 04:21 AM
Transporting House Plant Cross Country Hobbs Gardening 3 18-03-2003 02:32 PM