Old 11-10-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Lawn Varmit (0/1)

I live in South Carolina and for several years have had my lawn wiped
out by some despicable vermin. Attached you will find several photos
of my lawn which was limed, tilled, fertilized and seeded with Titan
fescue two weeks ago.

This unknown pest not only rolls a palm sized piece of turf over and
thus kills the grass, the adjacent grass is killed because it is
covered. Over a period of several days the turf looks as if it has
been tilled again. You would be welcome to inspect the site.

Could you assist in the identification of this culprit and reccommend
a responsible method of their control? I failed to mention that three
years ago the entire area was heavily treated with milky spore as a
precaution against grubs that could entice pest digging.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:43 AM

"I live in South Carolina and for several years have had my lawn wiped

out by some despicable vermin. Attached you will find several photos
of my lawn which was limed, tilled, fertilized and seeded with Titan
fescue two weeks ago.

This unknown pest not only rolls a palm sized piece of turf over and
thus kills the grass, the adjacent grass is killed because it is
covered. Over a period of several days the turf looks as if it has
been tilled again. You would be welcome to inspect the site.

Could you assist in the identification of this culprit and reccommend
a responsible method of their control? I failed to mention that three
years ago the entire area was heavily treated with milky spore as a
precaution against grubs that could entice pest digging. "

As far as I know, you can't post pictures to this newgroup and
consequently we have no photos. You say something has torn the turf
up, which was only tilled and seeded 2 weeks ago? Not to be picky,
but at that point, what you should have would be the beginnings of new
seedlings, not what I would call real turf, that can be rolled over.

But anyway, the only thing that I know of that would cause this would
be a varmit like a skunk, searching for grubs. You say the area was
treated with milky spores 3 years ago. But do you now have grubs?

Old 11-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Pat

Raccoon. Look here http://www.urban-wildlife.com/adc.htm about 3/4 down
the page

Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 PM
World Traveler

"Pat" wrote in message
Raccoon. Look here http://www.urban-wildlife.com/adc.htm about 3/4 down
the page

I agree -- I have a similar problem with raccoons, who are incredibly smart
at finding ways to get food.

Since you know they're around, be especially careful with things like
outdoor refrigerators or pet food, because the 'coons will get into them.
You'll need a trap or need to hire a trapper to relocate the animal.

We have a raccoon who will come into the screened lanai through the cat
door, go to the small refrigerator, open it, and take out the open can of
catfood and finish it off. And it only comes on the infrequent times we
have accidentally left a can in the outdoor frig.

On another occasion I heard someone walking on my side porch, at 3 AM --
with a limp. Step, slide, step, slide. The raccoon had taken a plastic jug
of catfood accidentally left on the table, pulled it to the ground, and
taken it back to the cat door. That was the sliding sound I heard. The jug
was too big to go through the door, so the raccoon had pulled the mouth of
the jug to the cat door, opened it, and then sat outside, reaching through
the propped-open door to get the food out of the jug.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
bryanska

..22 Long Rifles are cheap and have enough velocity to kill with a
well-placed shot.

..22 Magnums are more expensive but more likely to kill.

Something like a .223 is chambered in many cheap rifles and will do the
job conifdently.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Doug Kanter

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
.22 Long Rifles are cheap and have enough velocity to kill with a
well-placed shot.

.22 Magnums are more expensive but more likely to kill.

Something like a .223 is chambered in many cheap rifles and will do the
job conifdently.

You might want to ask the OP what kind of neighborhood he lives in, i.e.:
How far's the nearest house? There are people dumb enough to take your
suggestions without understanding that these bullets will travel as far as a
mile under certain conditions.

Old 13-10-2005, 04:05 PM
David Raleigh Arnold

Default Raccoon stories: was Lawn Varmit

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:27:26 +0000, World Traveler wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
Raccoon. Look here http://www.urban-wildlife.com/adc.htm about 3/4
down the page

I agree -- I have a similar problem with raccoons, who are incredibly
smart at finding ways to get food.

The parents of a friend of my daughter had some nice koi in a pond
by their house. Raccoons shifted the circulating pump's hose over
the side, waited until the pond was pumped out, and ate the fish.
This is a cut above imitating tool use, it's actual invention.
They are smart as hell. daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique". Nothing else is close.