Old 23-01-2006, 11:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rw

Default Experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control?

Has anyone had any experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed
Control.

Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control
http://www.purebarnyard.com/cockadoodledoo/products.asp

We live in Masachusetts and are considering trying it on our lawns this
April. Clover has been our biggest problem, but we seem to have a
touch of everything. Also, any alternative suggestions would be great.

Thanks, rw

____________________________________
rw - http://www.addieryan.com/

Old 24-01-2006, 05:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:28:56 -0800, rw wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control.

Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control
http://www.purebarnyard.com/cockadoodledoo/products.asp

We live in Masachusetts and are considering trying it on our lawns this
April. Clover has been our biggest problem, but we seem to have a touch
of everything. Also, any alternative suggestions would be great.

Good day Ryan, I have not personally used the above product (could they of
gotten a better name..?), but I am familiar with the use of corn gluten
meal as a pre-emergent. The short answer is yes.... it does work. The long
answer is it may not be the cheapest route to go though. As far as I can
tell, these organic weed control companies are marking up a rather cheap
product ( corn gluten meal ) and selling it at a very inflated price. The
meal they sell is 'pearled' unlike what you can get at a food/bakery
supply store, but they are both the same.

Application rates will be much higher than one would expect for
satisfactory results. The Cockadoodle DOO company (O' how it pains me to
type that name!!) recommends 100 pounds per 5000 square feet. That's a lot
of corn meal. Even at .50 cents a pound that's still 50 dollars per
application and your lawn will have a yellow look to it for a few weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to talk you out of the corn
meal. I've read many positive data sheets on the use of corn meal. You can
rest assured that your not killing the planet and the corn meal does offer
a small fertilization at the same time. My mother-in-law is a baker and
she used plain old corn meal gluten in a few flower beds with good
results.

Clover is a sign post in your lawn. It's telling you that you may have :
compacted soil
low soil fertility (low nitrogen)
too low of a mowing height

Your first step is to remove the clover. You can do this in a variety of
ways. How you do it is really up to you. Chemical or mechanical, the
choice is yours. After the clover is gone, improve the soil with aeration
and fertilization. As far as your mowing height goes, try to keep the lawn
areas mowed at 3" high. This will inhibit weed seed germination and help
keep new weeds from taking root. Good luck and good day.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com

Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

rw wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed
Control.

Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control
http://www.purebarnyard.com/cockadoodledoo/products.asp

We live in Masachusetts and are considering trying it on our lawns this
April. Clover has been our biggest problem, but we seem to have a
touch of everything. Also, any alternative suggestions would be great.

I'm in MA, too. Clover used to be desirable in lawns. But then
broad-leaf weed killers came along, clover went away and our values
changed to "grass-only". I apply liquid broad-leaf control very
selectively each year. This keeps it out of the environment in general
and off of our garden plants.

Cockadoodle Doo probably works but I believe it is less concentrated
than ordinary chemical fertilizers. Being "natural" does not make it
"good" (cocaine, arsenic, alcohol etc are natural).
Old 09-03-2006, 02:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:
rw wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed
Control.

Cockadoodle DOO Organic Weed Control
http://www.purebarnyard.com/cockadoodledoo/products.asp

We live in Masachusetts and are considering trying it on our lawns this
April. Clover has been our biggest problem, but we seem to have a
touch of everything. Also, any alternative suggestions would be great.

I'm in MA, too. Clover used to be desirable in lawns. But then
broad-leaf weed killers came along, clover went away and our values
changed to "grass-only". I apply liquid broad-leaf control very
selectively each year. This keeps it out of the environment in general
and off of our garden plants.

That's basicly the approach I take too. There are two extremes. One
is the folks that buy the 4 Step program concept and put chemicals down
whether they are needed or not. And too frequently it becomes a 7
step program, because they put down herbicide again over the whole lawn
and the first sight of a couple dandelions. Or insecticide because the
lawn looks bad, whether they have a real identified problem or not.

The other extreme is to try to do everything organicly. That's fine if
you can get it to work for you, are willing to pay the much higher cost
and incur the extra work. Using corn gluten is a good example. It
will work, but it takes a whole lot of it and it's expensive.
Eliminating weeds that do germinate or insects is much harder.

I put down a pre-emergent/fertilizer combo in Spring, (late April here
in NJ), then use a small tank sprayer to spot treat any weeds during
the rest of the season. In fall I apply fertilizer twice, early Sept,
then again about 5 weeks later. I only apply insecticide if I have a
specific problem. I think this is a reasonable approach that
minimizes the amount of chemicals, while achieving a balance.

If you have a lawn that is a real mess, my approach is to use whatever
chemicals it takes to get it right. After that, a good thick lawn
will need a lot less to keep it that way.