Old 30-09-2006, 02:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tomato tip

Try it:
I always had lovely sweet home grown Toms until 2 - 3 years ago when they
all got some type of disease & died just before the toms started to ripen,
the whole plants went brown & withered. Nobody could explain what this
disease was
I tried a number of suggestions & remedies all to no avail, & had almost
given up, but being the eternal optimist I didn't give up, & guess what, I
now have 3 plants with lots of fruit & no sign of disease( I have a very
small yard).
The answer for me was to insert a piece of copper wire right through the
stem not too far from the soil.
Hope this helps someone like me who is also desperate to have REAL toms. Let
me know if it works for you too.
Good luck & best wishes
Pat

Old 02-10-2006, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Any zinc covered wire could also do the trick.
The idea is that the metals dissolve partly and create a sap based anti
fungicide which is always present, better than bordoaux (sic) spray
which does the same externally I would presume...
Try both and see. I havent yet....
Old 02-10-2006, 04:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks!! I know my dad swears by drinking suspension of silver or something
like that for the same reason. It makes a lot of sense. I will give it a
go!!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Dont do what the guy did this weekend though. He apparently found that
selenium (another metal) was good for prostate cancer, and overdosed. Er
and died because of his stupidity.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

By the way, I would be careful of using both the zinc and copper wires
together, as you may end up with a sap powered battery. The plant may or
may not like that and throw in the towel. But if you like to experiment,
you/we may have found a new way of getting "solar" power.. Or could that
be tomato plant power. It may be that the tomato could be powered and
grow like crazy if you apply a battery. I leave it to you how you decide
to torture your plants.....
The mind boggles.... Big grin!!! Gee I'm evil....
Old 02-10-2006, 09:58 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Urrrgh. Probably not one of the nicest ways to die. He should have gone
homeopathic or something.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Lol....
Giant Carniverous Tomato Plant Devours Whole Family And Dog In North
Queensland......

Old 03-10-2006, 12:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Brings to mind that 1978 B grade movie "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/

Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
ups.com...

meeee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
.au...

meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, now we have started this train of thought, I may be able to
hook the tomato to the parallel port of my computer and control it. The
other ports amy be too fast. Definately wouldnt be USB material. We may
even be able to read its thoughts.
Tomatoes could email tomatoes. Have to find a controller card first
though. Noticed some tomtom devices in a Car radio place today.
I wonder...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
meeee wrote:
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
ups.com...

meeee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
.au...

meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

What about wireless? Then you don't have to have cables every where.

I wonder if this could be extended to other Solonaceae (eggplant,
peppers, potatoes)? Just imagine self diging spuds .... no more sore
backs.

:-)

Old 03-10-2006, 05:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
ups.com...

meeee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message
m.au...

meeee wrote:

"PatC" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm...you could start a trend...the virtual tomato revolution begins
today!! No longer must tomatoes wilt and die! Although, would a
copper-enhanced tomato plant attached to your hard drive attract too much
static during storms?? Some kind of fuse would be needed, IMO. In case of
uncontrollable tomato power surge. Although then you could call it the
built-in fried tomato option. And charge extra. And you'd also have to farm
out the Tomato Tech helpline to India or Russia or somewhere Tomatoes don't
grow...although they'd have very helpful manuals I'm sure....

Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

would a
copper-enhanced tomato plant attached to your hard drive attract too much
static during storms?? Some kind of fuse would be needed, IMO. In case of
uncontrollable tomato power surge. Although then you could call it the
built-in fried tomato option. And charge extra. And you'd also have to farm
out the Tomato Tech helpline to India or Russia or somewhere Tomatoes don't
grow...although they'd have very helpful manuals I'm sure....

Storms? Lightning bolts? Uh-oh, look-out! You and Johnno have created
Frankenroma!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

Linda H wrote:
meeee wrote:

would a copper-enhanced tomato plant attached to your hard drive
attract too much static during storms?? Some kind of fuse would be
needed, IMO. In case of uncontrollable tomato power surge. Although
then you could call it the built-in fried tomato option. And charge
extra. And you'd also have to farm out the Tomato Tech helpline to
India or Russia or somewhere Tomatoes don't grow...although they'd
have very helpful manuals I'm sure....

Storms? Lightning bolts? Uh-oh, look-out! You and Johnno have created
Frankenroma!

Oh yes, the Frankenroma, able to resist all kinds of wilt, without the
use of viagra, scaring, the pants of everyone without caring, ro(a)ming
the streets of your local village being Frank and Roma at the same time,
a new kind of sex, never believed to have existed before. This twisted
tomato is without equal. Being raised using hydrophonics it is
nevertheless dependent on artificial fertiliser, and attracted heavily
to recycled sewage. This gives it the smell off one million dunnies. The
blowflies are gathering, only to be fooled into fertilising the
frankenroma flower... Be very very scared.

Only on Australia...for now. Showing at the Don Burke stand in
Melbourne. Hey, that smell aint the frankenroma, that's Don Burke.