Old 12-12-2005, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

Default Stalling snowblower

While it is nice, I only have a two car garage, three cars and a small shed.

Even though it isn't working right now, I'll stick with my 'one lung putt
putt'.
Thanks for the link.

wrote in message news:q9inf.17375$qF6.1639@trnddc01...
Can anyone help??

Help is he

http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-1.jpg

http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-2.jpg

http://www.weldingfaq.com/V8snowblower-3.jpg

Old 12-12-2005, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Depends on the circumstances really. It doesn't take a small engine 20-30
minutes to get up to operating temperature. A fuel flow problem is
definitely a possibility.

As Srgnt points out, you can check the spark plug. If there's a
reddish/glazed appearance to the plug, the engine could be running hot.
Speaking of the spark plug, was it ever changed? Here's some examples of
spark plug conditions:
http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...k/wrong_ht.jpg

If the choke isn't closing, the engine would be running too rich. Carb
operating principles do not change with temperature.

Mike

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
I'm surprised to hear this is happening on a machine that is two years
old. Did the machine ever sit for a long period of time with old gas?
Snow blower engines don't usually have air cleaners on them (mine
doesn't; I've worked on many that didn't). The whole reasoning with that
is the season they're used for is not dusty. Winter air is somewhat
clean.

If the gumout doesn't help in a tankful, then there's a good chance it
will require some manual cleaning. Do you know the model and make of your
blower? I can try to find out what engine it is.

Geez Mike - 2 years old ? Doesn't seem like it would have had a chance to
get "dirty" or gummed up - and if it some times runs for 20 or 30 minutes
I'd be looking for something else. It's easy (and cheap) to replace the
spark plug. I've had mice nests under the shroud that cause motors to
overheat. Is the choke opening up all the way ? If not, it would be
starving for gas after heating up.

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice. This is its second winter. It was new last year.
I forgot to add that I put some gumout in the fuel. How long does it
take to 'work'? (Should I just try to let it run out of this tank of gas
and refill it again?) {Even at $2.25 a gal. Gas is still cheaper than a
trip to the repair shop.}
There is no easily removable air cleaner. There is a shield next to the
exhaust that covers the throttle, choke and 'key'. But the choke knob
does not seem come off easily, if at all, and I am hesitant to force it.
I could not find a model number for the engine. It is a 4 stroke I think
it is a 5 horsepower two stage blower.

I did not see any filters in the gas line between the tank and where it
disappears into the engine body.

The tube seems to be creased where it bends from the tank to the body,
but since it is a soft tube, I don't think that is the problem.

What else can I add?

Thanks again

Frank

Still in snowy Michigan with about 4 more inches predicted by tomorrow

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
Depending on the age of your blower, it sounds like your carb might be
dirty. Especially when you say it starts fine with the primer. You
already ruled out the possibility of it being a "gravity" feed problem
by loosening the cap, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Do you have an inline filter going to the carb? I'd check that to make
sure it's not clogged. If you want to attempt repair by yourself, it
shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I would pick up a repair manual
for your model Tecumseh so you can get an idea of the work involved
before you start. As long as you have a socket/wrench set,
screwdrivers, and regular and needle nose pliers. If there are jets in
the carb that can be taken out with a screw driver, make sure your
screwdriver is the right size, otherwise you may end up stripping it
(I've done this many of times). Just make sure the screw driver is snug
with the jet.

I think the Tecumseh engines have a fixed jet in the bowl (again,
depending on age). You may get lucky just by blowing the jets with
compressed air (I assume you have an air compressor).

Have you tried running a bottle of Gumout carb cleaner through the
tank? Pick up some of that and mix it in proportion (one bottle treats
a tank full in a car!). This shouldn't be too critical since it's
combustible and is somewhat like a fuel.

The theory of carburetors isn't difficult, so learning a little about
them definitely may pay off for you in the future and save you lots of
money. Knowledge learned now can be applied to your other pieces of
equipment (weed wacker, chain saw, etc.). I've been in the small engine
repair business for years, so feel free to ask any questions.

Mike

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
Hi, all. I have a problem with my Yardman/Tecumseh snowblower
stalling. It was run out of gas in the spring and worked ok for the
first two times this year. Now, sometimes it will run for 20 or 30
minutes and then stall other times it won't even run long enough for
me to get back to the handlebars. It always restarts if I push the
primer button, but doesn't always stay running. The gas cap was
dropped and the rubber part and the foam part came out. (Am I missing
any pieces?) I think I put it back together the right way. (Foam on
the post then covered by the rubber funnel with the wide part inside
the cap and the narrow part facing into the gas tank). I have also run
the blower with the cap loose. There is fresh gas in the tank. When
the blower stalls, it almost sounds as if it isn't getting enough gas.
I am not at all familiar with engines so I don't know where to start.
I don't want to take it apart myself, but I will if it can be fixed by
a DIY.

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Frank in Snowy Michigan

Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

All this engine needs is the carb. taken off, Taken apart cleaned with carb. and choke spray cleaner good and reassembled. There was fuel still in the bottom of the bowl that gummed the main jet up. Next time you put it up use fuel stabilizer and leave it in the tank and carb., Start it up a couple times during the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rosenbaum
Thanks for your thoughts, Srgnt. Don't forget that it sat all summer without
any gas additive, even though I ran it dry last spring.
I had the shroud off yesterday and there was no obstruction of the choke. It
moved with the lever.
When it dies, it is almost as if I pushed the throttle lever to the off
position. Nothing will keep it running. But if I push the primer button
three times, it will start right up again.
As an addendum, I put the gas that was in the can into my car, and bought a
fresh can and tried to use that with some gumout. It was no help. I will try
again this morning.

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Mike"
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

. ..

wrote in message
[...]

__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Balderstone

In article , Frank Rosenbaum
wrote:

I have run the blower witht he cap off. It still stalls.

Then my guess was wrong.

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Old 13-12-2005, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

might try a new spark plug.

Old 13-12-2005, 04:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel M Kelly

here is the winner

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 13-12-2005, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Replace it with a different model: http://www.turbinegroup.com/page1.html

Old 13-12-2005, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Alternates are available: http://www.turbinesbygateway.com/snowblowers.html

Old 13-12-2005, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in message
While it is nice, I only have a two car garage, three cars and a small
shed.

Even though it isn't working right now, I'll stick with my 'one lung putt
putt'.
Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't think the following on a two year old engine, but my 7 or 8 hp
Tecumseh on an old snowblower has a problem with the intake manifold bolts
working loose allowing air to be sucked in. This of course screws up the
gas/air mix and the engine stalls out. I can tell it's happening when it
requires that I run the engine with choke part way on to prevent stalling.

Tom

I'd find a place for that v8 snowblower if only to show off in front of the
neighbors. Unfortunately, I bought this old blower after moving from AZ
back to IL and then found out my uncle plows all of his family's drives free
so he has something to do in the Winter.

Old 13-12-2005, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

wrote in message news:VWDnf.38232$Y7.5241@trnddc02...

[...]

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought it would be just looking at the url. If I
was going to go that route, I would indulge my interest in railroads and use
a rail mounted rotary snow plow. But, alas and alack and lacking a lass, I
have to stick with something that will fit in my garage along with the two
cars.

Thanks for the chuckle anyway.

Frank

Old 17-12-2005, 12:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Frank,

How did you make out with checking the spark plug? Still having problems?

Old 17-12-2005, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Rosenbaum

HI, Mike. I checked the plug. It was black but in desent shape and cleaned
up easily. It was not the problem, however. I took the snowblower to the
'hospital' and they cleaned out the carb and had it ready the next day.

Thanks for your interest and support.