Old 03-07-2005, 05:40 PM
knowhair

Default English Ivy

I have English Ivy growing on a hillside in my back yard.
I do need something there to prevent erosion of the soil.
However weeds do grow amoung the ivy,and I pull them out(they
do tend to come out easy).Is there anything I can do to prevent
the weeds from coming back,or at least cut down on my time pulling
these weeds? I would try a concentrated weed control(Ortho,
or Round Up),but I'm afraid it would kill the Ivy.The weed pulling is a
real pain.I pull weeds every 3 weeks it seems.
Thank you
Tom

Old 04-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 3 Jul 2005 09:40:35 -0700, knowhair wrote:
I have English Ivy growing on a hillside in my back yard.
I do need something there to prevent erosion of the soil.

That's probably not what you want if you're concerned about erosion.
http://thornhenge.org/IvyIsEvil/main...IvyIsEvil.html
http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/ivy_slopes.html

A mixture of species, some deep rooted, some less so, generally is much more
efficacious.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
VMWOOD

Try Preen or Preen & Green. Preen is a weed preventer & Preen & Green
is a weed preventer plus fertilizer. We use it with great results. Get
rid of all existing weeds and then work it into the soil according to
directions. It is a pre-emergence so won't hurt any existing weeds (or
plants) but prevents others from germinating and coming up.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Old 04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Vox Humana

"knowhair" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have English Ivy growing on a hillside in my back yard.
I do need something there to prevent erosion of the soil.
However weeds do grow amoung the ivy,and I pull them out(they
do tend to come out easy).Is there anything I can do to prevent
the weeds from coming back,or at least cut down on my time pulling
these weeds? I would try a concentrated weed control(Ortho,
or Round Up),but I'm afraid it would kill the Ivy.The weed pulling is a
real pain.I pull weeds every 3 weeks it seems.
Thank you
Tom

The local radio garden show host claims that Round-Up will not kill English
Ivy. You try that on a small area to see what happens. You could also pull
the existing weed and then put down some Preen for Groundcover.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:42 PM
axemanchris

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"knowhair" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have English Ivy growing on a hillside in my back yard.
I do need something there to prevent erosion of the soil.
However weeds do grow amoung the ivy,and I pull them out(they
do tend to come out easy).Is there anything I can do to prevent
the weeds from coming back,or at least cut down on my time pulling
these weeds? I would try a concentrated weed control(Ortho,
or Round Up),but I'm afraid it would kill the Ivy.The weed pulling is a
real pain.I pull weeds every 3 weeks it seems.
Thank you
Tom

The local radio garden show host claims that Round-Up will not kill

English
Ivy. You try that on a small area to see what happens. You could also

pull
the existing weed and then put down some Preen for Groundcover.

I have accidentaly sprayed some of my English Ivy with roundup while trying
to control some other weeds. The ivy died.

Jacqui

Old 04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Stephen Henning

"Vox Humana" wrote:

The local radio garden show host claims that Round-Up will not kill English
Ivy. You try that on a small area to see what happens. You could also pull
the existing weed and then put down some Preen for Groundcover.

Research shows that English Ivy should be sprayed with a 2 or 3%
solution of Roundup-Pro (glyphosate) when 3 to 5 fully expanded new
leaves exist (early spring). Mature leaves are less receptive to such
control so the timing is critical.

This same control works with black berries, greenbrier, and similar had
to control waxy materials.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Travis

Vox Humana wrote:
"knowhair" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have English Ivy growing on a hillside in my back yard.
I do need something there to prevent erosion of the soil.
However weeds do grow amoung the ivy,and I pull them out(they
do tend to come out easy).Is there anything I can do to prevent
the weeds from coming back,or at least cut down on my time pulling
these weeds? I would try a concentrated weed control(Ortho,
or Round Up),but I'm afraid it would kill the Ivy.The weed
pulling is a real pain.I pull weeds every 3 weeks it seems.
Thank you
Tom

The local radio garden show host claims that Round-Up will not kill
English Ivy. You try that on a small area to see what happens.
You could also pull the existing weed and then put down some Preen
for Groundcover.

I used Round-Up to slow down ivy enough so I could pull out the bits
that did not die.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
english ivy && deer Janet Baraclough Gardening 0 20-09-2003 08:22 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 01-12-2002 06:25 AM