Old 11-12-2005, 04:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Default Stalling snowblower

Hi, all. I have a problem with my Yardman/Tecumseh snowblower stalling. It
was run out of gas in the spring and worked ok for the first two times this
year. Now, sometimes it will run for 20 or 30 minutes and then stall other
times it won't even run long enough for me to get back to the handlebars. It
always restarts if I push the primer button, but doesn't always stay
running. The gas cap was dropped and the rubber part and the foam part came
out. (Am I missing any pieces?) I think I put it back together the right
way. (Foam on the post then covered by the rubber funnel with the wide part
inside the cap and the narrow part facing into the gas tank). I have also
run the blower with the cap loose. There is fresh gas in the tank. When the
blower stalls, it almost sounds as if it isn't getting enough gas. I am not
at all familiar with engines so I don't know where to start. I don't want to
take it apart myself, but I will if it can be fixed by a DIY.

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Frank in Snowy Michigan

Old 11-12-2005, 04:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

take the nut off the carb fuel bowl,there is tiny passageway in it
clean it out useing a tag wire or needle. running your blower out of
gas leaves some gas in the carb that turns to gum over the summer. lucas

Old 11-12-2005, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Depending on the age of your blower, it sounds like your carb might be
dirty. Especially when you say it starts fine with the primer. You already
ruled out the possibility of it being a "gravity" feed problem by loosening
the cap, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Do you have an inline filter going to the carb? I'd check that to make sure
it's not clogged. If you want to attempt repair by yourself, it shouldn't be
too much of a challenge. I would pick up a repair manual for your model
Tecumseh so you can get an idea of the work involved before you start. As
long as you have a socket/wrench set, screwdrivers, and regular and needle
nose pliers. If there are jets in the carb that can be taken out with a
screw driver, make sure your screwdriver is the right size, otherwise you
may end up stripping it (I've done this many of times). Just make sure the
screw driver is snug with the jet.

I think the Tecumseh engines have a fixed jet in the bowl (again, depending
on age). You may get lucky just by blowing the jets with compressed air (I
assume you have an air compressor).

Have you tried running a bottle of Gumout carb cleaner through the tank?
Pick up some of that and mix it in proportion (one bottle treats a tank full
in a car!). This shouldn't be too critical since it's combustible and is
somewhat like a fuel.

The theory of carburetors isn't difficult, so learning a little about them
definitely may pay off for you in the future and save you lots of money.
Knowledge learned now can be applied to your other pieces of equipment (weed
wacker, chain saw, etc.). I've been in the small engine repair business for
years, so feel free to ask any questions.

Mike

Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

I would refrain from sticking anything through jets with the risk of
damaging them. Use compressed air instead.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Thanks for the advice. This is its second winter. It was new last year. I
forgot to add that I put some gumout in the fuel. How long does it take to
'work'? (Should I just try to let it run out of this tank of gas and refill
it again?) {Even at $2.25 a gal. Gas is still cheaper than a trip to the
repair shop.}
There is no easily removable air cleaner. There is a shield next to the
exhaust that covers the throttle, choke and 'key'. But the choke knob does
not seem come off easily, if at all, and I am hesitant to force it. I could
not find a model number for the engine. It is a 4 stroke I think it is a 5
horsepower two stage blower.

I did not see any filters in the gas line between the tank and where it
disappears into the engine body.

The tube seems to be creased where it bends from the tank to the body, but
since it is a soft tube, I don't think that is the problem.

What else can I add?

Thanks again

Frank

Still in snowy Michigan with about 4 more inches predicted by tomorrow

. ..

Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Thanks, but I have no idea where the carb bowl is on this machine.
In fact, I couldn't even find the model number for the engine.

I liked the song at your link. Gives me the chills every time I hear it.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

I'm surprised to hear this is happening on a machine that is two years old.
Did the machine ever sit for a long period of time with old gas? Snow blower
engines don't usually have air cleaners on them (mine doesn't; I've worked
on many that didn't). The whole reasoning with that is the season they're
used for is not dusty. Winter air is somewhat clean.

If the gumout doesn't help in a tankful, then there's a good chance it will
require some manual cleaning. Do you know the model and make of your blower?
I can try to find out what engine it is.

[...]

. ..

Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Well, it sat over the summer, but I had run it out of gas before I put it
away. I have used this proceedure for all my gas equipment ever since I got
my first mower.

The Tecumseh manual that came with it has LH195SA (HSSK50-55)
Four Cycle engine Horizontal Crankshaft Air cooled.
It also came with an electric starter (120 volt)

I was able to take the protective cover off over the choke opening, but had
no clue what to do with it.
Is there any way to bypass the ''key" for testing purposes?

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
I'm surprised to hear this is happening on a machine that is two years
old. Did the machine ever sit for a long period of time with old gas? Snow
blower engines don't usually have air cleaners on them (mine doesn't; I've
worked on many that didn't). The whole reasoning with that is the season
they're used for is not dusty. Winter air is somewhat clean.

If the gumout doesn't help in a tankful, then there's a good chance it
will require some manual cleaning. Do you know the model and make of your
blower? I can try to find out what engine it is.

Geez Mike - 2 years old ? Doesn't seem like it would have had a chance to
get "dirty" or gummed up - and if it some times runs for 20 or 30 minutes
I'd be looking for something else. It's easy (and cheap) to replace the
spark plug. I've had mice nests under the shroud that cause motors to
overheat. Is the choke opening up all the way ? If not, it would be
starving for gas after heating up.

[...]

. ..

Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Thanks for your thoughts, Srgnt. Don't forget that it sat all summer without
any gas additive, even though I ran it dry last spring.
I had the shroud off yesterday and there was no obstruction of the choke. It
moved with the lever.
When it dies, it is almost as if I pushed the throttle lever to the off
position. Nothing will keep it running. But if I push the primer button
three times, it will start right up again.
As an addendum, I put the gas that was in the can into my car, and bought a
fresh can and tried to use that with some gumout. It was no help. I will try
again this morning.

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

. ..

Old 12-12-2005, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

Isn't that about normal for a Tecumseh

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Balderstone

In article , Frank Rosenbaum
wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts, Srgnt. Don't forget that it sat all summer without
any gas additive, even though I ran it dry last spring.
I had the shroud off yesterday and there was no obstruction of the choke. It
moved with the lever.
When it dies, it is almost as if I pushed the throttle lever to the off
position. Nothing will keep it running. But if I push the primer button
three times, it will start right up again.
As an addendum, I put the gas that was in the can into my car, and bought a
fresh can and tried to use that with some gumout. It was no help. I will try
again this morning.

Are you sure you put the gas cap back together properly? I wonder if
there's a vacuum forming in the gas tank that's srestricting the flow
of fuel...

Try loosening the cap slightly and see if it stalls then.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Can anyone help??

Help is he

http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-1.jpg

http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-2.jpg

http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-3.jpg

Old 12-12-2005, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Frank Rosenbaum
wrote:

[...]

No, I am not, but I tried it witht he rubber 'funnel' both ways.

I have run the blower witht he cap off. It still stalls. There are only two
pieces plus the cap. I put it together whti the foam cube touching the cap
and the rubber part with the wide base over the foam and pushed down to seat
it. If this is incorrect, I don't see how else it fits. Unless I am missing
a part.

Try loosening the cap slightly and see if it stalls then.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

No, I don't think so. This is the first problem I have had with any Tecumseh
engine. And it is my 4th.
"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
Isn't that about normal for a Tecumseh

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley