Old 15-07-2005, 04:01 PM
FardinA

Default slug and lawn

Hello,
recently, I have discovered that my lawn is infested by slugs. In the
morning, when I walked on the lawn I spotted quite a few slugs. Since,
slugs are more actice during night, that gave me an impression that I
have lots of slugs hiding in my lawn. I do not have any flower
bed/vegetables yet. I just have lawn and weed. Here is my question
which I like to have your advice: Are slugs not good for grass? Do they
feed on grass too? Looks like there are many non-chemical slug control.
which one you recommend?

thanks

Old 15-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Travis

FardinA wrote:
Hello,
recently, I have discovered that my lawn is infested by slugs. In
the morning, when I walked on the lawn I spotted quite a few slugs.
Since, slugs are more actice during night, that gave me an
impression that I have lots of slugs hiding in my lawn. I do not
have any flower bed/vegetables yet. I just have lawn and weed. Here
is my question which I like to have your advice: Are slugs not good
for grass? Do they feed on grass too? Looks like there are many
non-chemical slug control. which one you recommend?

thanks

Slugs don't seem to bother my grass.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 15-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Doug Kanter

"Travis" wrote in message
FardinA wrote:
Hello,
recently, I have discovered that my lawn is infested by slugs. In
the morning, when I walked on the lawn I spotted quite a few slugs.
Since, slugs are more actice during night, that gave me an
impression that I have lots of slugs hiding in my lawn. I do not
have any flower bed/vegetables yet. I just have lawn and weed. Here
is my question which I like to have your advice: Are slugs not good
for grass? Do they feed on grass too? Looks like there are many
non-chemical slug control. which one you recommend?

thanks

Slugs don't seem to bother my grass.

They're genetically programmed to figure out which plants we value the most,
craved throughout the winter, and can only be started/grown once per season.
They are the epitome of evil.

Old 16-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Victoria, BC, Canada - USDA Zone 8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FardinA
Hello,
recently, I have discovered that my lawn is infested by slugs. In the
morning, when I walked on the lawn I spotted quite a few slugs. Since,
slugs are more actice during night, that gave me an impression that I
have lots of slugs hiding in my lawn. I do not have any flower
bed/vegetables yet. I just have lawn and weed. Here is my question
which I like to have your advice: Are slugs not good for grass? Do they
feed on grass too? Looks like there are many non-chemical slug control.
which one you recommend?

thanks

I just posted a new article to my website dealing with slugs
and how to win the war with them:

How to Win the War Against Slugs and Snails
http://www.handales.com/displayartic...?doc=523&grp=1

and

Rid Your Garden of Slugs
http://www.handales.com/displayartic...?doc=288&grp=1

According to these articles, they are night feeders and are drawn out on overcast and rainy day by the cool air. Watering seems to bring them out into the open, I've found.

They seem to like (as suggested in one of the articles) smooth leaved plants. Hostas are defiantly a favorite, while hairy leaved plants get off Scot free. I never see holes chewed into my Dusty Miller (Lychins coronaria) or Lambs' ears (Stachys byzantina)...
too hairy I guess.

FardinA wrote:
Looks like there are many non-chemical slug control.
which one you recommend?

As suggested in one of the articles a saucer of beer (any brand) seems to attract them. I have several of them hidden about the garden. They seem to like hiding under empty ice cream and margarine containers. They can easily be retrieved from these and disposed of.

If you can put in a pond, I have found that frogs or toads(?) make quick meals of them. We have a rain barrel set into the ground with a few plants in that seems to have attracted our toad/frog. The birds like to bathe in it too.

Putting rock salt around seems to deter them as well.

Good luck.

[IMG] code is On

Slug eats slug Judith in England United Kingdom 38 27-09-2014 10:59 PM
Slug pellets and chickens??? shannie United Kingdom 12 25-04-2003 08:10 PM
slug and snail control Snooze Gardening 16 05-03-2003 12:51 PM
slug and snail control Snooze Roses 21 04-03-2003 07:53 PM
Slug and snails nuisance HaaRoy United Kingdom 16 06-01-2003 02:21 AM