Old 21-06-2005, 04:56 AM
Terrel

Default Please help with bush ID

I've mostly been a lurker for some time now. I'm de-lurking to see if
anyone can help me ID a bush growing in my backyard. I'm in the
Northeast U.S., Zone 5. The bush was here when we moved here.

It's about 5 feet tall, and probably just as wide. Here's a link to a
photo:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/YardPhotos/

(If the full photo doesn't come up, just click on the thumbnail
photo.)

The flowers have a nice fragrance to them. My neighbor says that they
smell like jasmine.

If this photo isn't good enough, I can take more.

Thanks for any help,

Terrel
--
Spamblocker in address. If you must reply by e-mail,
remove the last three letters of the alphabet and .invalid

Old 21-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Krystal78

Hi Terrel,

If it smells like Jasmine and looks like Jasmine... I would bet dollars
to doughnuts it is Jasmine!! And I would strongly believe that's what
you have growing in your yard. Like most flowers there are different
varieties of one particular plant/floweras most of us know

Found this link with a picture from a Florida Nursery for you to
compare, I do believe that's what you got!! Crape Jasmine is what they
call it..

http://www.nursery-report.com/ImageG...Plant_ID=T0190

Happy Gardening!!

Krystal

Old 21-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Anonny Moose

"Terrel" wrote in message
:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/YardPhotos/

The flowers have a nice fragrance to them. My neighbor says that they
smell like jasmine.

Looks more like a Mock Orange with double flowers than Jasmine to me. I have
a mixed row of P. lewisii and Oceanspray (Holodiscus discolor) blooming now.
Beautiful.

Old 22-06-2005, 12:15 AM
nonews

Tabernaemontana divaricata makes a good greenhouse plant in Plant Hardiness
Zone 5. Outside the greenhouse it is a tropical plant listed as hardy only
to Zone 10.

Old 22-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Terrel

Thanks for the help. I checked both Crape Jasmine and Mock Orange.

The Crape Jasmine, as far as I can tell, isn't winter-hardy in my
Growing Zone (Zone 5).

The photos I found of Mock Orange had flowers that looked different
than the flowers on my bush. The photos I found showed flowers with
one layer of petals. The flowers on this bush have multiple layers of
petals.

To see two close-ups of the flowers, click on the following link:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/YardPhotos/

(If you don't see a full-size photo, just click on the thumbnail
photos. If you do see a full-size photo, scroll down for the
thumbnails of the other photos.)

Do some Mock Orange bushes have this type of flower?

Again, thanks for any help.

Terrel
Old 24-06-2005, 03:02 AM
B & J

"Terrel" wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I checked both Crape Jasmine and Mock Orange.

The Crape Jasmine, as far as I can tell, isn't winter-hardy in my
Growing Zone (Zone 5).

The photos I found of Mock Orange had flowers that looked different
than the flowers on my bush. The photos I found showed flowers with
one layer of petals. The flowers on this bush have multiple layers of
petals.

To see two close-ups of the flowers, click on the following link:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/YardPhotos/

(If you don't see a full-size photo, just click on the thumbnail
photos. If you do see a full-size photo, scroll down for the
thumbnails of the other photos.)

Do some Mock Orange bushes have this type of flower?

Again, thanks for any help.

Terrel

It's philadelphus virginalis 'snowbelle' and has a wonderful fragrance.
Check the following French site for a good pictu

http://www.plantyfolia.com/dossiers/200410seringat.php

JPS