Old 06-06-2005, 12:14 AM
J. Davidson

Default Fox in our yard, two, actually

We have had grey foxes in our yard too. Rather than have them killed on the
highway, we were leaving them dog food way out in the back.
I believe grey fox have black tipped tails, and red fox don't. Grey foxes
are less common.
We don't want them too near the house because of rabies scares.
Jackie
"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
I also posted this to austin.gardens and someone came back with possible

gray
fox, which it seems to be. Anyone with info, how you got rid of, or if

it's
okay to let them live on the property, etc...would be appreciated.

For several nights my husband has been seeing two animals. One larger

than the
other, the larger being about a third larger than the smaller. I got to

see it
tonight on the fence. It had a long, bushy tail, beautiful detail and

smooth.
I didn't see the color as it was too dark and the flashlight didn't do it.

When it finally ran off it made a sound like a gravelly roar, not a

screech. I
found something which sounds very much like what I heard:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...s/FoxChirp.wav

I looked at the Texas Parks and Wildlife website, but all they list is one

kind
of fox, and it is not supposed to live this far east in Texas. However,

it is
listed as living in open prairie, short and tall grass. Recently, on

SH-79 they
have literally removed hundreds of acres to build a new Walmart, an HEB

going
in, and tons of those shit bag houses that all look exactly alike, all

three
feet from the other.

I did see a rabbit the other day for a few days and now it is not here any
more. Coincidence? I also have not seen near as many lizards as I

normally
see. I can count how many I've seen this year, as opposed to every other

year
seeing many dozens daily.

So, do we have any Master Naturalists out there?

Victoria

Old 06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Stubby

Bourne Identity wrote:
[...]

We saw a fox this year in MA. It trotted up the driveway and across the
back yard to the woods.

Several years ago there was a "mother" fox and two little ones. They
were around for over a week and I put out a few cans of cat food for
them. (Our cat wasn't very interested in going out!). We found two
squirrel carcasses out front one morning but they were gone by the
afternoon. I think Mama fox killed them for the two little ones.

They eventually left, but there are many reports of foxes in this area.
Maybe we're encroaching on their turf.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Travis

Stubby wrote:
Bourne Identity wrote:
[...]

Maybe?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
karen

I did see a rabbit the other day for a few days and now it is not here
any
more. Coincidence? I also have not seen near as many lizards as I
normally
see. I can count how many I've seen this year, as opposed to every
other year
seeing many dozens daily.

So, do we have any Master Naturalists out there?

Victoria

Hello Victoria,

This site, which is not working for me now, maybe helpful to you if you
can get it: http://www.canids.org/SPPACCTS/greyfox.htm#Habitat

If not, if you google grey fox you'll find plenty of information. It
does appear that they do live in Texas.

Just a warning, be very careful if you have small pets that you let
outside. There was a lot in the news in Denver about cats being gutted
and their bodies being left near their homes. Since this was done so
precisely, it was feared that
this was done by a satanic cult or something. Later, it was decided
that foxes did it. I live within 10 minutes of downtown Denver and
have seen foxes in my neighborhood many times. You can bet I keep a
close eye on my cats!

As for gardening, I put in some bleeding hearts, Canterbury bells and a
Veronica today and it seems that the garden is finally coming together
after being "downsized" by putting up a new garage last fall. It used
to be postage stamp-sized, but now it's no more than a 2 cent stamp. I
did put in one large cherry tomato plant in a container and will try to
grow a regular tomato plant in a larger container, but no more of much
of a garden for me anymore. I do have herbs growing on the south side
of the house on a narrow strip, thyme, lemon thyme, French tarragon,
Russian tarragon (nasty pestilence that one is) oregano and mint. I
planted a new chive plant and planted some dill seeds which I fear
might not come up; they didn't come up last year, either, and dill
used to grow in that area. Bought a lovely teak table today (at a
great price) for the patio and it's starting to look good. It looked
like a construction zone for a long time.